Georgia school district to provide rifles to campus officers

Links to popular or interesting stories in the news.

Please post links rather than copies of stories due to honoring copyright rules.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw, renegade, Hush

Hush
Silent But Deadly

Post by Hush »

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/201 ... mpus-offi/
poikilotrm
Silent But Deadly

Re: Georgia school district to provide rifles to campus offi

Post by poikilotrm »

On the one hand, good idea. On the other hand, very bad idea.

The idea of armed personell in school is a good idea. The simple possibility of facing armed opposition halts scumbags from attacking.

The idea of cops in schools is a bad one. They don't belong there, and should be removed, ASAP.

The idea of cops armed with rifles in school is a horrible idea. Cops are usually not gun guys. They are not usually proficient with their issue weapons, none are cognizant of safe gun handling, and there is no repercussion should they kill a child by accident. The idea of giving them weapons that can easily penetrate walls is a terrible idea.

Why anyone would give people who are not considered responsible for their own actions weapons that are guaranteed to overpenetrate walls is a a mystery, and I can't see where there is any real need for a rifle in a CQB situation like a school building. Maybe someone can shed some light on why these weapons are a necessity to deal with the ultra remote possibility of a school shooter, and why a standard side arm or a shotgun would be insufficient.
The moments I was censored was the moment that I won. That's twice, now.Thanks jwbaker, et al, for my victories.
johndoe3
Silent But Deadly

Post by johndoe3 »

I agree that a rifle is not needed. Shooters have been stopped by civilians or police with pistols.

The only case I remember where a rifle helped was in the Texas Tower shooting at UT Austin, where Whitman was up high in a tower shooting people. There were shooters on the ground trying to take out Whitman. Wikipedia shows in that case, 3 police crept up the tower unknown by Whitman. One officer (Martinez) shot 6 times from 50 feet at Whitman with his 38 special revolver and missed all 6 shots. His partner (McCoy) then jumped out alongside him and shot twice with a 12 gauge shotgun using 00 buckshot and killed Whitman. (probably a Winchester pump shotgun)

I support having trained armed school employees with CCW pistols in schools.
You can fool all of the people some of the time, and some of the people all of the time...and those are pretty good odds.
Brett Maverick, gambler on TV (also used by Progressive leaders everywhere)
acg1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by acg1911 »

poikilotrm wrote:and why a standard side arm or a shotgun would be insufficient.
Really long hallways in schools may require the added range of a rifle. With the shotgun...slugs over penetrate, buckshot spreads at extended distance. Obviously the sidearm is limited against someone armed with a rifle.

Though if the officer does not have the rifle with them, it isn't going to help much.
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

Armchair decisions about what someone else "needs" for protection sounds a bit like gun control to me.

Shooters have been stopped by people without any firearm at all so why should anyone "need" a firearm? Especially a firearm of large caliber or high capacity?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
continuity
Elite Member

Post by continuity »

acg1911 wrote:Really long hallways in schools may require the added range of a rifle. With the shotgun...slugs over penetrate, buckshot spreads at extended distance. Obviously the sidearm is limited against someone armed with a rifle...
This.

The use of TAP ammunition limits penetration of the subject rifle round.
What amount of a man is composed of his own collection of experiences... and the conclusions that those experiences have allowed him to "know" for certain as "Truth"? :Ick
poikilotrm
Silent But Deadly

Post by poikilotrm »

Yeah, frangible ammo and a dot sight would go a long way towards reducing the threst presented to innocents.

"Armchair?" Ever been first through the door, doubloon? And I don't mean to get to the buffet line. :lol:

The real question is where will the weapon be kept? Will the SRO do a Polezi carry?
The moments I was censored was the moment that I won. That's twice, now.Thanks jwbaker, et al, for my victories.
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

I've never had that privilege but I like to think if I did it wouldn't turn me into an elitist who thinks he can decide what other people "need".

By "armchair" I mean people not presently in the particular situation being discussed. No different than people who used to or maybe even never have played football second guessing the players on the field.

But I know you're smarter than me so you probably already knew what I meant.
poikilotrm
Silent But Deadly

Post by poikilotrm »

Smarter than you ain't setting the bar too high.

Instead of need, let's say appropriate. Does that make you feel better? A LAW would be inappropriate in a school, as would a grenade or a MASER. An AR isn't needed given that most shots, even down a long hall, will be inside of shotgun or pistol range. A pistol caliber carbine might be an appropriate choice to reduce the possibilty of overpenetration and to offset the generally poor weapon handling skills of LEOs.
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

And yet we're back to that word "need" before the thought is even coagulated.

I'm not in favor of substituting words not meant simply for the sake of political correctness. It's not unlike lying to get ones way.

It seems clear you mean need since you keep falling back on that word so just stick to what you mean. You mean guns should be regulated for other people but not you.

And not even a single mention in your latest post of what you claimed is the "real question". Not even a nibble about where the rifle would be kept. Obviously nothing to do with your real agenda which is controlling other peoples gun rights ... just a red herring in an attempt to distract from the underlying agenda.
poikilotrm
Silent But Deadly

Post by poikilotrm »

doubloon wrote:And yet we're back to that word "need" before the thought is even coagulated.

I'm not in favor of substituting words not meant simply for the sake of political correctness. It's not unlike lying to get ones way.

It seems clear you mean need since you keep falling back on that word so just stick to what you mean. You mean guns should be regulated for other people but not you.

And not even a single mention in your latest post of what you claimed is the "real question". Not even a nibble about where the rifle would be kept. Obviously nothing to do with your real agenda which is controlling other peoples gun rights ... just a red herring in an attempt to distract from the underlying agenda.
Mental illness is a sad, sad thing. The hall mark of it is disordered thought. Your thoughts are as badly disordered as they are emotional.

The terms "people" and "on duty SROs" are seperate and distinct within the context of the discussion. This is not a discussion of civil rights. This is a discussion of what is appropriate, the minimum that is NEEDED, for the job. We don't give street cops Ferraris, because they aren't needed for the job, nor would they be appropriate. That in no ways disparages regular people from buying, owning, or operating those cars.

I know and I see that these things are hard for you, and you keep reaching as hard as you can for any straw, or strawman, that you can, but ultimately you are simply demonstrating your lack of intellectual ability and lack of understanding of propriety with regards to the safety of innocents.

Simply put, if a cop is going to be issued a carbine for CQB in a school day setting, it should have a dot sight and be chambered in a pistol caliber, and have frangible rounds. A silencer would probably be a good idea too, say a can on the end of a 9mm 7in SBR.