Ever wonder how often some of these goobs are calling NFA?

Machineguns, assault rifles, subguns, SBRs, etc. Photos, questions, discussion. General talk.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

robpiat
Silent But Deadly

Ever wonder how often some of these goobs are calling NFA?

Post by robpiat »

I see threads on here constantly about when stuff goes pending, when stuff gets assigned, approved etc.

Did you ever consider they might be hiring people to answer the phone instead of examiners?

If you call more than twice in the first 6 months you are wasting my tax dollars.
M40A1308M
Silent But Deadly

Re: Ever wonder how often some of these goobs are calling NF

Post by M40A1308M »

Yes LOL I wonder if you call more than twice you get put in the " THAT GUY" pile. I have said this often QUIT obsessing over your pending dates and check cashing dates. NO ONE GIVES ONE FLYING MONKEY F**K about your item. They work 8 hours just like most of us and when they hear from "THOSE GUYS" it just wants to make them slow down further. And yes they read this site and I know for a fact some it concerns and most they just laugh at it cause there hands are tied just as your are. s--t rolls down hill so start calling the White House for your pending status.

Unless I don't see it for about a year and a month I don't even care.
L1A1Rocker
Silent But Deadly

Post by L1A1Rocker »

The person that answers the phone and looks up the info is NOT connected to the examiner's process. The only way calling can hold things up is if you ask to speak directly with your examiner.
BISHOP
Silent But Deadly

Post by BISHOP »

I tell my friends to just send in their forms and expect to wait 8 months. Stop bothering them by constantly calling.
Its a process, and if there are any problems THEY will let you know.

BISHOP
The Rusty wire, that holds the cork, that keeps the anger in, gives way.....
yamatitan
Silent But Deadly

Post by yamatitan »

I have a decent amount of stamps and I have never called for any of them. Just send them off and wait...
DoctorSolo
Silent But Deadly

Post by DoctorSolo »

I call them every day, sometimes just to say hi.

Thanks for your tax dollars by the way! :mrgreen:
Gagtoe

Post by Gagtoe »

I called twice, just wanted to make sure they went pending. Two stamps, cashed 1 week apart. Pending dates 3 weeks apart. Haven't talked to them since.
Unobtanium
Silent But Deadly

Post by Unobtanium »

I looked at my bank account and know when the check cleared. I waited a few months later and asked when it went pending and verified that there were no issues. You only need to call one time to have all the info that you mentioned.
BLAKE2131
Silent But Deadly

Post by BLAKE2131 »

Just set it and forget it like the ronco cooker when it comes to waiting for your tax stamp
Blake
Liberty Suppressors
Remember to follow us on Facebook and Twitter
strobro32
Silent But Deadly

Post by strobro32 »

I can't deny that I am a goob. :D I have 25+ stamps and and 4 of them took year to clear because of lost/missing paperwork.

I watch my account to make sure the check clears and then I call between month 2-3 to check. A secretary always answers my question and the examiners are never bothered. Answering my query is the least they can due for $200. :)
If it doesn't splatter, shatter, burst or explode, it's not worth shooting.
M40A1308M
Silent But Deadly

Post by M40A1308M »

You would not believe the number of posts on various web sites of people obsessing over this. I would hate to see what they would do if the BTAF called and said DENIED I am almost positive there head would explode. Can you see it these guys or girls have a huge kitty calender hung up with big red X's and the supposed date to complete. And they probably call off work or take vac time due to the stress of waiting. Passing back and forth muttering "should I call NO better not they will know it's me" while sweating there balls off.

I have four stamps that have been filled out and LEO signed and the check is in the envelope but I have been to lazy to put it in the mail so it just sits on the desk waiting. YES it just sitting there doing nothing!!!!! And its been 2 months since the sign off . HAHAHAHA
Oh, but I will rush home after my job ships me back and move them from one side of my desk to the other.
Abiqua
Silent But Deadly

Post by Abiqua »

Having had the ATF lose one of my Forms 4 AFTER approval, I always call. When the form didn't show up at my dealer over a month after approval, I called and had to get my examiner to send a certified copy.
rockman96
Silent But Deadly

Post by rockman96 »

M40A1308M wrote:You would not believe the number of posts on various web sites of people obsessing over this. I would hate to see what they would do if the BTAF called and said DENIED I am almost positive there head would explode. Can you see it these guys or girls have a huge kitty calender hung up with big red X's and the supposed date to complete. And they probably call off work or take vac time due to the stress of waiting. Passing back and forth muttering "should I call NO better not they will know it's me" while sweating there balls off.

I have four stamps that have been filled out and LEO signed and the check is in the envelope but I have been to lazy to put it in the mail so it just sits on the desk waiting. YES it just sitting there doing nothing!!!!! And its been 2 months since the sign off . HAHAHAHA
Oh, but I will rush home after my job ships me back and move them from one side of my desk to the other.
Too much detail....sounds like someone speaking from personal experience to me. :lol:

Once, I held on to an approved Form1 for right at a year before I actually built the SBR. But I had it in-hand, and I was free to build it whenever I felt like it....I'll be damned if I would go through the BS of getting forms RTG and then sit on them, knowing I have a six month wait ahead.
rockman96
Silent But Deadly

Post by rockman96 »

strobro32 wrote:I can't deny that I am a goob. :D I have 25+ stamps and and 4 of them took year to clear because of lost/missing paperwork.

I watch my account to make sure the check clears and then I call between month 2-3 to check. A secretary always answers my question and the examiners are never bothered. Answering my query is the least they can due for $200. :)
I agree. I want to know that it actually went pending so there aren't any surprises 6-8 months down the road. The forms have to go through the Atlanta office for check cashing/sorting and then on to Martinsburg. s--t happens sometimes. A phone call around week 10 or so doesn't inconvenience anyone and I know my s--t is in-process, and then I leave it alone. If people don't want to do this that's fine....just don't come on here 6 months later and whine about how your forms were lost and you have to wait longer. :lol:

On the other hand, weekly calling does pass the point of ridiculous....but it doesn't affect me if someone wants to do that, and I don't lose sleep over it.
rjacobs
Senior Silent Operator

Post by rjacobs »

I usually call a month after I see the check clear to get the pending date. Then I call around the 5 month point from pending to see if there is a status update(if I havent received anything yet). Last one I called on(first or second week of July) the girl said nope, nothing yet, probably 1st of August. Got the stamp late the next week, was approved and signed the DAY after I called. shitty timing on my call I guess.
coyote223
Silent But Deadly

Post by coyote223 »

Probably just as many people, obsessing over how to shame people into not calling the BATF for an update. Because they think it slows down an already extremely slow process. The slower they go, the more calls they will get. The only part of the process they are efficient at, is taking your money. Oh and Washington D.C. is where the people wasting your tax dollars are located,,, :wink:
eastern_hunter
Silent But Deadly

Post by eastern_hunter »

Have called once in five transfers. Seemed to make sense at the time. Didn't help any. Would call again if a transfer was running longer than the current normal.
M40A1308M
Silent But Deadly

Post by M40A1308M »

I might have been like that when I purchased my first NFA items. But no more, I get a kick out of watching these other spaz out's. The worst is some of the local dealers get the every week visit asking "Did it come in yet?" And he had some buy the item then want a refund because they went home and could not handle the wait. This is a very want it this minute society. I think the BTAF could be revamped into a quicker process buy why? for you? LOL that is one funny joke. In fact I see allot more slow operation in the near future. 2year wait maybe? or more . And maybe the will get around to raising the price of the transfer 500$ or more maybe? So I say call all you want it's your wasted time and effort.
twodollarbill
Silent But Deadly

Post by twodollarbill »

During the RUSH in '86.....form 3's were still being done in a week
and form 4's were being approved in a month. At least that is what I remember.
This year I mailed 5 in-bound transfers in mid-March, two Colt Thompsons, a Colt M16A2 and 2 for suppressor builds.
The transfers for the automatics came back approved in late June. 8)
Last week I thought I just got the form 1's back.....but I forgot to write in serial numbers. :?
You would think someone would of caught that earlier.
rockman96
Silent But Deadly

Post by rockman96 »

M40A1308M wrote:I might have been like that when I purchased my first NFA items. But no more, I get a kick out of watching these other spaz out's. The worst is some of the local dealers get the every week visit asking "Did it come in yet?"
Yep, I knew it....personal experience. :lol:
M40A1308M wrote:I think the BTAF could be revamped into a quicker process buy why? for you? LOL that is one funny joke. In fact I see allot more slow operation in the near future. 2year wait maybe? or more . And maybe the will get around to raising the price of the transfer 500$ or more maybe? So I say call all you want it's your wasted time and effort.
You're quite the abstract thinker to be able to pull anything even remotely to that effect from ANYTHING I've said. If you're not addressing me with this, then maybe you could use quotes to make it more clear.
M40A1308M wrote:Yes LOL I wonder if you call more than twice you get put in the " THAT GUY" pile. I have said this often QUIT obsessing over your pending dates and check cashing dates. NO ONE GIVES ONE FLYING MONKEY F**K about your item. They work 8 hours just like most of us and when they hear from "THOSE GUYS" it just wants to make them slow down further. And yes they read this site and I know for a fact some it concerns and most they just laugh at it cause there hands are tied just as your are. s--t rolls down hill so start calling the White House for your pending status.

Unless I don't see it for about a year and a month I don't even care.
Lol, where are you getting all this from?
kusai
Silent Operator

Post by kusai »

The only reason I call once atleast is to make sure they have my paperwork and "did not loose my check"
dtom29
Silent But Deadly

Post by dtom29 »

yamatitan wrote:I have a decent amount of stamps and I have never called for any of them. Just send them off and wait...
Same here.....I know the check is cashed, that's all I need.
WasDustyJacket
Silent But Deadly

Post by WasDustyJacket »

M40A1308M wrote: The worst is some of the local dealers get the every week visit asking "Did it come in yet?"
I had a dealer not even call me when one of my forms came in.

I called the BATFE and found out it was approved something like 3 weeks before, then called the dealer and the answer was that they received 2 weeks before and were meaning to call me..........
Shoot softly, and carry a big clip.
dtom29
Silent But Deadly

Post by dtom29 »

Yeah, thats bad. I'm fortunate, my dealer is always on top of things.
jeepjon
Silent Operator

Post by jeepjon »

I called after my checks cashed to make sure they were in pending status. One of mine wasn't....so I waited another month to check that one last item. I also called at 4 months (just a few days ago) for my first form 1 to make sure that it wasn't in problem status.

If that makes me a goob...

I wish I could call every day, but that would make the wait much worse. I think trying to forget about it is the best way to make the time more acceptable.

-Jon