Which is More Deadly, Shotgun or AR?

Links to popular or interesting stories in the news.

Please post links rather than copies of stories due to honoring copyright rules.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw, renegade, Hush

Hush
Silent But Deadly

Post by Hush »

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/0 ... hotgun-ar/

Depends on the range.
TROOPER
Silent But Deadly

Re: Which is More Deadly, Shotgun or AR?

Post by TROOPER »

For non-military, non-LEO ... Shotgun.

And while we're dishing... I'd like to see SWAT snipers go over to a 243 Win.
poikilotrm
Silent But Deadly

Post by poikilotrm »

TROOPER wrote: And while we're dishing... I'd like to see SWAT snipers go over to a 243 Win.
Why? That round is for long range use. They would be just fine with a 5.56x45 or some other low or intermediate power round. Hell, a 220gr .300BLK would be perfect. Heavy enough to punch through glass, easily suppressed, same platform as a standard AR except for barrel, best performance from a 9 to 10 inch barrel, low recoil.
The moments I was censored was the moment that I won. That's twice, now.Thanks jwbaker, et al, for my victories.
ROFuher
Silent But Deadly

Post by ROFuher »

[quote="TROOPER"

And while we're dishing... I'd like to see SWAT snipers go over to a 243 Win.[/quote]

Believer until seeing a 6.5-284 Norma. Flat ass cartridge for medium targets at long ranges.
continuity-TROOPER, 2016
continuity
Elite Member

Post by continuity »

Hush is accurate that including range, makes the question have meaning.

Inside 100 yds., especially inside 50 yds., a 12 gauge shotgun is hands down the winner of the two choices. As a matter of fact, my preference for force projection at those ranges, when collateral damage is a low risk, will be a 12 gauge. Over the 100yd mark it's not that a shotgun isn't effective, but aiming starts to take on characteristics of operating a mortar.

Over the 100 yd. range, an AR is a better option, given appropriate ammo.

2 cents worth.
What amount of a man is composed of his own collection of experiences... and the conclusions that those experiences have allowed him to "know" for certain as "Truth"? :Ick
bakerjw
Elite Member

Post by bakerjw »

I'll go with a shotgun up to 50 to 100 yards. 100+. I'll go with one of my ARs.
July 5th, 2016. The day that we moved from a soft tyranny to a hard tyranny.
TROOPER
Silent But Deadly

Post by TROOPER »

poikilotrm wrote:
TROOPER wrote: And while we're dishing... I'd like to see SWAT snipers go over to a 243 Win.
Why? That round is for long range use. They would be just fine with a 5.56x45 or some other low or intermediate power round. Hell, a 220gr .300BLK would be perfect. Heavy enough to punch through glass, easily suppressed, same platform as a standard AR except for barrel, best performance from a 9 to 10 inch barrel, low recoil.
Totally fine with this. I do disagree with the 243 as only good for long range. When hunting white tail and using light-for-caliber bullet weights, you gotta' keep the shots on the neck of the animal because of the staggering amount of meat that gets destroyed. Seriously, it looks like a hand-grenade went off in there.
ROFuher wrote:Believer until seeing a 6.5-284 Norma. Flat ass cartridge for medium targets at long ranges.
Totally fine with this too.

I mentioned 243 due to availability, but the class of cartridge I was pushing had to do with slightly less recoil, slightly more velocity, and improved energy transfer. All of these cartridges are inferior to 308 for big game hunting... but all are significantly better for urban-sniping on a human target.

... I'd be good with SWAT snipers using 223... I'd be good with them using a 22-250.
TROOPER wrote:For non-military, non-LEO ... Shotgun.
I'm having a heck of a time coming up with an actual scenario where I shoot at someone 100+ yards away that doesn't include me being in the military. Essentially the same for LEO.
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

So I guess the possibility of resolving this based on which has killed more people is not an option.
TROOPER wrote:...
I'm having a heck of a time coming up with an actual scenario where I shoot at someone 100+ yards away that doesn't include me being in the military. Essentially the same for LEO.
Somali pirate hunting cruise?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
eric10mm
Silent But Deadly

Post by eric10mm »

My HD Mossberg 500 shoots the Federal LE13200 FliteControl 00buck load into one ragged hole at 10yds and a 4" spread at 15yds from a Cylinder Bore 18.5" barrel. I ABSOLUTELY have to aim it or I will miss the target.

With reduced-recoil slugs I can easily hit torso-size targets out to ~125yds with just a bead sight.