ATF Letter Is Not the End of the SIG Brace

Links to popular or interesting stories in the news.

Please post links rather than copies of stories due to honoring copyright rules.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw, renegade, Hush

Hush
Silent But Deadly

Post by Hush »

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/1 ... sig-brace/
66427vette
Silent But Deadly

Re: ATF Letter Is Not the End of the SIG Brace

Post by 66427vette »

Idiots should stop writing letters.
continuity
Elite Member

Post by continuity »

My practical assessment of the device not withstanding, it will never cease to amaze me when people ask question(s) they don't want an answer to. It seems endemic with even the supposedly most practically minded.

The setting:
At work we wear a personal microphone with a mechanical on/off switch, which is linked to a secure audio/video recording system in our cruisers that is public record, and regularly subpoenaed as evidence. The initial written policy, acknowledged by our individual signature under a transgression threat of sanction, is clear that those mic's be active at "all time when on duty". The actual recording system requires one of several triggers, at least two easily made inadvertently, and on a regular basis, by "CDU gremlin" activation. Problems almost immediately arose with non duty related "personal" conversation, bathroom evolutions, and....amazingly enough, a 6 hr battery life... for a 10 hr shift. It also became apparent that some private (away from the subject contact) scene consultation conversations were not appropriate nor material evidence, to the scene. Various system bandaids were developed that made the system less user friendly, and resulted in a high stress initial contact situation (the highest level situational need for an audio recording) becoming a 3rd/4th concern. The unofficial term "administrative muting" blossomed, (personal mic normaly switched off, switched on when a potential contact/contact evolution became apparent, (and a between officers, private consultation, was appropriate to the scene dynamics) became the practical, unspoken, with tacturn Captain level acceptance, interpretation of "the policy". It has become the established way of operating.

The thread connection:
Yesterday in briefing... a senior deputy "demanded" clarification of the associated policy. (Granted, he's always been "that guy") Couldn't help myself, I let my head hit the table while muttering "don't ask questions you don't want an answer to". To the duty Sgt's credit he quietly suggested that a written request for clarification, including a weeks hand written log of the subject deputies personal mic "on time", would receive all due consideration... if appropriate usage of the mic system needed clarification. (Absolutely love my duty Sgt.)

All that to say... never... ever... ask questions you don't really want a potentialy negative answer to if it's not needed.. ESPECIALLY from a regulatory GOVERNMENT AGENCY!!!

F it. Sometimes I wonder how some people ever learned to tie their own shoes.
What amount of a man is composed of his own collection of experiences... and the conclusions that those experiences have allowed him to "know" for certain as "Truth"? :Ick
700PSS
Elite Member

Post by 700PSS »

continuity wrote:Problems almost immediately arose with non duty related "personal" conversation, bathroom evolutions, and....amazingly enough, a 6 hr battery life... for a 10 hr shift.
There, Poiki, is the answer to my question.