Rebuilt Remington 540X

Random gun talk.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

WhisperFan
Silent But Deadly

Rebuilt Remington 540X

Post by WhisperFan »

I bought a Remington 540X. This was a single shot 22LR target rifle and they made only about 6500 of them in total. I got mine pretty cheaply because it didn't' have the original stock, someone has shortened the barrel, and the bluing wasn't all that great. None of that mattered to me :)

I yanked the barrel, threw away the stock and parkerized the receiver. Then I bought a barrel blank, turned it to OD, chambered it and mounted it to the receiver. I drilled the barrel for scope blocks and shopped for a scope. I even made a new bolt handle.

I found an affordable R.A. Litschert 15X target scope and the bluing was really thinning ... since it isn't a nitrogen filled pressurized scope, I took the whole thing apart and parkerized the metal parts. I bought new .0005" tungsten wire and re-wired the cross-hairs. Then I had to get a new stock. I decided on a quilted maple stock. I did all the finishing (which I don't think is my strong point) and it came out acceptable. I made a walnut butt plate.

I finished the rest this morning - but it is raining ... maybe next weekend I can see if I did it all right .... if not - it sure is an expensive and pretty paperweight! :wink:

Last edited by WhisperFan on Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:46 am, edited 3 times in total.
As nightfall does not come all at once, neither does oppression. In both instances, there is a twilight when everything remains seemingly unchanged. And it is in such a twilight that we all must be aware of change in the air -- however slight -- lest we become unwilling victims of the darkness.
Justice William O. Douglas
WhisperFan
Silent But Deadly

Re: Rebuilt Remington 540X

Post by WhisperFan »

As nightfall does not come all at once, neither does oppression. In both instances, there is a twilight when everything remains seemingly unchanged. And it is in such a twilight that we all must be aware of change in the air -- however slight -- lest we become unwilling victims of the darkness.
WhisperFan
Silent But Deadly

Post by WhisperFan »

WhisperFan
Silent But Deadly

Post by WhisperFan »

WhisperFan
Silent But Deadly

Post by WhisperFan »

WhisperFan
Silent But Deadly

Post by WhisperFan »

WhisperFan
Silent But Deadly

Post by WhisperFan »

TROOPER
Silent But Deadly

Post by TROOPER »

You be careful now... if you make a gun too pretty, you may not want to shoot it.

---------ETA-----------
Ok, guys who claim to "just read" the articles in Playboy are liars. I didn't read a word you had typed with those pictures up. Come to find out you did basically all of the work on that? Good gravy! That's beyond a "good job"... that's amazing!
WhisperFan
Silent But Deadly

Post by WhisperFan »

Oh - I want to shoot it! I cant say how much I want to shoot it! :)

I also have plenty of 'ugly' black and parkerized colored rifles ..... I just wanted this one to look nice, and I didn't have any maple stocked rifles .... everything is walnut or synthetic of some time. I do like the way it came out - but I'm sure it is not for everyone.
continuity
Elite Member

Post by continuity »

VERY nice!!!
What amount of a man is composed of his own collection of experiences... and the conclusions that those experiences have allowed him to "know" for certain as "Truth"? :Ick
tylermtech
Silent But Deadly

Post by tylermtech »

WOW! Great job. Did you make the stock your self? The walnut butt plate really sets it off.
WhisperFan
Silent But Deadly

Post by WhisperFan »

tylermtech wrote:WOW! Great job. Did you make the stock your self? The walnut butt plate really sets it off.

Thanks - and I got the stock from Don Stith
http://www.donstith.com/
(the prices on the website are out-dated!)

It didn't hurt that I live about 35 miles from him and I just drove there and we talked in his shop while he inletted the stock for the barreled action.

It was 'semi-finished' I had to do the final sanding, make the butt plate, and apply the finish.
WhisperFan
Silent But Deadly

Post by WhisperFan »

Bearing in mind that I am no bench-rest shooter (yet) I took out the rifle yesterday and sighted her in. This is the first 15 shot target.

WhisperFan
Silent But Deadly

Post by WhisperFan »

This is the best target of the - 2 fliers ... but the other 13 shots just tore out a ragged hole

I'm sure I'll get better
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

Those look pretty good to me, easily minute of squirrel.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
WhisperFan
Silent But Deadly

Post by WhisperFan »

My main goal here was to see what I could do on the lathe.

I cut the chamber, and mounted the barrel. This is only the second barrel I have done from a blank and this one is a pinned barrel and not a threaded one. I think the chamber and crown came out as good as a factory rifle and perhaps (in some ways) better.

Overall, I am happy with the way it all came together
RJT
Silent But Deadly

Post by RJT »

Very nice rebuild.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.