Sen Rubio files Bill to make DC Shall Issue and more

Links to popular or interesting stories in the news.

Please post links rather than copies of stories due to honoring copyright rules.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw, renegade, Hush

johndoe3
Silent But Deadly

Sen Rubio files Bill to make DC Shall Issue and more

Post by johndoe3 »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/dc ... f0a8b56a83

Senator Marco Rubio introduced a Bill to change/overturn D.C.'s gun laws this week. Among the changes is making D.C. issue concealed carry permits on a Shall Issue basis.

Way to go Sen Rubio; now if your colleagues have the spine to pass the Bill, they can drain the swamp of D.C. gun (control) laws.
You can fool all of the people some of the time, and some of the people all of the time...and those are pretty good odds.
Brett Maverick, gambler on TV (also used by Progressive leaders everywhere)
poikilotrm
Silent But Deadly

Re: Sen Rubio files Bill to make DC Shall Issue and more

Post by poikilotrm »

Put some teeth in it. Anyone acting under color of law who attempts to subvert or delay issuance to a qualified citizen shall be guilty of a felony, with a sentence of 2-5 years for each offense, and a minimum fine of $50,000.00. In fact, make it a part of the law that all of the violator's assets may be immediately seized by the victim upon conviction.
The moments I was censored was the moment that I won. That's twice, now.Thanks jwbaker, et al, for my victories.
TROOPER
Silent But Deadly

Post by TROOPER »

I don't like this. Just because it's the right thing to do doesn't make it the right way to do it. This is a Constitutional issue, and the SC needs to strike it down. We don't necessarily want the federal government dictating what states must do, as opposed to telling states what they may not do as a result of Constitutional protections.

It's a very confusing time not knowing whether to encourage or discourage this.
poikilotrm
Silent But Deadly

Post by poikilotrm »

TROOPER wrote:I don't like this. Just because it's the right thing to do doesn't make it the right way to do it. This is a Constitutional issue, and the SC needs to strike it down. We don't necessarily want the federal government dictating what states must do, as opposed to telling states what they may not do as a result of Constitutional protections.

It's a very confusing time not knowing whether to encourage or discourage this.
No. This is in DC, and nowhere else. DC is vassal to the Feds.
The moments I was censored was the moment that I won. That's twice, now.Thanks jwbaker, et al, for my victories.
John A.
Silent But Deadly

Post by John A. »

DC is not a state and is a Federal district.

So, states rights issues are not relevant.
I don't care what your chart says
johndoe3
Silent But Deadly

Post by johndoe3 »

Constitution: Article 1(Legislative): Section 8 (Powers):
17: To exercise exclusive Legislation in all Cases whatsoever, over such District (not exceeding ten Miles square) as may, by Cession of particular States, and the Acceptance of Congress, become the Seat of the Government of the United States, and to exercise like Authority over all Places purchased by the Consent of the Legislature of the State in which the Same shall be, for the Erection of Forts, Magazines, Arsenals, dock-Yards, and other needful Buildings;—And

18: To make all Laws which shall be necessary and proper for carrying into Execution the foregoing Powers, and all other Powers vested by this Constitution in the Government of the United States, or in any Department or Officer thereof.
It was only in 1973, that Congress first allowed DC to begin to elect a Mayor and Council to exercise limited home rule. However, any statute enacted by the D.C. government still has to be submitted to the House Oversight Committee for approval. Congress has let the DC government run amuck even though Congress cannot give away their authority to rule DC (except by amending the Constitution).
You can fool all of the people some of the time, and some of the people all of the time...and those are pretty good odds.
Brett Maverick, gambler on TV (also used by Progressive leaders everywhere)
TROOPER
Silent But Deadly

Post by TROOPER »

poikilotrm wrote:No. This is in DC, and nowhere else. DC is vassal to the Feds.
Thank you for pointing this out. I am wrong, you are right.
John A. wrote:DC is not a state and is a Federal district.

So, states rights issues are not relevant.
Same. Thank you for pointing this out.
poikilotrm
Silent But Deadly

Post by poikilotrm »

Your point was otherwise valid with regards to the states.