LWRC REPR to Les Baer should I switch

Random gun talk.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Logbas34

LWRC REPR to Les Baer should I switch

Post by Logbas34 »

Which would be more beneficial? Having a rifle that is more versatile or one that is more accurate?

Currently I own a 20" REPR. So far with handloads I can get down to .75 MOA if I'm REALLY lucky and paying strict attention to shooting techniques. Otherwise the groups hover slightly under 1 MOA. I was looking into getting one of those Les Baer 308's with the famed 1/2 MOA guarantee with factory FGMM, but I'm unsure if the benefit of having the extra (claimed) accuracy is worth loosing some functionality.
I like how the REPR has the 4 position gas block, normal, adverse, suppressed, and closed. Lets say I want to shoot subsonic suppressed. I just switch it to the closed position and I have a rifle that will shoot quietly without action noise. Need to switch to longer range? that's fine, switch mags, adjust to suppressed and adjust scope and I'm G2G.
runs clean... eats anything!! It has that awesome little side charging handle.
I also am a left handed shooter so blow back is a concern. I like going to the range and not being mistaken as a Syrian national wearing a towel wrapped around my face. The piston system definitely reduces blowback IMO. These are just a few reasons why I am pleased with my REPR.

The Les Baer, Yes they guarantee 1/2 MOA, but can I count on that guarantee? Also to me it doesn't nearly seem as versatile as my REPR. It's a DI gun. DI + lefty = me wearing blackface after range day. No specific set up for shooting suppressed. Will it reliably eat any ammo if I'm in a pinch?

what would you guys think? Should I keep pressing on with load development with the REPR, or trade up for a more accurate gun with less functionality? thanks everyone!
tsands974
Silent But Deadly

Re: LWRC REPR to Les Baer should I switch

Post by tsands974 »

If you're doing strictly competitions, I would go with the Les Baer. If you're wanting it for hunting, defense, or other applications, I would keep the REPR and tweak loads until you find the magic one it likes. Unless you're doing competitions, shooting very long range or demand absolute precision in your shooting, the difference between the 3/4 moa your REPR does and the 1/2 moa the Les Baer offers doesn't justify the switch imho. I have shot some buddies' 20" REPRs and both of them were shooting sub half MOA with hand loads. My bet is you can get yours to do this as well, but with those tolerances, your personal shooting ability weighs heavily in getting a rifle to go sub half moa.
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

X MOA guarantees in general mean nothing.

Don't be tricked.

Anyone can claim that, and then say it is your ammo or shooting. Then refund some money to the 1% of people who still complain.
Wicked
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wicked »

Stick tight to what you've got.

I wouldn't be unhappy with the accuracy you are currently getting and switching likely won't improve it enough to make a difference.
https://www.facebook.com/wickedweapons