Does anyone make a bolt action 9mm rifle?

Random gun talk.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Crosshair
Silent But Deadly

Post by Crosshair »

tylermtech wrote:I wonder if the ruger 77/22 would be strong enough for 9mm? I would be tough to get a mag that would work though.
The same action design is used in the 77/44 and 77/22 Hornet so it will certainly take the pressure.
"I'm not afraid of dying. I's HOW I die that I'm concerned about." - Crosshair

"Beware the man with one gun. He probably doesn't know how to use it."
390ish

Post by 390ish »

I have a Destroyer in 9 largo. I push weak cast loads, 125 grain lee tuble lubes through it at about 1050 fps. it is a hoot. they were manufactured in 9x18, but i have never seen one. i really love my rifle. it has a real goof ball 2 stage trigger and the best roll mark of any rifle made. too bad the rifles do not have a bayo lug.
Hermit
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Hermit »

390ish wrote:I have a Destroyer in 9 largo. I push weak cast loads, 125 grain lee tuble lubes through it at about 1050 fps. it is a hoot. they were manufactured in 9x18, but i have never seen one. i really love my rifle. it has a real goof ball 2 stage trigger and the best roll mark of any rifle made. too bad the rifles do not have a bayo lug.
2 Destroyers on GB now, one is very nice. I never knew they did a 9x18 destroyer. I looked but can't find info, linky? Please prove me wrong I want one in that stubby fat little round!

The "Y" model made between 1953 and 1954 was rechambered for 9x19 , the "L1" in 1966 was marked 38acp and the "M1 in 1967 was marked "9mm parabellum". The Spanish did not even make or invent the 9 mm largo, it's a 9mm Steyr, Bergman Bayard round the Spanish took, looked at said hmmmmm, 9mm but large hence "largo".

Makes no sense though for the Spanish to do this, (especially as 9x18 was com bloc) , bore is larger on 9x18 so production would require a totally different barrel. 9x18mm rounds are loaded with bullets measuring 9.220 mm (0.363 inches)9 mm Parabellum is 9.017 mm (0.355 inches), same as 9x17 and 9x19 which seems a better choice to them since only chamber would have to be shortened. In times of shortage the Spanish Guardia Civil did use other 9mm rounds (a bad practice) but it was the 9x17, 9x19, 9mm Steyer It was VERY poor practice and some modern largo shooters will still do it as well. In this case the extractor holds the shorter round in place rather than headspacing on the rim! Hell on your extractor.

BTW as we were mentioning design on lockup for these lower pressure rounds (possibly bolt as lockup like rimfires nut I do not concur with this idea). The Destroyer did use bolt lock lugs. They say it is very much the same design as a ruger 77/22. Hermit
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb."
Artful
Silent But Deadly

Post by Artful »

Hermit wrote: BTW as we were mentioning design on lockup for these lower pressure rounds (possibly bolt as lockup like rimfires nut I do not concur with this idea). The Destroyer did use bolt lock lugs. They say it is very much the same design as a ruger 77/22. Hermit
Type 3 is a rear locking lug design

but Type 1 and Type 2 are bolt root design
http://www.9mmlargo.com/destroy/spnrif.pdf
"Trying to tax yourself into prosperity is like standing in a bucket and trying to pick yourself up by the handle." - Winston Churchill
Hermit
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Hermit »

Artful wrote:
Hermit wrote: BTW as we were mentioning design on lockup for these lower pressure rounds (possibly bolt as lockup like rimfires nut I do not concur with this idea). The Destroyer did use bolt lock lugs. They say it is very much the same design as a ruger 77/22. Hermit
Type 3 is a rear locking lug design

but Type 1 and Type 2 are bolt root design
http://www.9mmlargo.com/destroy/spnrif.pdf
Thank you. So many variations in designs, even in closely related designs. My point :roll: Lets have a bolt action carbine in common smg calibers. It can't be that tough. Trooper thinks little to no market, some disagree. I have noticed Macs and many NFA have stayed the same or are worth less but Destroyers have increased 400% since I got one 8 years ago. There MUST be some demand other than C&R. Hermit
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb."
jlwilliams
Silent But Deadly

Post by jlwilliams »

Back during the Viet Nam war, the Army tried to buy 9mm bolt action suppressed rifles from Sionics. The order was never fulfilled because of a lack of suitable host guns. Here we are, fourty years later, still no 9mm bolt action rifles. From what I've heard, the order was for thousands of units. You'd think that when the Army wanted to buy, someone would have stepped up to the plate and made the damned rifle.
Crosshair
Silent But Deadly

Post by Crosshair »

jlwilliams wrote:Back during the Viet Nam war, the Army tried to buy 9mm bolt action suppressed rifles from Sionics. The order was never fulfilled because of a lack of suitable host guns. Here we are, fourty years later, still no 9mm bolt action rifles. From what I've heard, the order was for thousands of units. You'd think that when the Army wanted to buy, someone would have stepped up to the plate and made the damned rifle.
Why 9mm? In those days the army would have used 45 ACP. :?
"I'm not afraid of dying. I's HOW I die that I'm concerned about." - Crosshair

"Beware the man with one gun. He probably doesn't know how to use it."
Artful
Silent But Deadly

Post by Artful »

Hermit wrote:Thank you. So many variations in designs, even in closely related designs. My point :roll: Lets have a bolt action carbine in common smg calibers. It can't be that tough. Trooper thinks little to no market, some disagree. I have noticed Macs and many NFA have stayed the same or are worth less but Destroyers have increased 400% since I got one 8 years ago. There MUST be some demand other than C&R. Hermit
Well the problem is most of the pistol caliber carbines that have come and gone Ruger, Marlin etc, prove it is a limited market - but as you pointed out the price for surplus Spanish Destroyers drove the price up from under 100 to almost 400 since century was selling them - Best course of action is a simple make over of an existing design - just replace barrel - magazine and ream bolt face if required - make 'em in 9mm, 40, 45 using existing pistol mag's - Richard (Special Interest Arms) is getting 300 for barrel and magwell on his SMLE conversions to 45 - he should be able to come up with a 9mm conversion on another action.
"Trying to tax yourself into prosperity is like standing in a bucket and trying to pick yourself up by the handle." - Winston Churchill
jlwilliams
Silent But Deadly

Post by jlwilliams »

Crosshair wrote:
jlwilliams wrote:Back during the Viet Nam war, the Army tried to buy 9mm bolt action suppressed rifles from Sionics. The order was never fulfilled because of a lack of suitable host guns. Here we are, fourty years later, still no 9mm bolt action rifles. From what I've heard, the order was for thousands of units. You'd think that when the Army wanted to buy, someone would have stepped up to the plate and made the damned rifle.
Why 9mm? In those days the army would have used 45 ACP. :?
I don't know why they were going to be 9mm, I would have thought 45 too. WerBell made a couple of protos and sold them on the idea and did so in 9mm.
Hermit
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Hermit »

I can't see a problem with suitable host guns today either but I think you are right, there was the industry available, the army wanted them.
Any of the big manufacturers should be able to scale an action to fit. Marlin did the camp 9 and 45, how about a bolt. As someone mentioned before; you need 1 action, a couple different bolt faces and screw in some barrels. Many cases the bolts would have the same face and extractor, all the 9mm family, I think even the tok. Hermit
Hermit
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Hermit »

Artful wrote: Best course of action is a simple make over of an existing design - just replace barrel - magazine and ream bolt face if required - make 'em in 9mm, 40, 45 using existing pistol mag's - Richard (Special Interest Arms) is getting 300 for barrel and magwell on his SMLE conversions to 45 - he should be able to come up with a 9mm conversion on another action.
That's one course of action. I don't want a conversion. Destroyer was not a conversion. If Spain could do it why can't we :shock: Hermit
JohnInNH
Elite Member

Post by JohnInNH »

Why not a MechTech CCU 9mm carbine?

http://www.mechtechsys.com/

Glock with a 30 round mag.

Should be VERY easy to make a bolt lock.
Long distance, the next best thing to being there!
Hermit
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Hermit »

JohnInNH wrote:Why not a MechTech CCU 9mm carbine?

http://www.mechtechsys.com/

Glock with a 30 round mag.

Should be VERY easy to make a bolt lock.
With all the 1911 45acps laying around wonder why I don't already have one. I have looked at them.
However I am stuck on it now. Conventional bolt action carbine, properly scaled for the round. Spose we'll never see one. Could cough up the $400 for another Destroyer they won't be getting cheaper.
Hermit
Artful
Silent But Deadly

Post by Artful »

Found Spanish Destroyer for 200.00 in a used rack a Cabela's - :twisted:
was reduced as they have been sitting on it for 300.
Hermit
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Hermit »

Artful wrote:Found Spanish Destroyer for 200.00 in a used rack a Cabela's - :twisted:
was reduced as they have been sitting on it for 300.

"I keel you" Achmed :twisted: Hermit
390ish

Post by 390ish »

I meant to type 9x19, or luger or parabellum. They never made the destroyer in 9 makarov.
Hermit
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Hermit »

390ish wrote:I meant to type 9x19, or luger or parabellum. They never made the destroyer in 9 makarov.
Thanks for clarification. It didn't make sense to me because of the different bores and com bloc ammo but if they did. I would want one of them too 8) Hermit
3 weelin geezer
Silent But Deadly

Post by 3 weelin geezer »

will36 wrote:Stay away from any conversion with Rhineland arms on it ! Dont ask why :evil:
I know what it says but I just have to.

Was it a 'stock picture' that was stolen on the internet and you got a bait-and-switch or what?
LFOD1776
Silent But Deadly

Post by LFOD1776 »

Dweezil -- you make a great point about a lever action. But looking at lever-actions chambered in 357 mag, they all seem to have tube magazines that go all the way to the muzzle. That wouldn't be so easy to thread, would it?
NRA Life Member
Selectedmarksman
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by Selectedmarksman »

I briefly owned a very 'Speshul' MP5 clone that was bolt-action from the factory, does that count? :roll:
I've got Honey Badger Fever.
*Add this to your sig if you've got the fever, too!
LFOD1776
Silent But Deadly

Post by LFOD1776 »

jlwilliams wrote:You can convert a Destroyer from 9mm largo to 9x19mm easily enough. You take the barrel out and face the chamber and soulder back about 3mm. I lucked out and cut it back exactly two threads, so the rear sight lined up on top. I had to replace the front sight anyway because I shortened and threaded the muzzle. The 9mm feeds fine out of the original mags.
I'm in the midst of procuring a Destroyer Carbine to replicate exactly this sort of modification. But I think I will have trouble finding a local gunsmith for the job... I still haven't found anyone who will chop/thread my Beretta 75 barrel and dovetail on a new front sight blade. I was thinking of trying the gunsmith at Sportsmen's Finest. Does anyone in the Austin area know a good guy for these sorts of non-standard modifications?
NRA Life Member
LFOD1776
Silent But Deadly

Post by LFOD1776 »

Apparently there was an article in Small Arms Review, Vol 5, Issue 7, p. 114 by Al Paulson entitled "Silenced Destroyer Carbine". Anyone read it, or have a copy?
NRA Life Member
Artful
Silent But Deadly

Post by Artful »

It's in Paulson's book also - Mr Ryan took the 9mm and remade as 45 ACP - poor carbine gets no respect.
Dweezil
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dweezil »

LFOD1776 wrote:Dweezil -- you make a great point about a lever action. But looking at lever-actions chambered in 357 mag, they all seem to have tube magazines that go all the way to the muzzle. That wouldn't be so easy to thread, would it?
I've seen them with the tube cut back a little, and with the tie-in to the barrel moved back a little, although this is usually far enough back that it's not necessary. Tornado Tech does 'em. I'm not sure how. I'm guessing you might have to give up 1 round of capacity in the tubular magazine.
"I'm from the government...I'm here to help."
TEXMEX
Silent Operator

Post by TEXMEX »

Dweezil wrote:
LFOD1776 wrote:Dweezil -- you make a great point about a lever action. But looking at lever-actions chambered in 357 mag, they all seem to have tube magazines that go all the way to the muzzle. That wouldn't be so easy to thread, would it?
I've seen them with the tube cut back a little, and with the tie-in to the barrel moved back a little, although this is usually far enough back that it's not necessary. Tornado Tech does 'em. I'm not sure how. I'm guessing you might have to give up 1 round of capacity in the tubular magazine.
viewtopic.php?t=57602