heavy buffer in an AR

Random gun talk.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Samson104
Silent But Deadly

heavy buffer in an AR

Post by Samson104 »

I'm in the process of making a heavy buffer for a fellas full auto in an efforts to slow it down some and it got me to thinking (after some reading) why don't more people use heavier buffers rather than the really light ones that are typically stock? Im certain I can make one 7.5 oz and maintain the slide hammer effect and probably up. To 10 oz keeping it solid.

I've read that the solid buffers can cause "bolt bounce" reducing reliability in some guns.
Killerapplesauce
Senior Silent Operator

Re: heavy buffer in an AR

Post by Killerapplesauce »

speed6
Senior Silent Operator

Post by speed6 »

I noticed significantly less "gassiness" with my H2 buffer, suppressed 12.5" AR vs. my buddy's 11.5" (with same can) and a standard carbine buffer.
sillycon
Silent But Deadly

Post by sillycon »

Samson104 wrote:I'm in the process of making a heavy buffer for a fellas full auto in an efforts to slow it down some and it got me to thinking (after some reading) why don't more people use heavier buffers rather than the really light ones that are typically stock? Im certain I can make one 7.5 oz and maintain the slide hammer effect and probably up. To 10 oz keeping it solid.

I've read that the solid buffers can cause "bolt bounce" reducing reliability in some guns.
With some creative thinking, you can make them to 14+oz with the "slide-hammer effect" (CAR size/style). :shock:

My 10oz buffer is the same design as the 14oz one; just different materials are involved.

Note: I'm NOT the owner/guy behind the "heavybuffers" site.
jimbo45
Silent Operator

Post by jimbo45 »

Killerapplesauce wrote:http://heavybuffers.com/
I have the carbine xh buffer that's 8.5 ounces and its fantastic, I know a 5.56 doesn't have much recoil but it eliminates pretty much all of it.
Joker31D
Silent But Deadly

Post by Joker31D »

it knocks my 6.5 Grendel and my beowulf down to a very manageable amount, actually timed my Grendel perfectly with it, it slowed the BCG down and I sent my brass right where it belongs, now that I have the Saker it might need a gas block to adjust it further. I havent shot it much with the Saker because I tore it down at had the chamber polished a little to get rid of the high spots. I plan on changing a few things on it before next season so that it is more manageable.

Some of the things I plan on doing:
Managing the excess gas that blows back
Setting up the gas so it can be turned off to quiet it more (Like a straight pull bolt action)
CeraKote
Carbon Fiber Handguard
Clip On Night Vision
Visit my Wounded Hunter Project Blog!
https://woundedhunterproject.wordpress.com/

It has a beard and its climbing mountains ... it must be a billy goat! wait, it has a Rifle!
Killerapplesauce
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Killerapplesauce »

KAK also sells a AR15 CONFIGURABLE BUFFER KIT.

http://www.kakindustry.com/ar15-buffer-system

I also have a JP silent capture spring that you can configure too.