Why I hate the range this time of year

Random gun talk.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

silencertalk
Site Admin

Why I hate the range this time of year

Post by silencertalk »

This time of the year the range is full of people who I have never seen before, except this time last year. They are there with some cheap-ass rifle with wooden stock, and some strange cartridge like .270 or .280. They consider Tasco a premium scope but generally do not splurge and get something more basic. Their scope rings came blister-packed from Walmart, and their spotting scope is one of those grey plastic tubes with plastic lenses. They take enough shots to get their rifle on paper for deer-season, and that is it. What I really hate is how loud their rifles are. To think that these guys mostly shoot them with NO hearing protection.
HandyMan
Silent But Deadly

Post by HandyMan »

I generally shoot rifles up at Knob Creek. It is cool to watch a Fudd sight in right next to a guy doing mag dumps out of an Uzi, or Mac-10.
delbert
Silent But Deadly

Post by delbert »

2 thoughts come to mind:

1) They will probably make up 3/4 of a militia should we ever need one.

2) Their " I only need a gun to hunt" and "Nobody needs a black rifle anyway" mentality will be the reason we need the militia in the first place.
Paranoia
Silent But Deadly

Post by Paranoia »

Their " I only need a gun to hunt" and "Nobody needs a black rifle anyway" mentality will be the reason we need the militia in the first place.

I hunt .......................................with evil black rifles :D

Only idiots sight in their rifles without hearing protection. Hunting without hearing protection is kind of mandatory for me unless I'm at a dove shoot with tons of action.
[cerberus]
Silent But Deadly

Post by [cerberus] »

man I am glad mine is lamenated with a simmons scope, leupold rings and base, and I shoot it all the time.
45cal4life
Senior Silent Operator

Post by 45cal4life »

My dealings with them has been, they take one or two shots then want to walk down to the target, discuss the shots then slowly walk back and repeat the process until they can hit a paper plate twice in a row at 100 yards. And they don't all shoot at the same time so your having to stop every five minutes and wait 15 mintues before they get behind the line. I've even offered my spotting scope to some and they reply, no thanks, I'd rather see the target :shock: WTF.....Now I just ignore them and shoot my normal round count. But yet, I'm the A-hole at the range because I don't need to walk down to the target to see the hits.
cyclone72
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by cyclone72 »

jeez, you guys got it made, along with the $15,000 Appalachicola gun range improvements are about 5000 bulletholes from deranged stupid fucking rednecks and about 200 bulletholes in the new restroom put up for our convenience.

"HEY DUMB REDNECKS IN THE NW FL AREA TAKE YOUR DICKS OUT OF YOUR SISTERS ASS LONG ENOUGH TO READ THE NO DUMBASS REDNECKS ALLOWED,AT ANY TIME SIGNS AT THE GUN RANGE"

AND SINCE MOST OF YOU(D.A.R.) ARE INCOMPETENT HERES SOME DETERENCE

1.NO EATING ROAD KILL FOR LUNCH AT RANGE
2.BANGING YOUR SISTERS OR BROTHERS HOLE IS NOT ALLOWED AT THE GUN RANGE
3.NO WOOD GRAIN ALCOHOL DRINKING ALLOWED AT GUN RANGE
Paranoia
Silent But Deadly

Post by Paranoia »

My gun range time is limited I've only been to a public range about 10 times. I usually shoot on private land.
Wiley
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wiley »

Come on yall dont be hatin.

top to bottom

Remington 700 SS 30-06
Remington 700 classic .280
Browning BAR .270
Remington 700 ADL 25-06

With out one of them fudd types, I might not have my love for firearms or my passionate right wimg views. He gave me the ADL when I was 7 but it took me a wile to shoot it.

But My dad and his buddies have a range set up on there hunting land so they dont bother any one. And no walmart stuff here.

Also special thanks to my assistant in todays photo shoot!

Wiley
Always cheat, always win. The only unfair fight is the one you lose.
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

What mystifies me is that I often see them shoot $30 boxes of factory ammo but their spotting scope is not worth $10.
Wiley
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wiley »

Well you know some people are just stupid.

Wiley
Always cheat, always win. The only unfair fight is the one you lose.
bp_968
Silent But Deadly

Re: Why I hate the range this time of year

Post by bp_968 »

rsilvers wrote:This time of the year the range is full of people who I have never seen before, except this time last year. They are there with some cheap-ass rifle with wooden stock, and some strange cartridge like .270 or .280. They consider Tasco a premium scope but generally do not splurge and get something more basic. Their scope rings came blister-packed from Walmart, and their spotting scope is one of those grey plastic tubes with plastic lenses. They take enough shots to get their rifle on paper for deer-season, and that is it. What I really hate is how loud their rifles are. To think that these guys mostly shoot them with NO hearing protection.

Your telling me you don't have your own private range? <shock>
-----------------------------

This space for rent.
[cerberus]
Silent But Deadly

Re: Why I hate the range this time of year

Post by [cerberus] »

bp_968 wrote:

Your telling me you don't have your own private range? <shock>
I built my own 200yrd range in my backyard, it is the only range over 100yrds within an hour or more of me that i know of.
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

My wife would never let me shoot lead into the ground where we lived even if we had enough land.
Blaster7Romeo
Silent But Deadly

Post by Blaster7Romeo »

Well let me speak up for all Redneck hunters Because I am one.... we are not ALL that stupid and cheap.. But as you all know there are stupid people in ALL groups. Or it may just be Robert’s northern Rednecks are stupider than us southern Rednecks. And some of those guys are not going to put that much money in a gun they will never fire more than 3 or 4 rounds in in a year after they get it zeroed. But I do know the type people you are talking about and they do give hunters a bad name.

And as for the .270 it is a good dear round, flat shooting and lighter recoil than most.
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

I never thought of 270 as light recoil!

To me a 260 is what you get for light recoil.

Though I will say I am pretty confused why people get 270/280 at all. Why not just use 308?
Blaster7Romeo
Silent But Deadly

Post by Blaster7Romeo »

rsilvers wrote:I never thought of 270 as light recoil!

Though I will say I am pretty confused why people get 270/280 at all. Why not just use 308?
Well it is all what it is compared to.... 300 win mag, 338 win mag. 7mm Rem mag, then yes...

And I am with you on just getting a .308 or .30/06 for dear, but people do hunt things bigger than deer. But some guys just want a faster lighter bullet. Now there are so many diffrent cartreges the ammo makers have out there... It is insane..
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

30-06 is the most popular seller I have read.

You can probably match it with a hot .308 load. Then again, you can make a hot .30-06 load and beat it again.

.30-06 needs a long action. I would just stick to 308. Of couse I know nothing about huntin'

I once decided to build a light hunting rifle and got a Remington Titanium .260. I wish I did not buy it. It does not really offer anything over my Steyr Scout except another type of ammo to buy.

I am on a kick to consolidate cartridges, and wish I did not buy stuff like 357 Sig.
Rob
Elite Member

Post by Rob »

I'm not so quick to criticize everyone that sights in a rifle once a year and does not spend a ton of money on high end equipment. To most hunters, guns are tools. Some accessories such as spotting scopes may be seen as frivilous (not that I am taking sides). I know many such shooters. They kill whatever they are hunting just as easily with their 50 year old 30.30 or .270 as with the most modern of WSSM calibers with Zeiss glass on top. They do not care to shoot recreationally beyond the occasional afternoon with a .22lr that their dad gave them thirty years back.

The best thing for these people is not to deride their practices but to introduce them to other things. I am quick to educate and share when I encounter this type out at the range.

None of this applies to the type of "person" that would bring alcohol to the range or ventilate the lav.

Rob
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

If a gun is a 'tool' than you are suggesting that hunting is a practical way to get food. That is clearly not true as buying meat at the supermarket is umteen times less expensive. Hunting is an enjoyable pastime if anything. Yes a racecar can be a tool to win races, but it can also be a source of pride for the driver and builder and I prefer to think of either as both a tool to get a job done and a source of enjoyment in itself.
Rob
Elite Member

Post by Rob »

I understand what you are saying but the hunters that I know enjoy the act of hunting and the social aspects of it rather than the gear that is involved. They may go the entire year without touching their rifle or shotgun after the hunting season is over. That's just how they choose to do things. The firearm is just a part of hunting to them. I don't really have a problem with it. I grew up around that sort of mentality. My dad introduced me to firearms when I was too small to hold them. He grew up enjoying firearms and shooting and he passed it on to me. Some of the other people around never understood why I spend as much time shooting year round as I did. They had guns for different reasons. One of those different strokes things.
ArevaloSOCOM
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by ArevaloSOCOM »

Not everyone can afford the most expensive weapon platforms.

I shoot with these fudds.

They have always been friendly to me , I just hope they are NRA members.

:wink:
NFAtalk.org
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

It is about making an educated choice. When I made $5.25 an hour I had a Glock 19 and Colt AR15. A used Glock could be had for the price of a new S&W Sigma. Same with rifles. There is an endless supply of used/respectable rifles. You just have to want them and know the difference. It is not really about dollars as much as choices.
Rob
Elite Member

Post by Rob »

I know people with millions that would still not spend the money on high-end firearms. Just a piece of equipment to them, like a hammer or screwdriver. If a Marlin or Savage gets the job done to their satisfaction than why should they spend the money on a Blaser? Some gun users are not nessecarily "gun people", that is not to say that they are anti-gun by any means. They just have a different viewpoint.

Rob
Paranoia
Silent But Deadly

Post by Paranoia »

Hunting is way cheaper unless you're lazy and take it to the slaughter house :oops: .