Why is government stockpiling guns, ammo?

Links to popular or interesting stories in the news.

Please post links rather than copies of stories due to honoring copyright rules.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw, renegade, Hush

Hush
Silent But Deadly

Post by Hush »

Exclusive: Joseph Farah examines Obama's plan for 'civilian national security force'

Read more at http://www.wnd.com/2013/02/why-is-gover ... orb3j6E.99
silencertalk
Site Admin

Re: Why is government stockpiling guns, ammo?

Post by silencertalk »

It is a flat-out lie and hoax. I hate when the right lies as much as the left.

The DHS did not buy an excessive amount of ammunition! It is only 600 rounds per year per agent.
bakerjw
Elite Member

Post by bakerjw »

For 40 S&W they put out contracts for 750,000,000 over a 5 year period. The last I checked, there were 240,000 DHS employees. For 40S&W, that comes out to 625 per year.

That doesn't seem like much, but I'd like to see how many times a year that the average DHS employee goes to the range. How many are just desk jockeys? They cover FEMA, USCG, Secret Service, INS, customs and border.

http://www.dhs.gov/xlibrary/assets/dhs-orgchart.pdf

I still don't trust them to act in our best interests though.
July 5th, 2016. The day that we moved from a soft tyranny to a hard tyranny.
-k-
Industry Professional

Post by -k- »

If you think LE departments didn't learn something about supply after the first Obama election you probably have a bunch of mags on backorders right now...

Training and duty ammo is ordered by many departments as far in advance as possible.
continuity
Elite Member

Post by continuity »

Interesting but reasonable. Our office just went .40 cal side arm supplied duty weapon/practice caliber only. The 9mm and .45 acp cases of ammo in the armory have been replaced by .40 cal stuff. 100 thousand rounds...?

We can now carry "approved" non .40 cal weapons, but will need to provide own fodder to feed them.

On the upside, the office is also replacing issue Glocks with SigSaur's. Not the model I prefer to carry, and
it gave me the most excellent reason to buy a new P226 in .40 cal. Can hear my P220 sobbing in the safe as my new lady slips into the P220's old holster. Why do I feel like I'm cheating on a life mate?
What amount of a man is composed of his own collection of experiences... and the conclusions that those experiences have allowed him to "know" for certain as "Truth"? :Ick
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

450,000,000 max over 5 years. That is 90,000,000 rounds per year. That is only if they get the max quantity, which they probably will not do.

And that is not just for DHS, but also for ICE as well.
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

But people create these hoax stories, and then other repeat them while the person who made up the lie laughs at the chain letter they created.

If it seems hard to believe, then it warrants a fact check.
johndoe3
Silent But Deadly

Post by johndoe3 »

It is a flat-out lie and hoax. I hate when the right lies as much as the left.

The DHS did not buy an excessive amount of ammunition! It is only 600 rounds per year per agent.
RS, you cannot just use the total DHS employees and divide into the amount purchased. For example, TSA is part of DHS and has 65,000+ employees. Less than 10% of TSA agents are qualified for and carry a handgun. One could say the same thing about FEMA which is part of DHS, that almost all employees do not carry. Yes, Border Patrol, Secret Service and ICE do carry and are part of DHS. However, even for those units of DHS, there are administrative employees who do not carry.

So the true answer is somewhere between your assertion and that of the original assertion. Just a wag, but one could probably use 40% or less of total DHS employees as those who carry.

BTW, I agree with your central premise that these agencies may just be responsibly locking in long range supplies at today's prices, when those in government know that the Fed inflating the money supply at 13.1% a year (M1) is likely to cause higher prices down the road.
You can fool all of the people some of the time, and some of the people all of the time...and those are pretty good odds.
Brett Maverick, gambler on TV (also used by Progressive leaders everywhere)
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

Even at 1500 or 2000 rounds per year per agent that doesn't sound excessive to me. Get closer to 10 times that number and then I'd be suspicious but only they they were using agency money to fund competitive practice sessions. As a disclaimer I will say I don't have an for the number of agents employed by each agency.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895