Couple believes evil doesn't exist, then they biked through ISIS territory

Links to popular or interesting stories in the news.

Please post links rather than copies of stories due to honoring copyright rules.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw, renegade, Hush

johndoe3
Silent But Deadly

Couple believes evil doesn't exist, then they biked through ISIS territory

Post by johndoe3 »

http://dailycaller.com/2018/08/16/coupl ... territory/

A D.C. couple, who both worked for government agencies during the Obama administration, decided to
bicycle around the world as the adventure of a lifetime.

Both were convinced philosophically that evil does not exist...
“I don’t buy it. Evil is a make-believe concept we’ve invented to deal with the complexities of fellow humans holding values and beliefs and perspectives different than our own—it’s easier to dismiss an opinion as abhorrent than strive to understand it. Badness exists, sure, but even that’s quite rare. By and large, humans are kind. Self-interested sometimes, myopic sometimes, but kind. Generous and wonderful and kind. No greater revelation has come from our journey than this.”
They chose to bike through ISIS territory...
Unfortunately, Austin and Geoghegan discovered first-hand that evil does exist in the world when they traveled through a terrorist hotbed.

The couple chose to bike through the Muslim country of Tajikistan with another group of cyclists. They met a gruesome fate when confronted by five members of ISIS.

On July 29th, a car driven by the ISIS members rammed the bikers. The men exited the van and began stabbing the bikers, killing Austin and Geoghegan, along with the other bikers.

ISIS claimed responsibility for the attack in a video featuring the killers posing with an ISIS flag and pledging allegiance to ISIS leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi. According to the New York Times, the men vowed to kill the “disbelievers.”
Their deaths disprove their naive concept that evil doesn't exist. On the plus side, their death was filmed and
is popular worldwide by ISIS as a recruiting video.
You can fool all of the people some of the time, and some of the people all of the time...and those are pretty good odds.
Brett Maverick, gambler on TV (also used by Progressive leaders everywhere)
TROOPER
Silent But Deadly

Re: Couple believes evil doesn't exist, then they biked through ISIS territory

Post by TROOPER »

ISIS is active in Tajikistan?

Why? For what? And who cares about Tajikistan?

Possibly related, woman tries to prove that the Middle East is safe so she goes there and is raped and murdered.

Google "Pippa Bacca", an Italian Feminist Artist. AKA, an idiot, idealogical plant-food.
fishman
Silent But Deadly

Post by fishman »

Their deaths disprove their naive concept that evil doesn't exist.
No it doesn't. It proves that people are willing to kill each other. I agree with their philosophy, but certainly not their choices.

They're naive to think that extremists won't kill innocent people.
300 blackout form 1: http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=137293

5.56 form 1:
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=141800&p=955647#p955647
johndoe3
Silent But Deadly

Post by johndoe3 »

If only there were a small tool that one could carry on their body, which would have taken
down the 5 knife-bearing attackers?

Maybe something you point at the attackers and pull a lever to actuate? and carry in a pouch/holster?

...if any of the 5 cyclists traveling together in a group had had a self-defense pistol, then all might still be alive?
You can fool all of the people some of the time, and some of the people all of the time...and those are pretty good odds.
Brett Maverick, gambler on TV (also used by Progressive leaders everywhere)
poikilotrm
Silent But Deadly

Post by poikilotrm »

TROOPER wrote:ISIS is active in Tajikistan?

Why? For what? And who cares about Tajikistan?.
They aren't active there. They use it as a safe haven for R&R and resupply. Think Laos in 1970.
The moments I was censored was the moment that I won. That's twice, now.Thanks jwbaker, et al, for my victories.
poikilotrm
Silent But Deadly

Post by poikilotrm »

fishman wrote: No it doesn't. It proves that people are willing to kill each other. I agree with their philosophy, but certainly not their choices.

They're naive to think that extremists won't kill innocent people.
Killing innocent people for a having a different imaginary friend is evil, pure and simple. Calling them extremists does not negate the moral aspect of their evil.

if you think evil does not exist, I can show you a metric fuckton of evidence to the contrary. we can start with the Carr brothers, or Channon Christopher and Chris Newsom. Failing that, I could just drop you off in the right part of Oakland on a Friday night.
The moments I was censored was the moment that I won. That's twice, now.Thanks jwbaker, et al, for my victories.
a_canadian
Silent But Deadly

Post by a_canadian »

Particulars regarding invisible friends really has nothing to do with this nonsense. It's punks with no moral compass acting out as a violent gang, and they'll use any sort of excuse to do such evil deeds. And while it'd be nice to be able to ride around the world on a bike and see all the beautiful sights and meet all the lovely people and sample all the incredible foods... it takes a rather special kind of stupid to go into an area where random acts of extreme violence are commonplace. Heck, might as well go backpacking in Brazil if you're that suicidal.
-------------------------------------
Had a look at the Snopes article on this incident. Seems like maybe the various opinion pieces on this couple's motivation and perspective are unfounded. Sticking to the 'special kind of stupid' opinion (maybe I'm a chicken, but I'm not planning any trips to such locales - I like my life), but they're not quintessential libtards:
Snopes wrote: Based on their own written reflections posted during their trip, Austin and Geoghegan were not acting as liberal, idealist missionaries, despite the impression that the Pluralist headline might have created. Like many tourists who traveled beyond their own cultural comfort zones, they appeared to have been simply struck by the generosity and thoughtfulness they encountered, just as they took note of moments of hostility or unhelpfulness.
from here - https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/mille ... ajikistan/
poikilotrm
Silent But Deadly

Post by poikilotrm »

a_canadian wrote:Particulars regarding invisible friends really has nothing to do with this nonsense. It's punks with no moral compass acting out as a violent gang, and they'll use any sort of excuse to do such evil deeds. And while it'd be nice to be able to ride around the world on a bike and see all the beautiful sights and meet all the lovely people and sample all the incredible foods... it takes a rather special kind of stupid to go into an area where random acts of extreme violence are commonplace. Heck, might as well go backpacking in Brazil if you’re that suicidal.
Evil is not restricted to religious nuttery, but in this case it was a direct result of it. That couple failed to understand human beings who don’t live in the first world. It cost them their lives.

And FFS don’t ever quote Snopes.
TROOPER
Silent But Deadly

Post by TROOPER »

poikilotrm wrote:
TROOPER wrote:ISIS is active in Tajikistan?

Why? For what? And who cares about Tajikistan?.
They aren't active there. They use it as a safe haven for R&R and resupply. Think Laos in 1970.
Fair enough. But still... .why? And how? Ideologically it makes sense, or at least as much as ISIS does in general. But re-supply doesn't make sense, because none of the countries surrounding Tajikistan are particularly tolerant of ISIS.
poikilotrm
Silent But Deadly

Post by poikilotrm »

TROOPER wrote:
Fair enough. But still... .why? And how? Ideologically it makes sense, or at least as much as ISIS does in general. But re-supply doesn't make sense, because none of the countries surrounding Tajikistan are particularly tolerant of ISIS.
They are tolerant of muslims and money. People in the Caribbean hate whites, but they like their money. Same thing.
Striker753

Post by Striker753 »

Not to mention that countries such as Tajikistan may be irrelevant on the geopolitical chessboard, but in the eyes of ISIS, they're muslim countries and should thus be united under their banner. Plus, should they have a strong presence in Tajikistan, it would mean that there's an Islamist bridgehead directly in Russia's backyard, which would damage the international position of Moscow, and on top of that, it would give Iran things to worry about, as there would be a Saudi-aligned radical Sunni regime near their northeastern border. In other words, it would be a geopolitical defeat for Russia, and a threat for Iran, which would be sandwiched between Saudi Arabia and one of their satellite states.
So, in terms of Middle Eastern and Muslim geopolitics, Tajikistan IS a big deal.