Park Rangers have to rescue Army Special Forces in Rocky MT National Park

Links to popular or interesting stories in the news.

Please post links rather than copies of stories due to honoring copyright rules.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw, renegade, Hush

johndoe3
Silent But Deadly

Park Rangers have to rescue Army Special Forces in Rocky MT National Park

Post by johndoe3 »

http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/03/us/rocky- ... el-rescue/

A group of 10 soldiers from the 10th Special Forces out of Fort Carson Colorado south of Colorado Springs, had a training exercise to climb Longs Peak in Rocky Mountain National Park (14,259 feet high). It's one of many 14k mountains in Colorado that people routinely climb, and one climbed by lots of civilian people every year.

Evidently, the Special Forces Group aren't used to higher altitudes or climbing, since they had to be rescued by RMNP Rangers. According to the story, 3 of the soldiers experienced altitude sickness which comes from incorrect shallow breathing and lack of acclimation to higher altitudes.

(It's in the county where I live and Long's Peak is visible from my house).

Edited to change title from Army Rangers to Army Special forces (Green Berets)
Last edited by johndoe3 on Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You can fool all of the people some of the time, and some of the people all of the time...and those are pretty good odds.
Brett Maverick, gambler on TV (also used by Progressive leaders everywhere)
poikilotrm
Silent But Deadly

Re: Park Rangers have to rescue Army Rangers in Rocky MT National Park

Post by poikilotrm »

As a former denizen of 1/75th Inf, I scoff, SCOFF! at your title! I demand you change it to better reflect the truth of the article. :lol:
The moments I was censored was the moment that I won. That's twice, now.Thanks jwbaker, et al, for my victories.
johndoe3
Silent But Deadly

Re: Park Rangers have to rescue Army Special Forces in Rocky MT National Park

Post by johndoe3 »

As a former denizen of 1/75th Inf, I scoff, SCOFF! at your title! I demand you change it to better reflect the truth of the article.

Park Rangers have to rescue Army Rangers in Rocky MT National Park
My deepest apologies for the mistake--my military experience was not in the Army, and I assumed the 10th Special Forces were Army Rangers. A little exploration online shows that the 10th Special Forces are a Green Beret unit.

I have changed the title, and am duly chastised for my mistake. :wink:
You can fool all of the people some of the time, and some of the people all of the time...and those are pretty good odds.
Brett Maverick, gambler on TV (also used by Progressive leaders everywhere)
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

Post by whiterussian1974 »

johndoe3 wrote:I have changed the title, and am duly chastised for my mistake. :wink:
Even cooks can apply for the Ranger Tab. It's a leadership and endurance-type of training. SF has requirements for Primary and Secondary Mission Specialties and Linguist training.

SF are often used as Foreign Troop trainers. Ranger units are the sharp tip of the sword. Ranger soldiers can be anyone who completes the training course.
---
I'm glad that these guys learned from the Stateside Training. Maybe too many deployments in lowlands and deserts of Iraq/Syria got them out of practice and the unit Noobs didn't have the experience.

As a teen, I dreamt of assignment to 5th SFGroup in Bad Tolz, Germany. I studied Spanish, German, Russian to prepare.

Alas, I had an awakening and joined USAF as a Cryptolinguist and later transferred to Flight status. Far better standard of living and no sleeping amongst the 'bugs' and creeping things. Instead a bed warmed by Hildas, Ludmilas and Oksanas. ;)
The Darkest Corners of Hell are reserved for those who remain Neutral!-Dante
The Death of One is a Tragedy, a million only a statistic.-Stalin
silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=135314
withoutremorse42
Silent But Deadly

Post by withoutremorse42 »

whiterussian1974 wrote:
johndoe3 wrote:I have changed the title, and am duly chastised for my mistake. :wink:
Even cooks can apply for the Ranger Tab. It's a leadership and endurance-type of training. SF has requirements for Primary and Secondary Mission Specialties and Linguist training.

SF are often used as Foreign Troop trainers. Ranger units are the sharp tip of the sword. Ranger soldiers can be anyone who completes the training course.
---
I'm glad that these guys learned from the Stateside Training. Maybe too many deployments in lowlands and deserts of Iraq/Syria got them out of practice and the unit Noobs didn't have the experience.

As a teen, I dreamt of assignment to 5th SFGroup in Bad Tolz, Germany. I studied Spanish, German, Russian to prepare.

Alas, I had an awakening and joined USAF as a Cryptolinguist and later transferred to Flight status. Far better standard of living and no sleeping amongst the 'bugs' and creeping things. Instead a bed warmed by Hildas, Ludmilas and Oksanas. ;)
Don't mistake ranger school graduates with Rangers from the 75th. Ranger school grads go back to their units with an award. Members of the 75th are graduates of the RASP selection course and live the life every day. The 75th is the special operations unit, the 4th, 5th and 6th ranger training brigades are the school.
[url=http://militarysignatures.com][img]http://militarysignatures.com/signatures/member11084.png[/img][/url]
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

Post by whiterussian1974 »

withoutremorse42 wrote:
whiterussian1974 wrote:

Don't mistake ranger school graduates with Rangers from the 75th. Ranger school grads go back to their units with an award. Members of the 75th are graduates of the RASP selection course and live the life every day. The 75th is the special operations unit, the 4th, 5th and 6th ranger training brigades are the school.
That's what I was trying to clarify. Ranger soldiers who aren't in Ranger Units aren't the "sharp tip," they are just course grads.
The Darkest Corners of Hell are reserved for those who remain Neutral!-Dante
The Death of One is a Tragedy, a million only a statistic.-Stalin
silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=135314
poikilotrm
Silent But Deadly

Post by poikilotrm »

whiterussian1974 wrote: As a teen, I dreamt of assignment to 5th SFGroup in Bad Tolz, Germany. I studied Spanish, German, Russian to prepare.

FAG! :lol:
The moments I was censored was the moment that I won. That's twice, now.Thanks jwbaker, et al, for my victories.
poikilotrm
Silent But Deadly

Post by poikilotrm »

withoutremorse42 wrote:
The tab is just a school, the scroll is a way of life.