Scientists are getting closer to resurrecting extinct specie

Links to popular or interesting stories in the news.

Please post links rather than copies of stories due to honoring copyright rules.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw, renegade, Hush

Hush
Silent But Deadly

Scientists are getting closer to resurrecting extinct specie

Post by Hush »

Interesting.

Scientists are getting closer to resurrecting extinct species, so now is the time to talk about ‘de-extinction’

De-extinction is an emerging field, but bringing back vanished species won’t be anything like Jurassic Park, scientists say. A National Geographic magazine cover story, TV special and a public forum are helping bring the soon-to-be-controversial topic to the public eye.
Comments (21)
By Victoria Taylor / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nationa ... z2Nd64Nb2H
RWBlue
Silent But Deadly

Re: Scientists are getting closer to resurrecting extinct sp

Post by RWBlue »

Not sure if this is a good thing.

But I would love to hunt saber tooth tigers or Raptors.
poikilotrm
Silent But Deadly

Post by poikilotrm »

They could do mammoths right now. I'd like to see it happen.
The moments I was censored was the moment that I won. That's twice, now.Thanks jwbaker, et al, for my victories.
TROOPER
Silent But Deadly

Post by TROOPER »

What would be the point? These various creatures died out because the world wouldn't sustain them.

A child is born, it dies at age 4 because it has a congenital heart defect. Reviving that child doesn't fix the heart.

A sabertooth tiger wouldn't have a habitat, or the instinctual behaviors that would enable it to survive. And if it did - which would be luck - it might just as easily have a negative impact... like rabbits introduced to Australia, or Russian hogs introduced into Texas.
poikilotrm
Silent But Deadly

Post by poikilotrm »

TROOPER wrote:What would be the point? These various creatures died out because the world wouldn't sustain them.
Passenger pigeons and mammoths were hunted to extinction. The dire wolf and the Tasmanian Devil as well. Lots of animals were eradicated by us, not nature.
The moments I was censored was the moment that I won. That's twice, now.Thanks jwbaker, et al, for my victories.
RWBlue
Silent But Deadly

Post by RWBlue »

poikilotrm wrote:
TROOPER wrote:What would be the point? These various creatures died out because the world wouldn't sustain them.
Passenger pigeons and mammoths were hunted to extinction. The dire wolf and the Tasmanian Devil as well. Lots of animals were eradicated by us, not nature.
Tasmanian Devil is still alive.
You are thinking of the Tasmanian tiger.

BTW, I agree with you on those animals.
TROOPER
Silent But Deadly

Post by TROOPER »

Meaning we deserve to bring them back? My point remains unchanged. Even if we're the factor that removed them, the reality is no different - a stress in the environment has presented itself that these animals were unable to cope with. Beyond even that, that stress in the environment is still here.

There is no place for a wooly mammoth.
poikilotrm
Silent But Deadly

Post by poikilotrm »

RWBlue wrote:
Tasmanian Devil is still alive.
You are thinking of the Tasmanian tiger.
Yep. Thanks for the correction.
poikilotrm
Silent But Deadly

Post by poikilotrm »

TROOPER wrote:Meaning we deserve to bring them back? My point remains unchanged. Even if we're the factor that removed them, the reality is no different - a stress in the environment has presented itself that these animals were unable to cope with. Beyond even that, that stress in the environment is still here.

There is no place for a wooly mammoth.
Is there a place for white tail deer? They were hunted to extinction in Georgia and surrounding areas in the 30s. How about elk? They were hunted to extinction in the same areas as well.

Is there a place for nordic reindeer? They were made extinct by Chernobyl, but the herds were re-created using Canadian elk.

How about grey and right whales? They were on the way out due to over harvesting. Should we finish the job? They were unable to cope with the stressor that we were placing on their populations.

The place for the wooly mammoth is on the plains of Canada and the northern US. I would love to have them back, and love to able to hunt them.
bakerjw
Elite Member

Post by bakerjw »

I'm all for bringing back extinct species. We certainly can't release them into the wild as their habitats are gone but they could be kept in natural enclosures. DNA has even been detected in fossilized dinosaur bones. Bringing some of them back would certainly have a certain cool factor.
July 5th, 2016. The day that we moved from a soft tyranny to a hard tyranny.
poikilotrm
Silent But Deadly

Post by poikilotrm »

bakerjw wrote:I'm all for bringing back extinct species. We certainly can't release them into the wild as their habitats are gone but they could be kept in natural enclosures. DNA has even been detected in fossilized dinosaur bones. Bringing some of them back would certainly have a certain cool factor.
The niche still exists for most pterodactyl species. They could be released. Mammoth could have most of their old range back without repercussions. Anklyosaurs and other medium sized herbivores could be out and about with no trouble. I would love to see the pteros, though.
Bone16
Elite Member

Post by Bone16 »

poikilotrm wrote:
bakerjw wrote:I would love to see the pteros, though.

Hell, you'd need 20MM proximity fused to bring them down though! 8)
America is not at war. The U.S. Military is at war. America is at the mall.

Bone 16, Asshat at large, OUT!
poikilotrm
Silent But Deadly

Post by poikilotrm »

Most pterosaurs were the size of a robin to the size of a pelican. Imagine flocks of pterosaurs like pelicans... that would be fantastic.
Libertarian_Geek
Silent But Deadly

Post by Libertarian_Geek »

I want to eat a T-Rex. Now, let's make it happen folks!
https://www.facebook.com/DareDefendOurRights
Bone16
Elite Member

Post by Bone16 »

Libertarian_Geek wrote:I want to eat a T-Rex. Now, let's make it happen folks!

And then the credits from the "Flintstones" goes rolling through my head. Libertarian_Geek's car on it's side at Sonic with a platter of T-Rex ribs smashed through the drivers window! :lol:
America is not at war. The U.S. Military is at war. America is at the mall.

Bone 16, Asshat at large, OUT!
Libertarian_Geek
Silent But Deadly

Post by Libertarian_Geek »

Bone16 wrote:
Libertarian_Geek wrote:I want to eat a T-Rex. Now, let's make it happen folks!

And then the credits from the "Flintstones" goes rolling through my head. Libertarian_Geek's car on it's side at Sonic with a platter of T-Rex ribs smashed through the drivers window! :lol:

It's a MINI Cooper (for the added imagery).
https://www.facebook.com/DareDefendOurRights
-k-
Industry Professional

Post by -k- »

poikilotrm wrote:mammoths were hunted to extinction
Source? I've seen enough of the correlation of timing stories, but they have no real evidence and are just green/anti human propaganda.
Last edited by -k- on Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TROOPER
Silent But Deadly

Post by TROOPER »

-k- wrote:
poikilotrm wrote:
TROOPER wrote:mammoths were hunted to extinction
Source? I've seen enough of the correlation of timing stories, but they have no real evidence and are just green/anti human propaganda.
Your quote is slightly mistaken - it appears as though "TROOPER" said that, but I did not. It was either poikilotrm, the one-armed man, or a second quoteman on the grassy knoll.
mcinfantry
Silent But Deadly

Post by mcinfantry »

what if god wants us to bring them back? you know Jesus-Rex and all
poikilotrm
Silent But Deadly

Post by poikilotrm »

-k- wrote: Source? I've seen enough of the correlation of timing stories, but they have no real evidence and are just green/anti human propaganda.
There's a bunch of sources, just do a brief search. Almost all mammoth's recovered show signs of being butchered. While climate change helped them die off, we finished them off. If we hadn't, there probably would still be herds in the far north. Their preferred habitat still exists there.
-k-
Industry Professional

Post by -k- »

I thought it was something new, I familiar with the debate. I find the theory of prehistoric human caused extinctions short on facts. Human population and migration timing vs mammoth population is much more estimation than science in my opinion. Then you still need to guess how much pressure human hunting really put on them. Science says there was a massive shift from grassland to forest and bogs and that hundreds of large species went extinct in that same time period.
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

I would bring them back just because it would be interesting and also a challenge of science - much less costly and more interesting than going to Mars.
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

In the articles I've read dino's and other ancient species are still beyond the reach of the technology because there is not enough viable tissue.

They're talking mainly about the recently extinct, I'm not even sure the dodo is a candidate.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
poikilotrm
Silent But Deadly

Post by poikilotrm »

doubloon wrote:In the articles I've read dino's and other ancient species are still beyond the reach of the technology because there is not enough viable tissue.
Au contraire, mon frere:

Dinosaur Marrow

Mary Schweitzer, the North Carolina State University professor who documented soft tissues in Tyrannosaurus rex leg bones, has been exploring biomolecules in ancient fossils for several years. The presence of those in the 68-million-year-old bones was not the oldest of her finds, but actual tissues of this age are unprecedented. The discovery challenges our notions of how fossils form. Surely more examples will be found, perhaps in existing museum specimens.