.308 muzzle-brake help wanted

Random gun talk.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

TROOPER
Silent But Deadly

.308 muzzle-brake help wanted

Post by TROOPER »

In searching for muzzle-brakes for a .308 - and specifically a Kel-Tec RFB - it seems that there are some muzzle-brakes which claim to be "quiet". I realize that this is really saying, "quiet-COMPARED-to-other-muzzle-brakes" as opposed to actually quiet.

Is there any truth to this? Also, if a muzzle-brake is effective, wouldn't it necessarily result in greater noise to the shooter?

Are muzzle-brakes 'worth it' on a .308? Are there other suggestions for different muzzle brakes that can help to tame a semi-auto .308 without busting an ear-drum? Or is this one of those things that is ultimately best left to a silencer?
johndoe3
Silent But Deadly

Post by johndoe3 »

This website has a brake that has holes out the front only. So it would be far quieter than other kinds of brakes. Scroll down halfway and they have pictures of it on rifles.

http://www.remington700rifle.com/

It may be one they make themselves.
You can fool all of the people some of the time, and some of the people all of the time...and those are pretty good odds.
Brett Maverick, gambler on TV (also used by Progressive leaders everywhere)
TROOPER
Silent But Deadly

Post by TROOPER »

I've seen that exact website, and this is actually one of the things that caused me to ask for this. I also wonder if those are... "integral" (for lack of a better word). I do imagine that they are quieter simply because they DO vent to the front. I'd venture to say that it is possible that they are quieter than the same gun with no muzzle brake, simply because the decompression of the gas is not as rapid.

Is there any truth to anything I just stated? Bear in mind that I'm speculating, not asserting.

I also wondered if one of these styles could actually be machined, then sold as a separate part. I also wonder about legal ramifications. If the muzzle brake DOES in fact quiet the shot, then is there a tax-stamp involved?

On a related, but separate note; I wonder if there is any use to these when on calibers such as the .17 Mach IV, or .204 Ruger - cartridges that have exceptionally low recoil, and also not a lot of powder to make use of a muzzle-brake anyway.

Of course, the link that you provided (thank you for that), is about the larger .30 caliber bullets that WILL see a benefit in their use, so I'm not referring to that in particular.

All of these questions are centered around the Kel Tec RFB, a rifle that - while it can be bipoded - is more likely to be fired from shoulder. So two issues arise - one being the need to cut recoil from a shoulder-fired cannon, and the other arising from the fact that the muzzle on an RFB is so much closer to a shooter's face. The extra noise from a muzzle brake could push an already loud, and close muzzle to the point of prohibitive to shooting.

The more I think about it, the more this looks like a "must suppress" candidate. Of course, I'm also thinking specifically about the mid-length barrel RFB at 24" (not yet available), so this may not matter as much anyway.

Again, any thoughts, comments, ideas - all are welcome and wanted.
Braidon
Silent But Deadly

Post by Braidon »

I think they are not suppressing the sound but if they do anything with sound they are changing its direction forward.
pdemos
Elite Member

Post by pdemos »

I think first off you have to ask yourself why you want a muzzle brake, I'm sure this one is not a very good brake. If your looking for silence you should of course get a silencer, if you are in need of a brake you get the best one they have not the quietest. Now for hunting I have used a Vase noise reduction brake, just for the fact I seldom wear ear plugs when I'm hunting. But it is still loud and should have some kind hearing protect to bench shoot with.
TROOPER
Silent But Deadly

Post by TROOPER »

pdemos wrote:I think first off you have to ask yourself why you want a muzzle brake.
The firearm host in question is the Kel Tec RFB, it chambers a .308, and because it is a bullpup, it is basically meant to be shoulder fired as opposed to bench (though there isn't any reason why you can't bench it). Unfortunately, because it is a bullpup, its muzzle is much closer to the shooter's ear.

Its powerful cartridge chambering plus the fact that it is meant to be shoulder-fired is what makes me want a muzzle-brake for it.

On the down side, the fact that it is a bullpup is what makes me concerned about the additional noise associated with a muzzle-brake.

Because of this, I'm looking for a muzzle brake that - almost in direct contradiction to reality - won't be unbearably loud. Now I realize that this same feat can be accomplished much, much better with a silencer. However, I like the appearance of the rifle without a silencer for one, for two, there is a substantially different cost associated with a muzzle-brake versus a silencer - especially a quality .308 silencer. By the same token, a quality muzzle-brake is ... ~$100? Maybe a bit more, maybe a bit less. And last, one of the benefits of a muzzle-brake is that it enables the rifle to maintain its extraodinarily compact dimensions.

It is for this reason that I'm exploring the muzzle-brake side. I'm willing to concede that a silencer is ultimately the better route given the parameters. However, I'm still hoping to find the right muzzle-brake that will reign-in a significant amount of the recoil, and hopefully, without adding an unbearable amount of noise to an already boisterous cartridge.

Again - I'm not necessarily looking, or even hoping to reduce sound signature with a muzzle-brake, but I am hoping to find something to cut recoild without adding too much noise. It could be a pipe-dream; but I'm still looking for it, or something like it.
pdemos
Elite Member

Post by pdemos »

TROOPER wrote:
pdemos wrote:I think first off you have to ask yourself why you want a muzzle brake.
The firearm host in question is the Kel Tec RFB, it chambers a .308, and because it is a bullpup, it is basically meant to be shoulder fired as opposed to bench (though there isn't any reason why you can't bench it). Unfortunately, because it is a bullpup, its muzzle is much closer to the shooter's ear.

Its powerful cartridge chambering plus the fact that it is meant to be shoulder-fired is what makes me want a muzzle-brake for it.

On the down side, the fact that it is a bullpup is what makes me concerned about the additional noise associated with a muzzle-brake.

Because of this, I'm looking for a muzzle brake that - almost in direct contradiction to reality - won't be unbearably loud. Now I realize that this same feat can be accomplished much, much better with a silencer. However, I like the appearance of the rifle without a silencer for one, for two, there is a substantially different cost associated with a muzzle-brake versus a silencer - especially a quality .308 silencer. By the same token, a quality muzzle-brake is ... ~$100? Maybe a bit more, maybe a bit less. And last, one of the benefits of a muzzle-brake is that it enables the rifle to maintain its extraodinarily compact dimensions.

It is for this reason that I'm exploring the muzzle-brake side. I'm willing to concede that a silencer is ultimately the better route given the parameters. However, I'm still hoping to find the right muzzle-brake that will reign-in a significant amount of the recoil, and hopefully, without adding an unbearable amount of noise to an already boisterous cartridge.

Again - I'm not necessarily looking, or even hoping to reduce sound signature with a muzzle-brake, but I am hoping to find something to cut recoild without adding too much noise. It could be a pipe-dream; but I'm still looking for it, or something like it.
Check out the Vias noise reduction muzzle brakes as I stated earlier, it might work well for your situation.
Last edited by pdemos on Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
goteron
Silent But Deadly

Post by goteron »

I use a POF 2 chamber Brake on my AR-10. I have had good results with it. Reduces muzzle climb and recoil substantially, unfortunately I do not have a lot of experience with other brakes to make a comparison. Just get the SuperTap when it comes out!
jreinke
Silent But Deadly

Post by jreinke »

Here's the patent for a gunsmith down in Louisiana making a "quiet" muzzle brake. It's basically a KDF style muzzle brake with the first set of holes pointing forward to push the sound waves away from the shooter. If it works, his brake should sound no louder than a rifle without a brake.

http://www.google.com/patents/about?id= ... dq=4869151
[url=http://militarysignatures.com][img]http://militarysignatures.com/signatures/member1236.png[/img][/url]
McLarenross
Silent But Deadly

Post by McLarenross »

Cant say I noticed a difference in how loud my 308 was with the 26" barrel and no brake versus the 20" with brake. Could be the ear plugs though. What I did notice is the pressure wave that the brake blows back over you. The first time out with it I kept flinching cause of it hitting my eyes. Gun is a dream to shoot though. It only moves 2 inches or so if I shoot it free recoil.
There are no "ex-Marines", just Marines who arent active anymore.
pdemos
Elite Member

Post by pdemos »

Hey TROOPER here's a little info on the Vias muzzle brake, yeah I know I missed spelled it the first time, opp's. :^)

http://www.muzzlebrakes.com/Default.aspx

http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve ... /803107706
GlockandRoll
Silent But Deadly

Re: .308 muzzle-brake help wanted

Post by GlockandRoll »

I've got a YHM 7.62 QD mount on my DPMS and when the supressor's not on it I find it to be a very nice brake.
If you are looking for JUST a brake, I think the Jerry Miculek comp is hard to beat for price/performance/aesthetics.

Hush
Silent But Deadly

Re:

Post by Hush »

Braidon wrote:I think they are not suppressing the sound but if they do anything with sound they are changing its direction forward.
This.
Demand stringent background and mental health checks on your politicians.