Terminally ill Oregon woman plans death for Nov. 1

Links to popular or interesting stories in the news.

Please post links rather than copies of stories due to honoring copyright rules.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw, renegade, Hush

Hush
Silent But Deadly

Post by Hush »

1 Comment(s)
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/201 ... for-nov-1/
A 29-year-old woman who was diagnosed with a severe brain tumor earlier this year has decided Nov. 1 will be the day of her death.
Mrs. Maynard and her family moved to Oregon earlier this year so she would have access to the state’s “Death with Dignity Act,” which has allowed over 750 people to die using medication since 1997, the Fox affiliate reported.
I recently found out one of my nephews has a brain tumor which paralyzed him, I'm sure he'd rather be dead....He was very active....a fireman....always kept himself in shape....its a sad thing.
Now I find myself terminally ill with lung cancer, When I start to choke to death on my own blood I plan to put a .22 in my brain stem.
Where my nephew lives suicide is illegal, no Dr. will help him die. Same case with me, no Dr. will help me die either here in Fla.
Laws need to be changed to allow the dying a quick painless exit rather then let them linger trying different methods of suicide, overdoses do not always work and victims of suicides lose their insurance coverage, relatives have to pay for their burial out of their pocket, not all can afford to do so.
This "Death with Dignity Act" should be passed in all states, I think I will make a pest of myself here in Fla. and try and get the politicians to pass it here.
Those of you reading this might consider taking up the "cause" in your home state, not to be morbid but someday you might need the benefit of the " Death with Dignity Act".
lafsnguy
Silent But Deadly

Re: Terminally ill Oregon woman plans death for Nov. 1

Post by lafsnguy »

Terribly sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I watched a close relative die from lung cancer and wish he would have had the option if he wanted to end it. There is a documentary called how to die in Oregon that follows a lady that is terminally ill that goes through the entire process and ultimately ends up killing herself. It's a shame that people can't end it on their own terms. I find it amazing that we put pets down and call it compassionate but to even speak of ending the suffering of our loved ones is somehow taboo.
Hush
Silent But Deadly

Post by Hush »

I find it amazing that we put pets down and call it compassionate but to even speak of ending the suffering of our loved ones is somehow taboo.
That is so true. People don't like to think or talk about dying but its something we all have to face, whether for ourselves or our loved ones.
We should all have the option on how we face it but we are not given it due to archaic laws and beliefs.

No one wants to see a loved one suffer and I'm sure the one doing the suffering would rather not if given a choice which they are not although some doctors will assist in a "speedy" departure if asked quietly in a corner of the room behind the curtain.
I wonder how many people in the past have been helped along with pillow over their face?

Well I find it an interesting subject.
urban assault
Silent But Deadly

Post by urban assault »

My former doctor was the first MD in Oregon to help one of his patients die.

He told me that he thought about it long and hard, and decided that it was more the patient's decision than his. Years later he is still conflicted about his part in in the process. I always found him to be a great doctor, very sympathetic, attentive, and caring.

I'm glad he had the strength to help that poor lady who took the first step here in Oregon.

I fully support any adult's decision to end their life on their own terms, I consider it a fundamental basic human right.

-urban
Hush
Silent But Deadly

Post by Hush »

He told me that he thought about it long and hard, and decided that it was more the patient's decision than his. Years later he is still conflicted about his part in in the process. I always found him to be a great doctor, very sympathetic, attentive, and caring.
From this quote you can see he is a man with a conscience and this was a very hard decision for him to make.
I feel he made the right choice. You are right, he not only is a great doctor but a great human being.

Hush
urban assault
Silent But Deadly

Post by urban assault »

Hush wrote:
From this quote you can see he is a man with a conscience and this was a very hard decision for him to make.
I feel he made the right choice. You are right, he not only is a great doctor but a great human being.

Hush
I had chosen him as my doctor before finding out about his participation in his patient's suicide. It just made me happier that he was my doctor. I would still be with him but for the fact that we moved 60 miles away from his practice.

Sorry to hear of your diagnosis Hush, I'll be pulling for you to the end.

-urban
Hush
Silent But Deadly

Post by Hush »

Thank you. Its appreciated. :)
dark2023
Silent Operator

Post by dark2023 »

I agree, I do not see what it so wrong with assisted suicide if a person is terminally ill.
A gun is meant to protect your life, not your wallet. Things can be replaced, people cant.