FFL Refuses to Sell Guns to Residents of His Own State?

Random gun talk.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

jreinke
Silent But Deadly

FFL Refuses to Sell Guns to Residents of His Own State?

Post by jreinke »

Normally I would have posted this in the "Nut Case Bitch and Wine" section, but seeing as how Robert has seen fit to delete that forum, I'll post it here. So there's this ******* ******* (the asterisks represent any foul word of your own choosing) that's selling guns on the internet, but refuses to sell them to anyone in his own state, because he doesn't want to get a sales tax number (I asked). WTF! Doesn't this violate the premise of having a FFL? I mean it's a license to conduct business in your community. In fact I'm fairly certain that when you apply for an FFL you are required to have all the necessary state and local permits, etc and one of those items would be a sales tax number. I would appreciate comments from other FFL's. Normally I wouldn't give two ***** about this guy but he usually has the lowest prices on just about every gun I look for at any given time on the internet.
[url=http://militarysignatures.com][img]http://militarysignatures.com/signatures/member1236.png[/img][/url]
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Re: FFL Refuses to Sell Guns to Residents of His Own State?

Post by Bendersquint »

jreinke wrote:Normally I would have posted this in the "Nut Case Bitch and Wine" section, but seeing as how Robert has seen fit to delete that forum, I'll post it here. So there's this ******* ******* (the asterisks represent any foul word of your own choosing) that's selling guns on the internet, but refuses to sell them to anyone in his own state, because he doesn't want to get a sales tax number (I asked). WTF! Doesn't this violate the premise of having a FFL? I mean it's a license to conduct business in your community. In fact I'm fairly certain that when you apply for an FFL you are required to have all the necessary state and local permits, etc and one of those items would be a sales tax number. I would appreciate comments from other FFL's. Normally I wouldn't give two ***** about this guy but he usually has the lowest prices on just about every gun I look for at any given time on the internet.
The purpose of the FFL is to conduct business in firearms. There is no requirement to conduct business in your community only to conduct business.

Yes, you are required to have all the permits necessary state and local that apply to the business you are starting. If he is not doing local sales and collecting local taxes then he doesn't need a local tax license(disclaimer - some states may require it even with no tax collection).

Unfortunately his business model does not fit your needs/desires, but he is perfectly legit(pending above disclaimer of course).
jreinke
Silent But Deadly

Post by jreinke »

Your response mirrors that of a business owner friend of mine in a conversation not 20 minutes ago. It still sucks. :(
[url=http://militarysignatures.com][img]http://militarysignatures.com/signatures/member1236.png[/img][/url]
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

jreinke wrote: It still sucks. :(
Agreed.
renegade
Silent But Deadly

Post by renegade »

Mail order sales are much easier than OTC. I prefer them too, but I do not refuse to sell locally.
WhisperFan
Silent But Deadly

Post by WhisperFan »

If many people and small businesses have their way, all internet sales will be taxes too!

Then he will sell in his own state (maybe)
As nightfall does not come all at once, neither does oppression. In both instances, there is a twilight when everything remains seemingly unchanged. And it is in such a twilight that we all must be aware of change in the air -- however slight -- lest we become unwilling victims of the darkness.
Justice William O. Douglas
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

WhisperFan wrote:If many people and small businesses have their way, all internet sales will be taxes too!

Small businesses are fighting for more taxes? :shock:
WhisperFan
Silent But Deadly

Post by WhisperFan »

Bendersquint wrote:
WhisperFan wrote:If many people and small businesses have their way, all internet sales will be taxes too!

Small businesses are fighting for more taxes? :shock:
Yeah - ain't it a shame? I guess they figure that since places like Amazon can sell products at a lower price (and make up for it in volume) and they don't charge taxes (just S&H) ... if the Federal or State Gov't would force them to collect sales tax, consumers will choose to buy local and pay a higher price but save S&H ... or at least that is the theory.
As nightfall does not come all at once, neither does oppression. In both instances, there is a twilight when everything remains seemingly unchanged. And it is in such a twilight that we all must be aware of change in the air -- however slight -- lest we become unwilling victims of the darkness.
Justice William O. Douglas
Ryo
Silent But Deadly

Post by Ryo »

jreinke wrote:Normally I would have posted this in the "Nut Case Bitch and Wine" section, but seeing as how Robert has seen fit to delete that forum, I'll post it here. So there's this ******* ******* (the asterisks represent any foul word of your own choosing) that's selling guns on the internet, but refuses to sell them to anyone in his own state, because he doesn't want to get a sales tax number (I asked). WTF! Doesn't this violate the premise of having a FFL? I mean it's a license to conduct business in your community. In fact I'm fairly certain that when you apply for an FFL you are required to have all the necessary state and local permits, etc and one of those items would be a sales tax number. I would appreciate comments from other FFL's. Normally I wouldn't give two ***** about this guy but he usually has the lowest prices on just about every gun I look for at any given time on the internet.
What were you looking for?
jreinke
Silent But Deadly

Post by jreinke »

He was selling a Savage MK II FSS for $261. I ultimately found one for a few dollars more in Minnesota. I'm making a stainless steel version of the Savage MK II FV-SR.
Kramer
Silent But Deadly

Post by Kramer »

There is a FFL/SOT here in nePA (and he is on this board) that will not do transfers to Corps or Trusts, only individuals.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Kramer wrote:There is a FFL/SOT here in nePA (and he is on this board) that will not do transfers to Corps or Trusts, only individuals.
Who is it?
oilfieldtrash76
Senior Silent Operator

Post by oilfieldtrash76 »

When I interviewed with ATF before getting my license they asked and insisted that I have a state tax ID. However this was after I told them I would be selling firearms to individuals face to face. Not sure what they would have said about out of state only sales but it seems to be legal. ATF was concerned with making sure I was actually doing business for profit and not with the exact nature or details of my business plan.
"Peace, That wonderful moment when everyone is standing around reloading!" Unknown

FFL (07)
JasonNC
Senior Silent Operator

Post by JasonNC »

Kramer wrote:There is a FFL/SOT here in nePA (and he is on this board) that will not do transfers to Corps or Trusts, only individuals.
I have a local gun shop here in Raleigh that has the same they claim its a loop hole in th law and they want nothing to do with it.
It is not the Death Rattle in the throat of Western civilization which is surprising: it is the fact that millions of Americans believe that the death rattle is a beautiful song!
ick
Silent But Deadly

Post by ick »

I understand why he doesn't want to screw with sales tax forms. Sales tax is a lot of screwing around with forms all year long.

I suspect that this sort of strategy, avoiding things that require a lot of screwing around.....permeates his business in all levels. This is, in fact, probably why his "prices are so good."

Not saying it is right, or even legitimate, just more efficient.

He should not be compelled by law or regulation to do business in his own state. That would be an affront to liberty... and I am certain that is against the core principles of most reasonable persons.
-----
Ick
edcurtis

Post by edcurtis »

JasonNC wrote: I have a local gun shop here in Raleigh that has the same they claim its a loop hole in th law and they want nothing to do with it.

Local shop/FFL here will do transfers on any weapons but NOT AR15 stripped lowers. Says he doesn't want the ATF kicking his door down over stripped lowers.

...wat?
Kramer
Silent But Deadly

Post by Kramer »

JasonNC wrote:
I have a local gun shop here in Raleigh that has the same they claim its a loop hole in th law and they want nothing to do with it.
Between me (LLC/Corp) and my buddy (Trust), the guy here in nePA lost out on a lot of can sales.