Leaving Guns in your car

Random gun talk.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

goteron
Silent But Deadly

Leaving Guns in your car

Post by goteron »

I would like to keep an AR and handgun in my car all the time. They will be kept out of sight in inconspicuous areas and locked up. However I have read that many people are agaisnt this. I would just like to have a few guns with my BOB in the car. I will probably never use them, but would feel better having them. Does anyone here keep guns in their car all the time. I dont want to take it with me everyime I am at home. I drive a car that isnt high on the "to steal" list. I dont leave any valuables (nothing) out in plain sight, and the box that houses the guns its a drawer in the back of the SUV that looks like its part of the car.

Any thoughts?
ick
Silent But Deadly

Post by ick »

1. Obtain a concealed carry permit. In my state if you DON'T have a CCW the pistol needs to be unloaded and sitting in the open on the seat with the ammo in a separate locked container with neither easily accessible to the occupants......or something like that. A CCW allows you to store it in the gove box, center console, or perhaps a hidden container in the back.

Pistol on the seat = invitation for theft... plus if you have an accident you now have a 3 pound projectile in your car.

2. Rifles are tricky, here in Pennsylvania I think the "hunting rifle" rules apply. As I recall they require them to be in a case unloaded with ammo separate. Check your state. Of course there are pickup gun rack rules too, not sure about those.
-----
Ick
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

I think an AR is too nice to leave in a car. I would say an AK but even those are expensive now.

Maybe a worn lever action or shotgun?
DCloudy777
Silent But Deadly

Post by DCloudy777 »

I keep guns in the car that it wouldn't kill me to lose. Mostly ratty old beat-to-s--t versions of halfway decent guns. I'm fortunate in that my ride has a ton of "hidey holes" that would more than likely be overlooked by the casual observer.

Glovebox: S&W 5903... nice gun, but for whatever reason they aren't worth jack on the market... sat in my store with a ridiculously low price for 2 years, finally "promoted" it to the glovebox. It's a gun small enough to conceal if I needed, but still holds a bunch of rounds. It can also use the 20-rd mags kept for...

Hidey Hole A: Kel-Tec Sub2000... neat little gun, folds into a tiny package. Had the barrel threaded (pain in the ass, not recommended), so it can be suppressed if needed. Mainly kept in the car just because it takes up so little space.

Hidey Hole B: Kel-Tec SU-16C (I actually want the B model if anyone wants to swap) Another shop refugee, it was abandoned by its owner who brought it in for repair... beat all to hell, but works well, used AR mags, and shoots MOZ (minute of zombie) out to 200M.

Under the spare tire: S&W Sigma 40, heavily oiled and sealed in a zip-loc bag. The ultimate all-hell-hath-broken loose gun... I've also used the gun in this position as currency a time or two... :wink:

DanO
ick
Silent But Deadly

Post by ick »

If you have a CCW, is the general rule that you can have multiple pistols hidden? I would assume so, but I know assuming is dangerous.

Also, when someone borrows my vehicle I remove all firearms. I naturally assume they have no permit.

This can be a problem if, say, your wife doesn't have a CCW and she borrows the car you normally drive.... to go to the grocery store.... and she gets stopped for, say, speeding.
-----
Ick
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

Each state is different.
DoctorSolo
Silent But Deadly

Post by DoctorSolo »

rsilvers wrote:Each state is different.
Very True. As far as I understand, you do NOT need a permit to conceal a loaded handgun in a car here in Colorado(I don't consider the Denver bubble Colorado) .

A loaded rifle is another story. Generally loaded rifle in car= poaching...

Weird, eh?

I would advise bolting a small, easily opened yet-secure gun safe/locker into the console or door if this will be done habitually. Cars get broken into a LOT...
PTK
Silent But Deadly

Post by PTK »

Maybe I'm weird, but I leave a gun that I like, can use quickly/accurately, is relatively small and powerful, etc., in the car.

I keep my PS90 in the car. It's insured, if someone steals it the law will come down on them HARD.
goteron
Silent But Deadly

Post by goteron »

I am going to keep a pistol in the glovebox, locked. I am also going to keep an AR in the box in the back. I think the chance of it being stolen is very small. Most likely not in my driveway, at work, or 90% of the places I go. I leave errything out of sight, and nothing on or in my car says "steal me". There is always the chance, but small. I may just do a sub-2000 or something similar, but I would really like an AR. Thanks for the advice. Will double check laws.
Hellrazor
Silent But Deadly

Post by Hellrazor »

I'm not sure I'd leave an AR in the car. I've had 4 firearms stolen out of my truck/cars over the past 10 years or so. Leave some POS you don't care about. I've finally started sucking-it-up about a year ago and carry one in and out with me now... over and over and over.
goteron
Silent But Deadly

Post by goteron »

What were the circumstances? I've never had my car broken into in the 8 or so years I have had one. In new York, Orlando, Springfield, OH. Guess I am due though.
Hellrazor
Silent But Deadly

Post by Hellrazor »

All at my house, 2 different locations. F'ing crack-heads. They took like $2 in change from the console one time, some cologne another, a calculator. They got the whole neighborhood each time, wasn't me specifically... but they hit jackpot with firearms from my ride... a few GPSs from a guy up the street.
goteron
Silent But Deadly

Post by goteron »

I dont have a problem like that where I live or work. So the only opportunities would be at a store, left it somewhere. If I was going somewhere shady I would most likely remove them, but otherwise I would like to have them available.
Hermit
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Hermit »

ick wrote:If you have a CCW, is the general rule that you can have multiple pistols hidden? I would assume so, but I know assuming is dangerous.
Take NM for instance, A licensee will only be allowed to carry one concealed handgun on their person at a time.

States vary on the wording on their permits and I feel that can really come into play, when it is to their advantage of course.

My Maine res is "permit to carry concealed firearms"
My non res NH is "pistol revolver license"
My non res CT is "permit to carry pistols or revolvers"

Only Maine actually uses both the word concealed and "firearms" NH and CT do not have the word firearm or even concealed on the permit at all. I am not going to assume it is "inferred" with the courts and snake oil lawyers out there today. Hermit
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb."
David Hineline
Silent But Deadly

Post by David Hineline »

A decent not "factory horn beep alarm is a good idea", your car is as secure as your house. My first choice would be the gun on the hip. If you care about your unattended guns there are locking cases made that connect to the seat frames with a steel cable to help deter a quick theft. Can put the same type of thing on the AR, but the more you lock them up the harder it is for you to get to them also.

A determined criminal is going to be able to unlock your car in about 15 seconds, a punk can pop a window in 5 and be in.

It's a risk anytime you go out with a gun, but it's a risk to go out without a gun. The stolen stuff can be replaced, the valuable items your guns protect can not.
NFA shooters blow their load with only one pull of the trigger.
goteron
Silent But Deadly

Post by goteron »

David,

I agree with that as well. I always CCW (except at work), but I wanted something more substantial. I understand the theft risk and am willing to accept it at this point. I am going to put a mid-level AR and some other stuff, but it will always be out of sight and locked in a box. Just a risk to take.

I checked the Louisiana state laws. CCW is not required if concealed in the car, and everything else is perfectly legal. Going to build my box this week and hopefully pick up a truck gun.
smcharchan
Silent But Deadly

Post by smcharchan »

David Hineline wrote:It's a risk anytime you go out with a gun, but it's a risk to go out without a gun. The stolen stuff can be replaced, the valuable items your guns protect can not.
Looking at this using risk is a great way to justify having weapons in your vehicle.

The military uses two components in its risk matrix: probability and severity.

Assume that there is a remote probability that you will need your gun, or that your gun will be stolen. The other factor is severity, and the severity of needing your gun and not having it is far greater than the severity of your gun being stolen from your vehicle. Therefore there is greater risk associated with not having a gun in your vehicle than there is with having one.
cdmillig
The Slippery One

Post by cdmillig »

rsilvers wrote:I think an AR is too nice to leave in a car. I would say an AK but even those are expensive now.

Maybe a worn lever action or shotgun?
yeah i was thinking, wouldn't you rather have a shotgun w/slugs or buckshot?
Be kind to others and stay ready
BWT
Silent But Deadly

Post by BWT »

I'm looking for a cheap 1911 to leave in the car, just to keep a similar grip angle as the one that I carry.

I was eyeing some older colts, and then saw the prices, Yeah. So that's not happening.

But I'd like to leave something in my car, also as carrying concealed, I carry in the small of my back, it's going to be hard to get to that in time to do something, seated and buckled in.

I'd like to get a Series 70 5'' 1911, for about 400-500$, ideally with night sights, and a Flat MSH, loaded with a Chip McCormick 10 rounder.

I'm considering an XD-45 as it's similar grip, controls, but carries 13 rounds in the magazine, they can be had at that price.

I also want to get an AR and .22 Suppressor, so, that's a bit down the list. I'd also like to get a pocket pistol as well, for a BUG, but... God Kel-Tec's are ugly, and new Kel Tec 9mm is too big for pockets, IMHO.

My brother keeps a shotgun in the trunk of his car, I'd consider it, but I also figure a gun in the dash is going to serve you better. You probably won't have time to get to your trunk... plus unlocking it or any kind of cabling, I'd say you need to be able to access a weapon in 2-3 seconds for it to be feasible when defending your car.

That's a number I came up with, but, you're not going to have time to get to that gun, when you're driving down town and at a red light, or in a car garage parking, etc.

I'd say you could get to that long arm in a time of some kind of urban uprising, but that's extremely unlikely.

ETA: Oh what the hell Charles Daly went out of business... I really wanted one of their full size 1911's...

I might look at an SA Loaded model... might have to just get a XD 45. I thought about a Glock 21, but, the glock grip angle is weird for me, and when I picked one up and fired it recently, I was shooting high, I had to make a pretty conscious effort to aim lower, to make sure I was gripping it correctly.

I would like to spend about $450 for a car gun, I just want to keep with the line of thinking I'm fine with at any moment this gun getting smash and grabbed, to keep the cost down.
joshrunkle35
Silent But Deadly

Re: Leaving Guns in your car

Post by joshrunkle35 »

goteron wrote:I would like to keep an AR and handgun in my car all the time. They will be kept out of sight in inconspicuous areas and locked up. However I have read that many people are agaisnt this. I would just like to have a few guns with my BOB in the car. I will probably never use them, but would feel better having them. Does anyone here keep guns in their car all the time. I dont want to take it with me everyime I am at home. I drive a car that isnt high on the "to steal" list. I dont leave any valuables (nothing) out in plain sight, and the box that houses the guns its a drawer in the back of the SUV that looks like its part of the car.

Any thoughts?
I always keep either a glock or 1911 with 3 spare mags a holster and weapon light in the glove box (depending on the vehicle). I do have a CCW license. You must have a CCW license in Ohio to do this. I keep the glove box locked, and am very careful about letting someone borrow my car. (meaning, I remove the firearm if someone needed to borrow my car)

I do not keep a rifle in my vehicle, but there are new laws in Ohio from 2009 regarding long gun transportation. You must keep the gun stripped or action open, and you cannot have any mags loaded, and you cannot have any ammo on stripper clips. This is something to pay attention to.

There are some questions I have:
1. Do you have a CCW license for Ohio?
2. Are you a law enforcement agent?
3. What does BOB stand for? Persons name? Brittish Shilling? Battery Operated Boyfriend?
So the Libyan Fable is told
That once an eagle, stricken with a dart,
Said, when he saw the fashion of the shaft,
"With our own feathers, not by others' hands,
Are we now smitten."
-Anton Myrer, Once an Eagle
goteron
Silent But Deadly

Post by goteron »

I don't live in Ohio anymore. Now in louisiana. Not LE or anything like that. BOB stands for bug out bag. I have a non-resident FL CCW permit. Those new Ohio gun laws are terrible. I thought Ohio was gun friendly.
joshrunkle35
Silent But Deadly

Post by joshrunkle35 »

goteron wrote: Those new Ohio gun laws are terrible. I thought Ohio was gun friendly.
It is gun friendly.

Those new laws also included a castle doctrine, and the only bad thing they did was define how you could transport a long gun in your vehicle...All in all, I'd say it was a huge win for Ohioans.

We aren't the best state, for gun laws, but we're in the top ten or fifteen. We have a castle doctrine, we just got concealed carry in '04 and we have no state NFA restrictions. They also got looser on defensive laws, like defining being able to shoot a car-jacker who only wants your car being defined as self-defense, and many other things like that that we didn't have in the past.
So the Libyan Fable is told
That once an eagle, stricken with a dart,
Said, when he saw the fashion of the shaft,
"With our own feathers, not by others' hands,
Are we now smitten."
-Anton Myrer, Once an Eagle
vff
Elite Member

Post by vff »

Having a firearm stored in your vehicle for defensive purposes is attune to having a cop at the doughnut shop … “when seconds count their only minutes away!â€
"pffft..........tink".
NRA Benefactor.
Life mem - LEAOA
Life mem - GOA
Life mem - TFA

[url=http://militarysignatures.com][img]http://militarysignatures.com/signatures/member1271.png[/img][/url]
goteron
Silent But Deadly

Post by goteron »

Getting to a weapon in an unknown situation in 2-3 seconds is unreasonable. If you have ever shot on a tuner you will know you think you are drawing from concealment fast, but in reality it it's longer than you think. Getting a gun from the glove box is even longer. Time it sometime. I carry everywhere I can, the guns in the car are not a primary defense. But I would hate to be 2-3 hours from home and wish I had a gun, or water, or a lot of other things. That's why I am building this storage box and stocking it with a few items should the need arise. I doubt it ever will, but rather have it than not. I am also going to use a decent AR, I don't want a sub standard weapon when I could really use an AR with a 1-4x scope. So maybe it gets stolen once in 10 years. I replace it and move on. My only concern is now a bad guy has it and might use it in a crime. I take the same (albeit less likely) risk with the guns in my home.

But if you are serious about defending yourself from your car, try timing yourself drawing from concealment in the drivers seat, buckled in, on a timer. And think about what you will do should someone come knocking on your window with bad intentions. I did it the other day and realized it something I need a lot more practice on. Maybe I'm just slow though
silverbulletexpress
Silent But Deadly

Post by silverbulletexpress »

Don't ever ever leave a gun in a glove box.
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks." --Thomas Jefferson, letter to Peter Carr, 1785