COLT CAR-15 Conversion

Random gun talk.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

T78m6b
Silent But Deadly

COLT CAR-15 Conversion

Post by T78m6b »

Whats the procedure for having a Colt CAR-15 converted to FA? Any help would be appreciated
TROOPER
Silent But Deadly

Re: COLT CAR-15 Conversion

Post by TROOPER »

I'm a little confused, please provide extra information.

As I understand -- and I'm willing to be corrected -- you have a Colt CAR-15, which is an AR-15, that you want to convert to a full-auto platform?

I don't know much about ARs, so I might end up misstating some of the technical aspects, but I believe you need to purchase a "transferrable full-auto sear" if it's even possible to convert your particular firearm... which I'm not confident is possible, since I assume -- and again, I'm happy to be corrected -- that the full-auto NFA status is tied to a serial number.

That I know of using a very quick-and-dirty Google search, anything full-auto chambered in 5.56 or 223 is going to cost ~~$20,000. In many instances, you can expect to pay much more.

When the Hughes Act came online, it limited the number of full-auto firearms in circulation available for civilians to purchase... assuming you're in a state that allows such a thing, and I believe Florida does. The end result is a very limited supply -- I think I once heard 250,000 full-auto firearms in legal civilian circulation -- with a relatively high demand.

You might could look into a "slidefire" stock. Some people use those to mimic full-auto on an AR. Youtube it... it might just be your thing.
T78m6b
Silent But Deadly

Post by T78m6b »

Yep, it's a Colt Carbine Version of the AR, she's an old issue too, no forward assist. I was toying with the idea of looking into having it converted to select-fire capability, legally, of course. The class 3 I bought it from back in the day had one he'd worked on and thinking back I DAMN should've had him modify mine (he also had the license to mfg because he made suppressors too...) he had taken one; cut the barrel down to the foregrip and of course converted it to select fire, it was a real shortie, with the stock collapsed it couldn't have been more than 2½ ft long.
TROOPER
Silent But Deadly

Post by TROOPER »

Oh man.... I am, without a doubt, not, I repeat, NOT any sort of expert on this topic, but.... I feel like this thread may end up locked by an administrator.

Before that happens - IF it happens - let me advise you as strongly as the internet allows me to do so to definitely seek out the advice of an attorney that specializes in firearms before you do anything like that. Not any ol' attorney, mind you, but one that specifically deals with firearms.
T78m6b
Silent But Deadly

Post by T78m6b »

TROOPER wrote:Oh man.... I am, without a doubt, not, I repeat, NOT any sort of expert on this topic, but.... I feel like this thread may end up locked by an administrator.

Before that happens - IF it happens - let me advise you as strongly as the internet allows me to do so to definitely seek out the advice of an attorney that specializes in firearms before you do anything like that. Not any ol' attorney, mind you, but one that specifically deals with firearms.

I found out that the only way (legally of course) to do a conversion is to purchase a DIAS which by the way will cost about the same as a transerable M-16 :lol: mid- 20's :shock:
RJT
Silent But Deadly

Post by RJT »

I think a DIAS/RDIAS is contraband as well. :cry:
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
T78m6b
Silent But Deadly

Post by T78m6b »

RJT wrote:I think a DIAS/RDIAS is contraband as well. :cry:
Neh....you can BUY them...currently they go for something in the upper 20's (Thats $20k :lol: )

Found a link that graphs the prices.....

http://www.machinegunprices.com/html/sears_0.html