:idea: ******************Deleted************** :idea:

Random gun talk.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

CanNotHear
Silent But Deadly

Post by CanNotHear »

Last edited by CanNotHear on Sun May 24, 2009 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Omega_556
Silent But Deadly

Post by Omega_556 »

CProducts mags in my experience are unreliable, you should do some research on them.
CanNotHear
Silent But Deadly

Post by CanNotHear »

Last edited by CanNotHear on Sun May 24, 2009 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nwcid
Silent But Deadly

Post by nwcid »

The better question is do you have a case of ammo to load all your mags?

Better yet do you have a couple spare cases of ammo to reload the mags you have?

I would rather have 5 mags and 5 cases of ammo then 50 mags and 500 rds of ammo. Empty mags have no function.

Just a thought.
Omega_556
Silent But Deadly

Post by Omega_556 »

CanNotHear wrote:I have and they supposedly function just aswell if not better than USGI.
Then your search skills are weak...

Maybe Rob_S will come along give an in depth explanation...

I have personal experience with them and half mine the followers would hang up mid-body and cause a stoppage. I sent back the ones that malfunctioned and they exchanged them, half the new ones did the same thing. My personal opinion is they suck.

Two shooting buddies of mine have used them, they had problems with stoppages and they sent them back because they thought they sucked.

I have Colt, Labelle, DH, Okay, Brownell's, and Centerline USGI mags they have never given me any problems. Again CProducts mags suck.

Guys like Pat Rogers who see more rounds go down range in a week, then many of us send down range in a year, and they say they suck.

Sorry to popo on a large portion of your stockpile, but you asked how well prepared you are and I think not well. Unload what you have on Gunbroker, and replace them with Brownell's mags that are USGI.
Selectedmarksman
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by Selectedmarksman »

Thanks for the heads up, Omega. I recently purchased 6 CProducts SS mags from Midway and put them all in my safe still in-wrapper as an 'investment'. I guess I'll have to bust the seals and test them out. Hell, if another ban on magazine capacity comes out people will be paying double for even crappy, used mags. I'd rather know what I have works than worry about 'New in wrapper' condition.
I've got Honey Badger Fever.
*Add this to your sig if you've got the fever, too!
rob_s
Silent But Deadly

Post by rob_s »

I'm not even remotely a fan of CP. I have had problems with at least 50% of everything I buy from them, and even more trouble with the owner of the company trying to get these issues resolved. I've purchased aluminum 5.56 mags, stainless 5.56 mags, 9mm AR mags, and now some 6.8 mags (which I haven't tested yet). After chasing around after the owner for a couple of weeks I finally got ahold of him and sent the 9mm mags back in. Which he then lost. and then started dodging my calls. I thought it was pretty telling when I called up and said "I'm the guy with the problem with the 9mm mags" to which he replied "which one, we get a lot of those". Dumbass.

Here's the thing. If even 1/10 of the stories about CP are true, they're not worth the time to deal with. It's not like their magazines are 1/2 the price, they're comparable in price to known performers like the D&H from Bravo Company. So why would you even want to deal with the potential for problems when you can buy a known good magazine?
WWW.TACTICALYELLOWVISOR.NET
poizzin
Silent But Deadly

Post by poizzin »

It really depends on how many Ar15's you have. I don't feel that I have enough mags currently, this will give me 4 mags per weapon

10- USGI 20rd
20- C-products 30rd
20- P-mags 30rd
2- Beta 100rd
6- 9mm 20rd
Supressors
AAC - 7
Degroat - 2
AWC - 1
Don Floyd - 1
Tros- 1
HCA- 1
gotgraham
Senior Silent Operator

Post by gotgraham »

26 - pmags 30 rnds
16 - usgi 30 rnd mags
rob_s
Silent But Deadly

Post by rob_s »

I guess I should add that the only magazines I feel confident "stockpiling" based on my own experience are:
Bravo Company both with and without Magpul followers
Brownells
Magpul Pmags

I cautiously recommend Lancers and Tango Downs, with virtually no experience with either.

I completely dissuade anyone from buying anything from CProducts.
pneumagger
Silent But Deadly

Post by pneumagger »

I have 5-6 various metal mags. All function well. I also have 10 Pmags.
I only have 1 AR15, so this gives me about 15 mags I can load up.

The metals mags and 2 pmags get used at the range and the other 8 mags remain in the plastic.
The Pmags are very robust, so I'm not worried about breaking or wearing them out.
I probably shot less than a case througn my AR last yar because of ammo prices and lack of decent outdoor range.

If I had more money to spend on mags, I'd probably get 10 Stainless 30rnd mags and be completely satisfied.
I reject your truths and substitute my own realities
eazenutz33
Silent But Deadly

Post by eazenutz33 »

only have 2 AR's......and only plans for 2 AR's, some spare parts, couple tools, and a case.

AR-16"
-single point sling
-EOTech
-M4-2K flash hider mount (on the way)

AR-24" (in mid-build....1in8 stainless bull barrel)
-no sling...sniper bag
-looking at Super Sniper 14x or 20x scope
-M4-2K muzzle brake mount (when available again)
-Harris bipod

Mags.....
-MWG 90 rounder snail drum....hasn't failed once in my S&W MP15
-6 Magpul P-Mags
-6 Cammenga EZ-Mags
-2 10 round mags

90 rounder stays on the 16" AR, the rest of the mags FILL my SHTF assault rifle bag with the 24" AR. Have a black backpack that neatly fits 1200 rounds of 55 and 62gr PRVI in sealed 200 round bags in the main area and the front pouch fits 2-300 rds. of 69gr match PRVI.

Having a ton of mags is always nice, but I keep my nicer mags without using them. I typically target practice only with 10 round mags or the 90 round drum. In a SHTF situation the 90 rounder gets shot thru, then put on the back burner while regular mags are used and reloaded.
I got a silencer for my wife.......I think it was a good trade!
J Krammes
Silent But Deadly

Post by J Krammes »

26 Brownells 30 rnd
12 Pmag 30 rnd
2 Brownells 20 rnd

Enough ammo that I am not worried that I can't find any right now.

I'm thinking about picking up a Beta Cmag. I have herd alot of mixed things about them. Those of you that have them, what do you think? Worth it, or are they more to impress friends?

Jeremy
Some of my work. www.jkknives.com
studly do-right
Senior Silent Operator

Post by studly do-right »

Clearly, some of you guys just need belt-fed conversions. That would be way more impressive to your friends :roll:

If you're really worried about having enough good mags, just buy a box of a hundred USGI (any brand is fine). You don't even need the Magpul followers (but if it makes your peep hard then go for it). You won't find a more reliable magazine. The only other mag I use is the Pmag because it's more durable.
Do not expose to excessive heat, vacuum, blunt trauma, immersion in liquids, disintegration, reintegration, hypersleep, humiliation, sorrow, or harsh language?
studly do-right
Senior Silent Operator

Post by studly do-right »

Oh, and it doesn't matter how many you have for each AR. The chances are you'll only be using one at a time in combat.
Do not expose to excessive heat, vacuum, blunt trauma, immersion in liquids, disintegration, reintegration, hypersleep, humiliation, sorrow, or harsh language?
poizzin
Silent But Deadly

Post by poizzin »

studly do-right wrote:Oh, and it doesn't matter how many you have for each AR. The chances are you'll only be using one at a time in combat.
Yea, but in a gunfight do you want to stop and reload each time? I sure as hell don't.
I completely dissuade anyone from buying anything from CProducts.
I personally have never had a problem with the ones I have"c-products". But they are only Range mags used for practice and they only cost $11.00
Last edited by poizzin on Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Supressors
AAC - 7
Degroat - 2
AWC - 1
Don Floyd - 1
Tros- 1
HCA- 1
rob_s
Silent But Deadly

Post by rob_s »

The issue is not how many you can load up and carry on your person at one time, but thanks for playing.

This issue is one of longevity. Magazines are a wear item and as such are disposable. How long the life span of these wear items is will depend on a lot of factors from the type of shooting you do to how abusive you are towards them to how many times they hit the deck and the material of said deck.

Setting aside any projection on future legalities, it just makes good sense to have at least twice your rotation in storage. If you typically keep 10 magazines in rotation you should have at least another 10 in reserve at home. That way if you lose your range bag, get in a catestrophic car accident, or otherwise lose the entire batch of magazines you can replace them as soon as you get home. As they wear and fail they can be replaced in ones and twos from the stockpile, and new magazines can be ordered to replenish the pile.

If, however, you believe that impending legislation may limit your ability to buy new magazines in the future,knowing when you "have enough" is a difficult thing to predict. If you currently s--t-can 5 magazines a year, how long do you project that for? If you're 30 and expect to shoot until your 60, that's 150 magazines you expect to go through.
st33ve0
Silent But Deadly

Post by st33ve0 »

I only have PMAGs and D&H mags and I love both. They're still not too expensive if you know where to look.
eazenutz33
Silent But Deadly

Post by eazenutz33 »

rob_s.......good point. And kinda why I dont use my P-Mags or EZ-Mags. I only use the 10 rounders, which even after legislation I should be able to get. I also use the 90 rounder, and in reality, in a SHTF scenario, it not all that practical being made of plastic.

I'm not done collecting mags, but for right now I'm "ok" and will gather more P-mags as money comes along. Up until recently I had been buying one P-Mag or one EZ-Mag whenever money would allow....but silencers and other guns are taking precedence right now.
Crosshair
Silent But Deadly

Post by Crosshair »

This issue is one of longevity. Magazines are a wear item and as such are disposable.
Would this be a bad time to bring up AK magazines? :lol:
J Krammes
Silent But Deadly

Post by J Krammes »

Crosshair wrote:
This issue is one of longevity. Magazines are a wear item and as such are disposable.

I have 15... :D

Jeremy
Some of my work. www.jkknives.com
eazenutz33
Silent But Deadly

Post by eazenutz33 »

J Krammes wrote:
Crosshair wrote:

Jeremy
I only have 8 :-(
I dont shoot my AK hardly at all anymore....I like it better on the wall with a can full of ammo than shooting it in the field. Great rifle, just not as fun to shoot.
CanNotHear
Silent But Deadly

Post by CanNotHear »

Last edited by CanNotHear on Sun May 24, 2009 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CanNotHear
Silent But Deadly

Post by CanNotHear »

Last edited by CanNotHear on Sun May 24, 2009 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
poizzin
Silent But Deadly

Post by poizzin »

J Krammes wrote:
Crosshair wrote:

Jeremy
I am good to go - Bout a 100 ak mags-
Supressors
AAC - 7
Degroat - 2
AWC - 1
Don Floyd - 1
Tros- 1
HCA- 1