Bloomberg wins…1; gun control group hails Wash. background c

Links to popular or interesting stories in the news.

Please post links rather than copies of stories due to honoring copyright rules.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw, renegade, Hush

Hush
Silent But Deadly

Bloomberg wins…1; gun control group hails Wash. background c

Post by Hush »

Bloomberg wins…1; gun control group hails Wash. background check initiative
33 Comment(s)
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/201 ... kground-c/
Gun control advocates won a significant victory this week when voters approved expanded background checks on most private firearms purchases in Washington state.

Voters also rejected a competing referendum that would have limited background checks and other gun controls measures to what federal law requires. That ballot initiative would have conflicted with the other provision had both passed.

The votes, which became final Wednesday, suggest that putting these kinds of issues directly to voters, circumventing state legislatures that are often reluctant to tangle with well-financed gun rights groups, could be a successful post-Newtown strategy for gun opponents.
It cost Bloomy over $4 million to get that passed. That smug SOB.
johndoe3
Silent But Deadly

Re: Bloomberg wins…1; gun control group hails Wash. backgrou

Post by johndoe3 »

It's sad to see a bunch of billionaires use their money to pass the I-594 monstrosity in Washington state--an 8-1 money advantage for passage. Money spent on propaganda ads appears to win over the low information voters.
You can fool all of the people some of the time, and some of the people all of the time...and those are pretty good odds.
Brett Maverick, gambler on TV (also used by Progressive leaders everywhere)
continuity
Elite Member

Post by continuity »

Add to the insanity, the practical nature of regulating such exchanges. Thinking the only prosecutions will be from "sting" operations.
What amount of a man is composed of his own collection of experiences... and the conclusions that those experiences have allowed him to "know" for certain as "Truth"? :Ick
johndoe3
Silent But Deadly

Post by johndoe3 »

As an outsider, I have to notice that WA law enforcement stepped up to the plate to try and defeat I-594. The vast majority of Sheriffs and the organization of rank and file police officers in the State both expended political capital to try and defeat I-594, strongly coming out against it and making themselves available for press stories. Only a couple of retired left-wing police officers in Seattle were trying to pass I-594 along with a couple of Sheriffs in the State. Kudos for the law enforcement efforts (even though I-594 passed).
You can fool all of the people some of the time, and some of the people all of the time...and those are pretty good odds.
Brett Maverick, gambler on TV (also used by Progressive leaders everywhere)