Self Defense against dogs, case of unreasonable dog owner

Links to popular or interesting stories in the news.

Please post links rather than copies of stories due to honoring copyright rules.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw, renegade, Hush

johndoe3
Silent But Deadly

Self Defense against dogs, case of unreasonable dog owner

Post by johndoe3 »

http://www.news4jax.com/news/pets/lawn- ... tacked-him
“(The dog's owner) said I should have just fought the dog off,” Hardy said. “Now, that's stupid. I'm not going to try to fight off a pit bull when he's trying to attack me.”
Situation: On Tuesday in Jacksonville, FL a lawn maintenance worker was mowing the backyard of a client. A month before, the owner of the house warned the lawn service about the dogs next door, telling them to be wary.

While mowing the backyard, a pit bull from next door climbed over the fence and attacked the lawn worker, who pulled out a handgun and shot the dog once. The dog climbed back over the fence into his own yard and died. The pit bull's owner was angry and called the police. The police determined that it was a case of self-defense and dropped the case.

Is it only me, or is the dog owner being entirely unreasonable, as well as having been irresponsible?

Does the pit bull owner make a reasonable point that humans when attacked by dogs should fight them off without use of any tools (including guns)?
You can fool all of the people some of the time, and some of the people all of the time...and those are pretty good odds.
Brett Maverick, gambler on TV (also used by Progressive leaders everywhere)
fishman
Silent But Deadly

Re: Self Defense against dogs, case of unreasonable dog owner

Post by fishman »

johndoe3 wrote:Does the pit bull owner make a reasonable point that humans when attacked by dogs should fight them off without use of any tools (including guns)?
what an absurd question. obviously it'd be different if the incident was on the dog owners property and their was a written or verbal warning about the dog beforehand. a random loose dog, especially one bred to harm people, doesnt get the benefit of the doubt. whats next, are we supposed to disarm home invaders in hand to hand combat instead of shooting back?
300 blackout form 1: http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=137293

5.56 form 1:
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=141800&p=955647#p955647
poikilotrm
Silent But Deadly

Post by poikilotrm »

fishman wrote: whats next, are we supposed to disarm home invaders in hand to hand combat instead of shooting back?
First off, don't disparage my super ninja skills. I find that hurtful and upsetting.

Secondly, the dog climbed a fence to attack the man. Good shoot. That dog was looking for a fight and got it.

Thirdly, has the dog owner been cited for failing to restrain a dangerous animal, or don't they have a statute for that in FL?
The moments I was censored was the moment that I won. That's twice, now.Thanks jwbaker, et al, for my victories.
TROOPER
Silent But Deadly

Post by TROOPER »

poikilotrm wrote:
fishman wrote: whats next, are we supposed to disarm home invaders in hand to hand combat instead of shooting back?
First off, don't disparage my super ninja skills. I find that hurtful and upsetting.

Secondly, the dog climbed a fence to attack the man. Good shoot. That dog was looking for a fight and got it.

Thirdly, has the dog owner been cited for failing to restrain a dangerous animal, or don't they have a statute for that in FL?
The most baffling part of the story is that the police were called by the DOG'S OWNER, not the guy that got attacked.

As best I can figure -- short of taking 43 seconds to Google it -- there isn't a statute for restraining a dangerous animal in Florida. Otherwise, how does this story make sense?
a_canadian
Silent But Deadly

Post by a_canadian »

When I was about 12 we were looking after a friend's big dog (part wolf, part something-or-other that was all shaggy and white, weighed 120 pounds) for about a year. Thing was the most peace-loving adorable big fur ball ever, though he did once jump out of our pickup truck to chase a deer, got himself scraped up a bit from landing in the gravel at about 50mph. Didn't get the deer.

Anyway, we had dogs on either side of us. Dachshunds on one side, big collie on the other. The collie once came into our yard snarling and obviously looking for a fight. Our big 7 year old dog took him by the throat and bit down, puncturing his neck in a few places. Collie went bounding back over the fence crying about it. His owners were pissed at us for months until they moved away.

Another time my brother had put his pet guinea pig out in the yard for a bit with his cage door open, thinking he'd enjoy poking his head out now and then for a bit of the 'greener grass' outside the door. My brother came in for a popsicle, went back out and found one of the dachshunds violently thrashing his head side to side, killing the guinea pig. The cage was damaged. He'd obviously shoved his head in the door and grabbed the poor thing so he could kill it. Dog shuffled back to his yard and my brother buried his pet. The owners of that dog laughed at us for worrying so much about our 'rat' and stated proudly that his dogs were bred for rat hunting. Nothing much happened for a few days, except that now we had a serious hate-on for that little crappy dog.

The third day after the guinea pig's death that same dog came back in our yard (the fence was okay-ish, but a couple of loose boards near one end we found later, and those things can squeeze through tiny openings) while our big dog was dozing in the sun. We were in the house, unaware of any of this going on. But the little dog barked a bunch. We did hear that and ignored it as the things were always barking. Big dog grabbed and shook until the side of the animal was torn badly, then spat it out. Little dog lay there. Big dog went back to napping, at least that's how it looked when we got outside.

The neighbours, French-Canadian and VERY proud of that, as they were of their 'Catholicism,' were FURIOUS with us. Called the cops. Cops showed up hands-on-guns, demanding to see the dog in question. This was an hour or so later. Big dog was sleeping on the livingroom floor. Two cops came in, very cautious, then they saw big dog. He didn't even crack open an eye, just tired I guess. I called the dog and he looked up, then lay his head down again with an eye on the cops. Cop #1 said "Oh. I see. Sorry to bother you folks." End of story.

And that's about how it should be generally. Some ass comes into your yard and messes with your stuff, you get to do him harm. Human or otherwise doesn't make a damned bit of difference. Period. Of course you use good judgement as to the extent and appropriateness of the violence, being a sensible human and all. Seems to me lawnmower man was lucky he had a gun on him.
John A.
Silent But Deadly

Post by John A. »

Dog was in someone elses' yard trying to attack someone.

Dog got shot.

Dogs owner pissed.

Dogs owner needs to get a clue. If it had attacked the man, the man could've sued him for all he was worth. Which I'm guessing, probably isn't going to be much considering how stupid he seems to be judging by his actions.

Just my opinion of course.
I don't care what your chart says
poikilotrm
Silent But Deadly

Post by poikilotrm »

TROOPER wrote:
The most baffling part of the story is that the police were called by the DOG'S OWNER, not the guy that got attacked.

As best I can figure -- short of taking 43 seconds to Google it -- there isn't a statute for restraining a dangerous animal in Florida. Otherwise, how does this story make sense?
Because special snowflakes and drunks call the cops when they are in the wrong.
The moments I was censored was the moment that I won. That's twice, now.Thanks jwbaker, et al, for my victories.
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

TROOPER wrote:...
This would have been the most prudent course of action.

Apart from that I just feel bad for the dog that it had to belong to such a moron.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
TROOPER
Silent But Deadly

Post by TROOPER »

doubloon wrote:
This would have been the most prudent course of action.

Apart from that I just feel bad for the dog that it had to belong to such a moron.
Prudent, yes, because a crime had been committed. However, the impression I got is that the dog's owner called the police because he felt he had been wronged by the defensive shooting.
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

Prudent, yes, because a crime had been committed. However, the impression I got is that the dog's owner called the police because he felt he had been wronged by the defensive shooting.
Sorry, I meant prudent for the victim of the dog attack to call after discharging his firearm in self defense.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
bakerjw
Elite Member

Post by bakerjw »

As an avid cyclist, I see this dog owner behavior regularly. You spray or kick someone's dog that is in the road trying to bite you and the owners get all pissy about it.

But, sometimes it works out well... My friend Dave had an encounter recently. Dog was unharmed but in slo mo it is darn funny seeing it try to figure out where home is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUKZdT6di8w
July 5th, 2016. The day that we moved from a soft tyranny to a hard tyranny.
hardcase
Silent But Deadly

Post by hardcase »

From first hand experience, size doesn't matter :shock: :shock:

Anyway, I have had more trouble out of supposedly non-threatening small ankle bitters that attack from behind than bigger dogs. When I had to go into someone's house that used a big dog for defense, usually gun haters, I carried a hammer with me. I told the home owner to put the dog in another room as I would hate to KILL their dog. Worked every time.