Smart Gun hacked--another Utopian setback

Links to popular or interesting stories in the news.

Please post links rather than copies of stories due to honoring copyright rules.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw, renegade, Hush

johndoe3
Silent But Deadly

Smart Gun hacked--another Utopian setback

Post by johndoe3 »

http://www.guns.com/2017/07/25/apparent ... net-video/
A security researcher who goes by the name “Plore” found multiple ways to defeat the vaunted the Armatix GmbH Smart System and its $1,400 gun.

As chronicled by Wired in the above video, the hacker demonstrates a multitude of ways to beat the controversial personalized handgun which is designed to pair to an RFID-equipped wrist watch to be able to fire.

“Not only was it unsecured, it was unsecured in a way that I had not anticipated,” said Plore.

He was able to jam the radio frequency band (916.5Mhz) and prevent the gun from firing when it should, extend the authentication radius of its RFID puddle, and even defeat the electromagnetic locking system altogether with a simple $15 magnet placed near the breechblock.
Good find, a simple magnet can unlock the locking system; and radio frequency jamming on a specific frequency can prevent the gun from firing. I'm sure these finds will convince law enforcement agencies even more that they shouldn't be guinea pigs for the SmartGun.
You can fool all of the people some of the time, and some of the people all of the time...and those are pretty good odds.
Brett Maverick, gambler on TV (also used by Progressive leaders everywhere)
ick
Silent But Deadly

Re: Smart Gun hacked--another Utopian setback

Post by ick »

Blame the Russians. They hacked our elections. I bet they hacked this gun too.
-----
Ick
John A.
Silent But Deadly

Re: Smart Gun hacked--another Utopian setback

Post by John A. »

I never saw that coming. :roll:
I don't care what your chart says