Cop sues mother of 6 year old boy he killed.

Links to popular or interesting stories in the news.

Please post links rather than copies of stories due to honoring copyright rules.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw, renegade, Hush

poikilotrm
Silent But Deadly

Cop sues mother of 6 year old boy he killed.

Post by poikilotrm »

One is forced to wonder what this shitstain's brother officers think of him. I am betting they mostly admire his boldness.

APD officer sues woman whose son died in crash
By: Jackie Kent
Updated: Mar 07, 2018 07:00 PM MST
http://www.krqe.com/news/albuquerque-me ... 1018576377

ALBUQUERQUE, NM (KRQE) - - A police officer officer being sued for speeding through an intersection and killing a young boy is now suing the boy's mother, saying the crash was all her fault.

In the lawsuit, Albuquerque Police Officer Jonathan McDonnell claims the crash has caused him emotional distress and mental anguish.

The Bernalillo County Sheriff's investigation of the incident determined APD Officer Jonathan McDonnell was going double the speed limit while responding to a call in May 2017.

However, he says the mother was the one driving carelessly when she turned in front of him.

Antoinette Suina and her two kids were inside. Joel Anthony Mumaw, 6, died at the hospital the next day.

Now officer McDonnell is suing the grieving mother for the crash.

The lawsuit filed March 2 states Suina drove carelessly and negligently, and failed to yield to his emergency vehicle.

As a result, McDonnell -- who broke a leg in the crash -- claims he suffered physical and emotional distress and that the ordeal strained his relationship with his wife and three kids.

It's a response to Suina's January lawsuit against McDonnell and the city that claimed officer McDonnell was driving recklessly to that call.

The sheriff's department investigated the crash and reported he was driving about 80 miles per hour before he slammed onto the brakes and slammed into Suina's car at 67 miles per hour as she made a left turn in front of him.

They both had green lights.

Suina's attorney, Rachel Higgins, said Suina could not have done anything to avoid the crash.

"She was deemed by investigating police to not have made any driving error," Higgins said.

APD said McDonnell is still on light duty because of injuries from the crash. The department's internal affairs case is still under review.

Officer McDonnell had already had five "preventable crashes" since joining APD in 2008.

APD policy doesn't touch on speeding through intersections, only saying it's an officer's duty to drive with due regard for others' safety, regardless of the emergency.
The moments I was censored was the moment that I won. That's twice, now.Thanks jwbaker, et al, for my victories.
johndoe3
Silent But Deadly

Re: Cop sues mother of 6 year old boy he killed.

Post by johndoe3 »

"She was deemed by investigating police to not have made any driving error," Higgins said.
With the police investigation itself absolving the woman of any driving error, I would think the Officer's attorney would have told him, "you have a 99% probability of losing your lawsuit." Maybe his suit is merely to try and minimize her future civil lawsuit against him? (his 5 previous preventable crashes also is not in his favor in the lawsuit).
You can fool all of the people some of the time, and some of the people all of the time...and those are pretty good odds.
Brett Maverick, gambler on TV (also used by Progressive leaders everywhere)
ick
Silent But Deadly

Post by ick »

You might be a victim of anti-police media propaganda on this one.

When something like this happens there is a large legal apparatus in play. I imagine that there are at least 4 different insurance carriers involved in this case.

Law Enforcement Legal Liability Policy
Department automobile liability insurance
Woman's underinsured motorist coverage from her auto policy.
Woman's underinsured motorist coverage for other passengers.
Auto policy of the guy being chased.
Woman's automobile liability insurance policy to defend her as not at fault.
Workers compensation policy on the policeman.
Possibly even this policeman's personal auto policy coverage.

These carriers also engage in subrogation against each other in order to try and shift costs to the appropriate legally responsible party. These insurance companies often "sue in the name of" in cases like this. I would love to see the PDF of this filing. It is almost certain that this is a legally required part of the normal process on a case like this. I would not be surprised if this lawsuit is under the direction of an insurance company operating on this police officer's legal rights. The officer may very well be powerless to prevent this action.

In addition, if this policeman has injuries he may very well be REQUIRED to enter a suit against the woman in order to trigger his own person underinsured motorist coverage from his personal auto policy.

Given what I read there is no "evil cop" here, this is SOP in the legal and insurance world. This is how our legal system works, unfortunately.
-----
Ick
poikilotrm
Silent But Deadly

Post by poikilotrm »

He is suing for emotional distress, not injuries recieved. He initiated the suit, not any insurance company.
The moments I was censored was the moment that I won. That's twice, now.Thanks jwbaker, et al, for my victories.
hardcase
Silent But Deadly

Post by hardcase »

This sounds like something you would read in a John Grisham book. A case like the lawyer, "The Bruiser" would have taken to turn a fast buck by getting a settlement. The protagonist in this case would be the bad guy.
ick
Silent But Deadly

Post by ick »

Wrong.

This is one case from a group of filed items.

https://caselookup.nmcourts.gov/caselookup/

This is assumption journalism that quotes one line and tries to use it to over-simplify what is going on.

And now you have propagated this half-ass journalism as truth. How many other gun sites do you go to an puke all over the place?

This situation is already awful. Now you make it worse.
-----
Ick
poikilotrm
Silent But Deadly

Post by poikilotrm »

Your crappy links go to Brownell’s and to a blank wall. Your assertion of baselessness seems fairly thin. Care to elaborate? Or are you suggesting that because other people have filed suits for other things, that this somehow makes Officer Scumbag less of a shitstain?

Quit making excuses for crooked immoral cops.
ick
Silent But Deadly

Post by ick »

It is a link to the court case system to lookup actual information on cases you uninformed moron.

You have to key in search results yourself to find the records.... but lets jump to uninformed conclusions.

Better off being a bigot and jump to uninformed conclusions rather than seek facts.
-----
Ick
poikilotrm
Silent But Deadly

Post by poikilotrm »

I don’t have any burden of proof, you do, copsucker. If you say there is something that mitigates or excuses his obvious lack of sanity and morals, then it is up to you to display it. Make it happen, or shut up.
DKDravis
Silent But Deadly

Post by DKDravis »

While I certainly do not live under the ASSumption that all cops ar "good guys", I do not live under the opposite ASSumption that "poikilotrm" seems to live under ..

In this particular case it would seem that he has at least some point, just based on the simple fact that this particular cop has "crapped his sty" on multiple occasions .. Maybe he really should sue the police departtment for putting him behind a wheel in a cop car, a job he clearly is unable to do in a "safe" way -- regardless of lawsuits..
DKDravis

"Sapere Aude": Dare to KNOW!
"Do not adjust your mind, there's a fault in reality!"
"When Wrong becomes Right, Resistance becomes our duty!"
Postal code 8541
poikilotrm
Silent But Deadly

Post by poikilotrm »

Ain't no assumption to it.
hardcase
Silent But Deadly

Post by hardcase »

I think a lot of the problem with LE in the USA is the low pay, long irregular hours, but mostly low pay. Most departments are willing to accept people that really should be in the sanitation department writing tickets for liter bugs. Every once-in-a-while the police department will get a reasonable, devoted LE office but lose them because the pay just sucks.

They have to many people with personal power issues too.
poikilotrm
Silent But Deadly

Post by poikilotrm »

They are horribly over paid. Charts and more at the links:

http://www.discoverpolicing.org/why_pol ... _stability

According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics Occupational Employment Statistics Survey, as of May 2015, the average annual wage for police and sheriff’s patrol officers was $61,270 versus $48,320 for all occupations combined. The chart below shows how police salaries compare against other service industry and criminal justice-related fields.

https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes333051.htm
fishman
Silent But Deadly

Post by fishman »

How does that prove that they're overpaid?
300 blackout form 1: http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=137293

5.56 form 1:
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=141800&p=955647#p955647