Building .308 ar-10. Looking for recommendations

Random gun talk.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Stanleyj42

Building .308 ar-10. Looking for recommendations

Post by Stanleyj42 »

Does anyone have any good 308 build combinations they’ve designed that are not an arm and a leg? I was about to order a palmetto lower and started reading reviews about how not all uppers will match in the ar-10 platform like they do in the 15 line.

I have an omega silencer I plan to use with this build and barrel length suggestions are also welcome.
fishman
Silent But Deadly

Re: Building .308 ar-10. Looking for recommendations

Post by fishman »

Buy your upper, lower, lpk and handguard from the same manufacturer. This isn't required, but it simplifies things
300 blackout form 1: http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=137293

5.56 form 1:
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=141800&p=955647#p955647
Striker753

Post by Striker753 »

You'll be fine with a PSA AR-10 as long as you buy everything from this brand, apart from the compatibility issues with parts from other manufacturers, they don't have any real problem. I've got a PSA AR-15, so do a couple of my friends, and these have never let us down, even if one of them has fired like 9K rounds since it was bought.
However, my AR-10 is a DPMS one, it's still a cheap brand, but somewhat above PSA, and I don't have any reason to complain about it. And as far as barrel length goes, .308 can handle long barrels like a champ, so take something that's as long as you can handle (don't forget to take into account the silencer!)
porkchopper

Post by porkchopper »

Stanleyj42 wrote:Does anyone have any good 308 build combinations they’ve designed that are not an arm and a leg? I was about to order a palmetto lower and started reading reviews about how not all uppers will match in the ar-10 platform like they do in the 15 line.

I have an omega silencer I plan to use with this build and barrel length suggestions are also welcome.
I have owned and am around tons of 308AR's on the hunting lease. PWS, Sig 716 Patrol, SCAR, LWRC Repr, LaRue, 2 DPMS and all of them run great. As far as maybe meeting somewhere in the middle on price/features just a thought. If you are gonna shoot it suppressed I do not believe the PSA's come with an adjustable block. I shoot with a buddy who doesn't use one with a Gemtech on a DPMS, but it still works....just not ideal IMO. PWS is DPMS compatible and you can pick up a DPMS compatible lower for not much and could grab a PWS upper. I ran an PWS MK2 upper on a $200 mutt DPMS lower ran perfectly. PWS Mk2 complete upper/bcg is $1,295 right now, but I've seen them used in the $700 range. Just food for thought. Sig uses a proprietary cut on their receiver sets.
quiettime
Silent But Deadly

Post by quiettime »

I bought a DPMS GII Hunter a few years ago and just bought a threaded and fluted Rainier 18" match barrel for it.

Thinking of changing the handguard also.

Not all "builds" have to start from scratch. Just something to think about