Bendersquint what is your opinion?

Machineguns, assault rifles, subguns, SBRs, etc. Photos, questions, discussion. General talk.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

66427vette
Silent But Deadly

Bendersquint what is your opinion?

Post by 66427vette »

Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Re: Bendersquint what is your opinion?

Post by Bendersquint »

Just read the thread.....

You can copy paste this onto that forum if you like Vette.

Sleeper362 thinks I am not gentle? :(
He is local to me, we should get together and go shooting, then pass judgement! ;)

We run into this situation all the time and is pretty easy to deal with without having potentials for NFA violations.

This is what I recommend when people call about this topic(tri-daily discussion). My 9 step program, this is the easiest way.

*****ASSUMING......You only own 1 AR15 style rifle.*****

1 - Separate the upper and lower.
2 - Remove the barrel from the upper receiver for the changing of the muzzle device.
3 - Once the barrel is removed take the upper and give it to a friend or relative(don't give out the serialized lower) etc.

What this does is eliminates a complete rifle. If you don't have a upper receiver how does the soon to be "short barrel" attach to the registered component? It doesn't, no possibility for violation even remotely. This procedure would also be fine as long as you have no stripped uppers around but having other complete rifles if kosher, again, no way to attach to a rifle no violations.

4 - Now with upper receiver gone remove the old muzzle device.
5 - Clean and prep for the new muzzle device.
6 - Test install new device to be sure it will keep your rifle non-SBR. ATF uses a dowel down the barrel and measures from bolt face, you should do the same.
7 - Install new device per ATF requirements for permanent attachment(1100degree silver solder or pin and weld over top).
8 - Collect your upper receiver and reassemble.
9 - Take it to the range and get pictures of your work, without pictures it didn't happen!

People first reaction is to get rid of the lower. While it also works in this assumed situation it doesn't work if you have another complete rifle.

Personally I never give out the serialized portion, better to keep it in your control IMHO.

Doing it this way eliminates any fears of intent, possession of SBR parts or upper or whatever fears that keep you up at night. Noone wants to have to explain ANYTHING to the ATF ever.

One of my customers recently did this and put the upper receiver in his wife's trunk, she went to work and he did the conversion when she was gone, she came home and he reassembled the upper. Worked perfectly, no violations and no registered receiver(either Title2 or via 4473) to be keeping track of since it never left your side.

While it sucks to have to do things this way and may inconvenience you for a little bit its alot cheaper than sending it to a shop to do.

These are the rules we have to play by but if you don't want to play anymore you can send your guns to me we need some more test platforms anyways. heck, I will come and pick them up to save you the shipping! ;)
rogerme
Silent But Deadly

Post by rogerme »

The things us law abiding folks go through go through to stay legal. The criminals sure have it easy.
"If you carry a gun, people call you paranoid. That's ridiculous. If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid about?"

Clint Smith
SER

Post by SER »

Hey Bender,

I know you have work to do but,
I am wondering about this thread on building an AR15 pistol. It doesn't seem this simple.

For your review; http://www.300blktalk.com/forum/viewtop ... 16#p762216
Never mistake my silence for submission
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Replied in the thread.
Sleeper362
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sleeper362 »

I have come to understand you don't F--k around when it comes to giving advice. Fair enough? :D
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Sleeper362 wrote:I have come to understand you don't F--k around when it comes to giving advice. Fair enough? :D
Fair enough. :wink:
Sleeper362
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sleeper362 »

Bendersquint wrote:
Sleeper362 wrote:I have come to understand you don't F--k around when it comes to giving advice. Fair enough? :D
Fair enough. :wink:
By the way, next event you have let me know, I would like to attend