71%
Storm IM3200
29%

Total votes: 24

tmix
Silent But Deadly

Poll on hard cases, which to buy?

Post by tmix »

I'm looking for a hard case for my bolt gun.
Should I go with a Pelican 1720 or the Storm IM3200?
Or something else....
Opinions and reasons, please.

Thanks!
[size=150]Machine gun snob by proxy. [/size]
[img]http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x190/tmixon762/Colt_Automatic_Rifle_01.jpg[/img]
V8Astro
Silent But Deadly

Post by V8Astro »

I voted for the Pelican, although I have no experience with the Storm. I have 2 Pelican cases, both are awesome.
MicroGuy
Silent But Deadly

Post by MicroGuy »

I got a inexpensive blow molded case, can't remember the name of it. Works well for me, don't need much else. Both filled with foam, both have hard plastic outer shells. One looks better, but hey...
"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." Alexis de Tocqueville
bmanka
Silent But Deadly

Post by bmanka »

I compared the Pelican and Storm cases at a recent gun show. Both are without question quality cases. I preferred the Storm to the Pelican.
Patriot In Training
losing nemo
Silent But Deadly

Post by losing nemo »

I actually don't have any pelican cases to store any of my guns in, and I don't know why that is. But I can say this. Growing up in the surveying industry from the age of 15, I have used Pelican cases exclusively for carrying a number of different precision electronic measuring devices for the past 14 years, and I cant say enough about them. I actually have a reputation for being very hard on my stuff too. I don't know anything about the storm cases, but you will not be disappointed with the Pelican's. I have brutalized a number of they're boxes, and never seen one break. The only thing I have noticed is some of my yellow colored cases have faded in the hot Texas sun while spending summers riding in the bed of my truck.
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

Neither. Pelican is way too heavy. Get an SKB case. They are much lighter and strong enough.

http://www.skbcases.com/sports/product/ ... otgun.html
MisterWilson
Silent But Deadly

Post by MisterWilson »

+1 on the SKB cases. They could take just about anything a Pelican case could while being much lighter and a good deal cheaper.

If it was a smaller case I'd say pelican, but for something larger, not so much.

Oh, and did I mention that I just happened to have a NIB SKB rifle case for sale HERE?
tmix
Silent But Deadly

Post by tmix »

rsilvers wrote:Neither. Pelican is way too heavy. Get an SKB case. They are much lighter and strong enough.

http://www.skbcases.com/sports/product/ ... otgun.html
Wow, I looked at their models that are comparable to the pelican/storm models. They are $130 or more than the Storm/pelican.
I'll pass on those.
They have cheaper models, but without the features I'm looking for. :?
[img]http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x190/tmixon762/Colt_Automatic_Rifle_01.jpg[/img]
MisterWilson
Silent But Deadly

Post by MisterWilson »

What?

I thought that the SKB's were marketed as a more economic alternative to Pelican.

And what features were you looking for?
Twinsen
Silent But Deadly

Post by Twinsen »

Those prices seem worse than Pelicans... and so does the utility. It seems only the quad rifle case is big enough for a pistol gripped gun, especially with an optic mounted.

If you go super duper cheapy, don't get a Plano brand case. When heated (warm barrel) they release some nasty s--t that corrodes so fast it's ridiculous. The thread protector of my Saiga-12 was completely covered in rust after being placed into one for a period of UNDER 20 minutes.
tmix
Silent But Deadly

Post by tmix »

MisterWilson wrote:What?

I thought that the SKB's were marketed as a more economic alternative to Pelican.

And what features were you looking for?
Waterproof, purge valve, wheels, et cetera.

http://www.exploreproducts.com/skb-roto ... 2r5212.htm

It a bunch more too. $329!
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

Maybe there is a dealer with better SKB prices. I was not suggesting any special dealer.
MisterWilson
Silent But Deadly

Post by MisterWilson »

I believe that there's also a large difference between an ATA Military case and a regular civilian case.

That one you linked to looks bomb proof.
(And is priced accordingly. I don't believe that even the Pelicans are that heavily protected.)

Also, the cheaper ones (like the one I've got for sale) are also wheeled, waterproof, and I believe has the airlock doohickey.
Conqueror
Elite Member

Post by Conqueror »

I'm a huge fan of Pelican, and I think they are slightly more refined than Storm. SKB is alright but they don't make any cases in the dimensions I need.

Personally I don't mind the weight of Pelican cases. The really heavy ones all come with wheels. And you don't carry the case around in the woods with you, it's to protect it from the Airline Gorillas.
rjs1000
Silent But Deadly

Post by rjs1000 »

I think one of the current gun mags has a test of a bunch of the hard cases. They drop them and check for external damage, and check the rifle inside for maintained zero on the optics etc. Sorry I don't remember which magazine it is, but IIRC the pelican came out on top.
Robert
robpiat
Silent But Deadly

Post by robpiat »

We were exhibitors at the SOCOM show....I asked around and all the firearm-bearing exhibitors preferred storm cases. They liked pelicans and used both, but the storm has a few key superior design features. One main one they pointed out was having to send back a few pelicans for latches and having to drill out the pad lock latch points for high security pad locks.

I ended up with a Storm IM3300 after hearing a few of the points.
Ramius
Silent But Deadly

Post by Ramius »

I've used both for years and they each have their points.

Pelican cases are made of denser (read heavier) polymer -- if you are going to fly commercial the airline weight allowance will reduce the amount of gear you can carry.

Storm cases feel "lighter" and probably are not as strong as pelicans in appearance. I haven't seen any evidance that they do not protect well.

Storm cases in general are slightly smaller than pelican cases . . . so the stuff you want to protect is going to decide what case you get, JMHO.