Denny's Refuses to Serve Gun-toting Police Officer

Links to popular or interesting stories in the news.

Please post links rather than copies of stories due to honoring copyright rules.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw, renegade, Hush

Hush
Silent But Deadly

Post by Hush »

http://nation.foxnews.com/culture/2013/ ... ce-officer
700PSS
Elite Member

Re: Denny's Refuses to Serve Gun-toting Police Officer

Post by 700PSS »

Bad move. :x
66427vette
Silent But Deadly

Post by 66427vette »

Denny's food sucks anyway did them a favor.
continuity
Elite Member

Post by continuity »

Interesting. If the story is an accurate presentation of the incident, wonder how long the manager retains their job.

The Denny's in my district is overjoyed when any of us show up for a meal.
What amount of a man is composed of his own collection of experiences... and the conclusions that those experiences have allowed him to "know" for certain as "Truth"? :Ick
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

continuity wrote:,,,
The Denny's in my district is overjoyed when any of us show up for a meal.
As has been my observation around here with every "working class" restaurant in the area. I am not an officer but I see uniforms at nearly every place I eat out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
Libertarian_Geek
Silent But Deadly

Post by Libertarian_Geek »

If I'm out of town and want to find a real good little restaurant, I ask a local cop. They most often seem to know the best places to eat.

So, why were these guys eating at Denny's? :lol:
https://www.facebook.com/DareDefendOurRights
TROOPER
Silent But Deadly

Post by TROOPER »

Years ago I worked at Pizza Hut, and the restaurant would let uniformed police officers eat at the buffet (plus beverage) for free because it presented a certain atmosphere. It was a smaller town, so the police force wasn't that large, and the total number on duty at any particular time wasn't very large. Either way, it was the smart move.
snapshot
Senior Silent Operator

Post by snapshot »

Don't worry, when martial law gets enacted I'm sure they'll get used to armed individuals in uniform.
"And remember, the most dangerous thing in the world is still ignorance." - RYP
ick
Silent But Deadly

Post by ick »

Something doesn't add up here.

Methinks that someone had the pleasure of experiencing time on parole and the affiliation with "the inherent beauty of the parole system" has soured someone's pride. This person, through their job, was then afforded the seemingly valid opportunity to assert their "feelings" as justification for demands against said officers.
-----
Ick
continuity
Elite Member

Post by continuity »

TROOPER wrote:...the restaurant would let uniformed police officers eat at the buffet (plus beverage) for free because it presented a certain atmosphere...
While the thought is appreciated, and I suppose in some ways a marketing strategy, it kinda rubs something in me the wrong way.

The people employed, and the patrons in line behind me, pay taxed full price for their meals/food. The tax is what pays for the uniform, and services that go with it. It seems that out of respect for that fact, that cops should pay for their meals/coffee.

I always do. Insist on it. Really appreciate the thought, but have left cash on counter. If I'm put in the position, there is no issue with quid pro quo. No interest in becoming an embarrassment to my office... or myself.

Will say though, that in the Wendy's drive through last week, the driver in front of my cruiser paid for my order. I was non-plussed. Gave the window girl that deer in the headlights look. They know me there. She said..."You lose" and giggled. Sometimes it's the little things that really make you realize someone cares. They were already gone by the time I was made aware. Couldn't even run their plate for ID. (not that I would have).

Enough of that.

Apologies for thread derail behavior.
What amount of a man is composed of his own collection of experiences... and the conclusions that those experiences have allowed him to "know" for certain as "Truth"? :Ick
Hush
Silent But Deadly

Post by Hush »

I guess someone spoke to the manager, they now allow the police and their side arms.

I thought I put up the reply post but I guess I messed up. :?

Found it: http://radio.foxnews.com/toddstarnes/to ... ennys.html
sprbak

Post by sprbak »

Irony is when a machete wielding maniac comes in they will wish they had an armed officer in the restaurant.
TROOPER
Silent But Deadly

Post by TROOPER »

It can rub you the wrong way all day long, but in addition to the altruistic nature of it -- which is what I assume rubs you foul -- there is a business side of it as well. By having a heavier-than-normal LEO atmosphere, that particular location was able to entertain a slightly more family-friendly clientele as the type of teenage ne'er-do-wells that discourage family dining are themselves discouraged from a few cop cars in the parking lot.

Don't be reluctant to accept gratitude; plenty of folks have their bacon saved, or their lives positively influenced by LE. "I pay a part of their salaries indirectly" may not feel like enough to them when they were so happy to hear that walkie-chatter in their time of need.
ick
Silent But Deadly

Post by ick »

TROOPER wrote:It can rub you the wrong way all day long, but in addition to the altruistic nature of it -- which is what I assume rubs you foul -- there is a business side of it as well. By having a heavier-than-normal LEO atmosphere, that particular location was able to entertain a slightly more family-friendly clientele as the type of teenage ne'er-do-wells that discourage family dining are themselves discouraged from a few cop cars in the parking lot.
Think of all of the business Denny's will lose by having the cop on premises. How many ill-tempered and anti-police people turn in the opposite direction when they see a patrol car in the lot? We will never know. Think how many people are turned-off by the presence of a cop reminding them of their current parole status, past transgressions, people with outstanding wrrants, unpaid court-ordered restitution or child support... ...let alone the hundreds of wrongly convicted offsping "that are really good boys" that the cops framed for something they didn't do, etc.

Their green spends the same as everyone else’s....
-----
Ick
Libertarian_Geek
Silent But Deadly

ick wrote:
TROOPER wrote:It can rub you the wrong way all day long, but in addition to the altruistic nature of it -- which is what I assume rubs you foul -- there is a business side of it as well. By having a heavier-than-normal LEO atmosphere, that particular location was able to entertain a slightly more family-friendly clientele as the type of teenage ne'er-do-wells that discourage family dining are themselves discouraged from a few cop cars in the parking lot.
Think of all of the business Denny's will lose by having the cop on premises. How many ill-tempered and anti-police people turn in the opposite direction when they see a patrol car in the lot? We will never know. Think how many people are turned-off by the presence of a cop reminding them of their current parole status, past transgressions, people with outstanding wrrants, unpaid court-ordered restitution or child support... ...let alone the hundreds of wrongly convicted offsping "that are really good boys" that the cops framed for something they didn't do, etc.

This made me wonder: Does Pukemon eat at Dennys?
ick
Silent But Deadly

Post by ick »

Has pokémon been online the last few days?
-----
Ick
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

I haven't seen him and I don't ignore him anymore since his cop biased posts seemed to drop in frequency.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
TROOPER
Silent But Deadly

Post by TROOPER »

ick wrote: Think of all of the business Denny's will lose by having the cop on premises. How many ill-tempered and anti-police people turn in the opposite direction when they see a patrol car in the lot? We will never know. Think how many people are turned-off by the presence of a cop reminding them of their current parole status, past transgressions, people with outstanding wrrants, unpaid court-ordered restitution or child support... ...let alone the hundreds of wrongly convicted offsping "that are really good boys" that the cops framed for something they didn't do, etc.

Those are all valid points -- your last sentence in particular.

Normally I'd be happy to make a blanket statement with a token caveat taked on ... for "plausible deniability". That said, the value of your last statement cannot be overlooked so haphazardly; capitalism is serious business -- and the financial bottom line of a business definies that business. I do not know if the supposed fiscal benefits of promoting a heavier-than-normal cop atmosphere outweighed the financial cost of discouraging other people from dining there. There are so many factors to take into account; the locale in question, the reputation and perception of the local police force, the size of the dining cops' group, the frequency of their visits... all variables that cannot be isolated to give a true measure of the costs and benefits of that busines practice.

In the instance that I referred to, I believe -- I don't know -- but I believe it was a fiscally sound decision.
Libertarian_Geek
Silent But Deadly

TROOPER wrote:
ick wrote: Think of all of the business Denny's will lose by having the cop on premises. How many ill-tempered and anti-police people turn in the opposite direction when they see a patrol car in the lot? We will never know. Think how many people are turned-off by the presence of a cop reminding them of their current parole status, past transgressions, people with outstanding wrrants, unpaid court-ordered restitution or child support... ...let alone the hundreds of wrongly convicted offsping "that are really good boys" that the cops framed for something they didn't do, etc.

Those are all valid points -- your last sentence in particular.

Normally I'd be happy to make a blanket statement with a token caveat taked on ... for "plausible deniability". That said, the value of your last statement cannot be overlooked so haphazardly; capitalism is serious business -- and the financial bottom line of a business definies that business. I do not know if the supposed fiscal benefits of promoting a heavier-than-normal cop atmosphere outweighed the financial cost of discouraging other people from dining there. There are so many factors to take into account; the locale in question, the reputation and perception of the local police force, the size of the dining cops' group, the frequency of their visits... all variables that cannot be isolated to give a true measure of the costs and benefits of that busines practice.

In the instance that I referred to, I believe -- I don't know -- but I believe it was a fiscally sound decision.
Interesting perspective and I'm sure it has an effect. I doubt that the waiter or local management considered it. I would venture to guess that those who would be spooked off by the police wouldn't be quality customers anyway. Meaning that they would probably be poor tippers, order lower margin food (if at all), and would be likely to just take up space with a cup of coffee or free refill iced tea. I've seen local restaurants close because these folks destroyed any potential profitability. The good wait staff left, and the kitchen was hardly needed. The majority of customers were just there to socialize and enjoy the free AC while ordering the minimum.
ick
Silent But Deadly

Post by ick »

Excellent points. The clear thinking prose in this post gave me some additional ideas.

Your comment about the minimum order and "enjoying the free AC" reminded me of one of our group in college. Due to the fact that I had a vehicle at college we often would throw together a group and go to Denny's. This one kid always ordered one cup of coffee and toast. I swear that was all he ever ate at Denny's. The waitress was NOT happy.

I am wondering if the presence of police changes the cost curve as well. With the police on-location I wonder if there is an appreciable decrease in graffiti in the stalls, less sloppy destroyed bathrooms, less drunks that don't pay their bill drooling on the waitresses, less fight cleanup and revenue loss due to bad reputation, etc.

http://youtu.be/cR3BlDstnTs

Other factors might include less accidents in the parking lot (as customers are slightly more careful, benefitting all customers) and more amenable employees due to a perceived overall improvement in the quality of the customer.

I suppose that there are other factors to consider, such as...

One struggle in the food business is turning over tables so that the potential revenue per table is as high as possible. This, generally, is only a profitability problem during peak times. I would assume a large portion of the time that police are at Denny's there are many tables already open. This would make turnover less of a concern. So police over-staying their non-profitable welcome is damaging beyond the lost sales when it screws up the table turnover rates.
-----
Ick
poikilotrm
Silent But Deadly

Post by poikilotrm »

ick wrote:Something doesn't add up here.

Methinks that someone had the pleasure of experiencing time on parole and the affiliation with "the inherent beauty of the parole system" has soured someone's pride. This person, through their job, was then afforded the seemingly valid opportunity to assert their "feelings" as justification for demands against said officers.
1. I've never been on parole.

2. I've seen local cops force their way to the front of the line and demand free s--t from frightend restaurant workers.

3. I fully understand and endorse the actions of the people at Denny's, and would frankly prefer to eat in a terrorist free zone.

4. Get stuffed.
The moments I was censored was the moment that I won. That's twice, now.Thanks jwbaker, et al, for my victories.
poikilotrm
Silent But Deadly

Post by poikilotrm »

ick wrote:Has pokémon been online the last few days?
I'm in Israel.
The moments I was censored was the moment that I won. That's twice, now.Thanks jwbaker, et al, for my victories.
poikilotrm
Silent But Deadly

Post by poikilotrm »

Libertarian_Geek wrote: Interesting perspective and I'm sure it has an effect. I doubt that the waiter or local management considered it. I would venture to guess that those who would be spooked off by the police wouldn't be quality customers anyway. Meaning that they would probably be poor tippers, order lower margin food (if at all), and would be likely to just take up space with a cup of coffee or free refill iced tea. I've seen local restaurants close because these folks destroyed any potential profitability. The good wait staff left, and the kitchen was hardly needed. The majority of customers were just there to socialize and enjoy the free AC while ordering the minimum.
Or... Maybe they would be middle class to very wealthy people who know about the local polyester street gang and their predatory ways. NOBODY in my AO is enthusiastic about the cops being around. The same goes for people in Chicago, NYC, New Orleans, Baltimore, and a whole host of other locales. The cops are a far greater threat to an honest decent person than any drug dealer or other scum.
ick
Silent But Deadly

Post by ick »

poikilotrm wrote:
ick wrote:Something doesn't add up here.

1. I've never been on parole.

2. I've seen local cops force their way to the front of the line and demand free s--t from frightend restaurant workers.

3. I fully understand and endorse the actions of the people at Denny's, and would frankly prefer to eat in a terrorist free zone.

4. Get stuffed.
Pokémon, relax. I was saying that the person that complained about the firearm had some sort of vengeance in mind. I wasn't claiming knowledge about a storied past that you might have.
poikilotrm wrote:The cops are a far greater threat to an honest decent person than any drug dealer or other scum.
That statement is ridiculous. I sense no such "feeling" in anyone I know in Pennsylvania.
Last edited by ick on Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
-----
Ick
poikilotrm
Silent But Deadly

Post by poikilotrm »

OK. Sorry if I took that wrong.