SWISS K 11 rifle .308?

Random gun talk.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Smalldog
Silent But Deadly

SWISS K 11 rifle .308?

Post by Smalldog »

Swiss K11 (rifle before the K31)

I just happened to see this rifle at my gun dealers today. It was converted to .308/7.62mm, sporterized and suprisingly the conversion looked to be a very good one.

It is now waiting for a leftside drill/tap mount for a scope. All #'s match on all parts, to include the heavy free float barrel, that is way thick enough for threading. :twisted:

I have never seen anything like this before, and if anyone else has any info on this please post.
Artful
Silent But Deadly

Post by Artful »

I'd recommend checking out this forum

http://theswissriflesdotcommessageboard ... ifles.html
"Trying to tax yourself into prosperity is like standing in a bucket and trying to pick yourself up by the handle." - Winston Churchill
PTK
Silent But Deadly

Post by PTK »

.308 is a much higher pressure round than I'd be comfortable firing in a SR 1911 action.
Artful
Silent But Deadly

Post by Artful »

You know that's something you should check out ...
7.55x55 Swiss
In 1889, Switzerland adopted the 7.5x55 for the new Schmidt-Rubin straightpull bolt-action rifle. Whereas early versions of this unusual rifle design included a number of undesirable features that significantly limited strength and safety of the action against gas leaks, which limited safe working pressure, the improved version of 1911 could utilize the full potential of the 7.5x55 case, when loaded to a reasonably high pressure of 45,500 psi (3138 bars). Such loads allow this chambering to essentially match 308 Winchester ballistics. Therefore, this cartridge is suited to the same hunting applications as is that, more modern, cartridge. Despite its name, this cartridge uses standard 0.308-inch bullets. The original loading used a bullet that was indeed near 7.5mm in diameter (0.299-inch) but was paper-patched, to work in a standard 30-caliber bore. To add further to confusion, the common designation for a 30-caliber bullet is 7.62mm, which is not equal to 0.308 inch. Both 30-caliber and 7.62mm indicate bore diameter, which is about 0.300" for most standard 30-caliber or 7.62 chamberings. In such barrels, groove diameter and, therefore, necessary bullet diameter is 0.308 inch (7.82mm).
and the smaller case .308 WCF/7.62x51 is loaded to a higher pressure = 62,000 max pressure.

This in a 100 year old rifle is a problem I would think :shock:

http://www.swissrifles.com/sr/

although I did find this - you will have to do more research

http://www.auctionarms.com/Help/Forum/D ... ctID=10987

so you might be on safe ground... :?
"Trying to tax yourself into prosperity is like standing in a bucket and trying to pick yourself up by the handle." - Winston Churchill
Smalldog
Silent But Deadly

Post by Smalldog »

Thanks guys for the info. I was wondering about all of this. I do know that Israel converted a lot of rifles to .308, mostly the K98's. I was hoping that this might be one of them. They pressed everything they could get their hands on into service back then.

I WILL check this monster out before I fire it. It does however have a thicker barrel than stock K11 or K31's I have seen before. But then again if it is the original barrel, like the serial # denotes....

Thanks again for the info.

This might be a rifle that gets shot with proof rounds via a string, before my use. :cry:
Smalldog
Silent But Deadly

Post by Smalldog »

On a side note, could they have done like some of the modern companies do. Rebarrel a weapon and place the serial # on that part?

I am poor at computers and have not figured out how to post pictures yet, but I will try. I'm still waiting on the mount to come in, so I haven't taken it home yet.

This barrel, is thicker than normal, but maybe not fully a heavy weight, but the rifle weighs close to or more than 10 lbs as a sporter. It is however in great shape, a few dings an a little bluing loss here and there. but better than 85% condition.
Artful
Silent But Deadly

Post by Artful »

Hey, anything is possible - it too bad you could get more history on it.
Smalldog
Silent But Deadly

Post by Smalldog »

Yeah, I know, I just happened to see it, and it looked darn cool. I do like the straight pull actions.

Surplus, rifles and (safe) odd conversions are just a side hobby for me.

I did look it up and there are others out there with this conversion, and have had no problems as of yet.
PTK
Silent But Deadly

Post by PTK »

Again, I wouldn't shoot a .308 out of that action, "professional" conversion or no.
Silent But Deadly

Post by 3101 »

PTK wrote:Again, I wouldn't shoot a .308 out of that action, "professional" conversion or no.
ESPECIALLY with the availability of the K31's and 7.5 ammo now....
I can see the value of a conversion before the ammo was routinely available.....but now......I don't think so......
just my .02 cents.....
Mr. Burns: This anonymous clan of slack-jawed troglodytes has cost me the election, and yet if I were to have them killed, I would be the one to go to jail. That's democracy for you.
Smithers: You are noble and poetic in defeat, sir.
PTK
Silent But Deadly

Post by PTK »

There are shop rules where I am: NO conversions on 1911 actions, M95 actions, etc.

Basically, anything that comes in that is converted to an unsafe combination goes right back out without work done. We simply don't need the liability.
Smalldog
Silent But Deadly

Post by Smalldog »

Well, we all live and learn. I might just admit defeat.

Seriously, thanks for everyones input.
Diomed
Silent But Deadly

Post by Diomed »

PTK wrote:There are shop rules where I am: NO conversions on 1911 actions, M95 actions, etc.
No 1911 conversions? Not even stuff like .38 Super, 9mm, etc.? Seems a little overboard.
PTK
Silent But Deadly

Post by PTK »

1911 Schmidt Rubin, not JMB's 1911 action. :)
Smalldog
Silent But Deadly

Post by Smalldog »

Thanks for the info on keeping me alive. My dealer is cool and let me back out of the deal. I'll be putting the cash toward a shadow 9, for my G19.

The rifle was on consignment anyway, though it would have been super cool if it was safe. :cry:
majorbk

Re: SWISS K 11 rifle .308?

Post by majorbk »

I have owned a Schmidt Rubin 308 sporter for over 20 years and have taken many deer at distances of +300 yds. Leupold 3x9x40 with side mount. Very accurate. Pictures to follow if anyone wants to see it.
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Re: SWISS K 11 rifle .308?

Post by Capt. Link. »

I see you have been to the necropolis. I would be interested in details of the conversion.
-CL
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895