Pennsylvania man kills himself inside Dick’s Sporting Goods

Links to popular or interesting stories in the news.

Please post links rather than copies of stories due to honoring copyright rules.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw, renegade, Hush

Hush
Silent But Deadly

Pennsylvania man kills himself inside Dick’s Sporting Goods

Post by Hush »

Pennsylvania man kills himself inside Dick’s Sporting Goods after asking store employee to see a shotgun

Mark McCarpy, 58, forced the clerk to undo the firearm's lock at gunpoint. He then barricaded himself inside a bathroom at the sports store in Fairless Hills and shot himself.

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Published: Sunday, March 17, 2013, 10:12 AM

Updated: Sunday, March 17, 2013, 5:27 PM

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nationa ... z2Nq7pIhUu
eric10mm
Silent But Deadly

Re: Pennsylvania man kills himself inside Dick’s Sporting Go

Post by eric10mm »

So he already had a gun but no ammo in it? So instead of simply getting ammo for that gun he would rather use the store's gun & ammo to off himself? WTF?
700PSS
Elite Member

Post by 700PSS »

Since a "man" did this, Dick's will now likely decide to ban men from entering their stores. :?
ronin111
Silent But Deadly

Post by ronin111 »

700PSS wrote:Since a "man" did this, Dick's will now likely decide to ban men from entering their stores. :?
If we would just make death illegal, this would be impossible. I vote for death control. If it would help save one child it would be worth it.
RWBlue
Silent But Deadly

Post by RWBlue »

I don't care what the manager says. I am not cleaning up the mess in the bathroom.
700PSS
Elite Member

Post by 700PSS »

RWBlue wrote:I don't care what the manager says. I am not cleaning up the mess in the bathroom.
I actually worked there as a part-time/side job at the gun counter back in 2000-2001 (when the location was "Galyan's", before Dick's bought them out). Closing the store each night was no fun, especially if your dept. had restroom detail for the month. I could tell you some stories.
ick
Silent But Deadly

Post by ick »

This story doesn't make sense. He had a gun and held the clerk at gunpoint... to get another gun to kill himself? Why not just steal/buy ammo use the firearm he used on the clerk?

I guess it is possible that was his intention and that he endered the store and found it completely empty of ammo? He then proceeded to assess that the only ammo in stock was shotgun ammo... and then proceeded to strategize a way to get his hands on a shotgun.
-----
Ick