Legendary suppressed pistols

Random gun talk.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Simon
Location: LaVerkin, Utah (my CONUS HQ :-) / Glockland, Europe

Legendary suppressed pistols

Post by Simon »

Just wondered about suppressed pistols that saw real service and made a little list. Any additional suggestions?
> High Standard HD: WWII, Vietnam, still in some Marine recon units
> MK 22 Mod. 0 with the "Hush Puppy" suppressor: Vietnam (SEALs)
> MK 23 Mod. 0 (?)

what about the SIG Sauers the Seals used before the MK 23 SOCOm was invented (or still use?), does it have a "Mk XX Mod. 0" designation in a silenced version?
Stephen Gray
Silent But Deadly

Post by Stephen Gray »

SEALs still use the SIGs primarily. Or did in 2005. (I just finished reading "Lone Survivor", highly recommend it btw).
Conqueror
Elite Member

Post by Conqueror »

SEALs also use integral Ruger .22s, but I don't know the manufacturer.
Hush
Silent But Deadly

Post by Hush »

Don't forget Blackjack Pershing and his troops brought some Maxim's along into his forage down old Mexico.
Demand stringent background and mental health checks on your politicians.
Suputin
Silent But Deadly

Post by Suputin »

dragoon
Silent But Deadly

Post by dragoon »

The Welrod , like someone just illustrated .
The Walther PPK in .22 was popular in WWII with the NAZIs , as was the .32 CZ .
The .32 and .380 Walther PPKs saw service with our troops (MACSOG) in Vietnam , as did the silenced .45 1911A1 .
The Chinese Type 64 , and Type 67 .
-fate-
Silent But Deadly

Post by -fate- »

Heres what we had
Image This is added to show the bolt holdback better.
ImageStock M9 (see the diffference)

bolt lock and all works with wipers and 147 gr very quiet.

-fate-
USAF Pararescue (Capt retired)
SWR Trident
SWR Warlock
AAC M4 2000
Gemtec Multimount
TAC 16
Blackside
MK II Integrally Suppressed
10/22 Integrally Suppressed
M77 .22 Integrally Suppressed
badsbsnf81

Post by badsbsnf81 »

I have seen a Beretta Model 1934 from WWII with an original threaded barrell.
You do what you are
caster

Post by caster »

I saw a Browning High Power with a stainless silencer, used in 1979 in Angola by a South African 2ndLt, but I have no idea if the combo was privately owned, as Star 9mms were standard issue at the time.
He was just plinking at a range, and the ammo was NATO 115 grain, so there was still a sonic boom, but way reduced from standard.
stengun
Silent But Deadly

Post by stengun »

Howdy,

I seen/used Hi-Standards, Ruger MK I w/ integral suppressor, Walther PPK/S .380 and a Berreta 93R.

I've never seen one but several of the "Ol' Timers" claimed they used a highly modified S&W Mod. 29 .44 Rem Mag w/ a suppressor.

Paul
"The number of people that I've killed is not important. What is important is how I get along with the ones that are still alive."

"A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'" (Author unknown)
TROOPER
Silent But Deadly

Post by TROOPER »

Stengun - how did that PPK .380 work out for you? Reason I'm asking is, I think a Bersa .380 with its fixed barrel, relatively small diameter bore (comparable to a 9mm instead of a .45), low powder and availability of subsonic ammunition would make this an ideal round and firearm to suppress.

Reliability of cycling (no tilting barrel), smaller suppressor (no Nielsen Device) - Jesus! It really does look like the ideal package. But some folks here have shot down my idea saying that the excessive blowback is a big problem. I've wondered myself if excess spring coils, or a different spring would solve this.

How was your .380 PPK?
I read that it's douche to list your guns here, so I stopped that.
Artful
Silent But Deadly

Post by Artful »

On the blow back 380's you can increase the strength of the hammer and recoil spring and/or put an annular ring or divit in the chamber of the barrel to delay the blowback to help with keeping the slide closed until the pressure has dropped. (like a seacamp pistol)

without modification to the blowback pistol it seemed to me to actually get loader :shock: but putting a stronger spring in helped on my Mak :wink:
"Trying to tax yourself into prosperity is like standing in a bucket and trying to pick yourself up by the handle." - Winston Churchill
badsbsnf81

Post by badsbsnf81 »

Maybe they wre referring to the QSPR (Quite Special Purpose Revolver) used in tunnel warfare in Viet Nam?

It was a Model 29, modified by AAI Corp. A smooth bore barrel replaced the factory barrel. It used special amunitionn with a captive pistion to achieve the noise reduction.

The June 2002 issue of Small Arms Review has an article about the QSPR.

Maybe they were thinking of the Ruger GP-100 modified to fire a 30-calibre cartridge that seals the barrel/cylinder gap with an O-ring arrangement? Built by Knight Engineering and called, IIRC, Knight's Revolving Rifle.
You do what you are