Update: Rifle Cam picatinny rail mount - not shot yet

Random gun talk.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

ick
Silent But Deadly

Update: Rifle Cam picatinny rail mount - not shot yet

Post by ick »

Been working on this project. A thread posted here the other day got me thinking about it again and I have an idea of how to do it.

Got most of it accomplished today.

A YHM scope riser mount, the one that is 4 inches.

A 1/4-20x3/4 flat slotted machine screw (The 1/2 inch didn't have the right length for the raw YHM rail).

Two 3/16 x 1-14x 1/16 rubber washers to give a bit of grip.

One of those standard Magpul XT rail covers

Cut the rail covers to preference to give a nice flat surface for the camera to sit on.

I had to drill some of the aluminum away so the machine screw would sit flush and not be in the way of attaching it to a picatinny rail.

The machine screw sits flush.

I sanded it as flat as I could get it. Actually I heated up an old skillet on the stove and put the flat bottom on the top of the plastic rail to melt it flat. That worked well followed by sanding to make it even.

Her is about as good as I could get it. I wish the rail was a bit more "rubbery".

Here is where the washer goes but it needs cut.

Here is the camera mounted.

Here it is mounted on the PS90. See how you can look at the side of the weapon and see "forward"?

I wonder how it will shoot. I will use the suppressor of course.

Here it is on a 22lr:

-----
Ick
mx201er
Silent But Deadly

Re: Update: Rifle Cam picatinny rail mount - not shot yet

Post by mx201er »

now you need to take off the lcd viewer on the camera, lengthen the wire up a little, and attach the screen to a night vision flip down head harness thingy (whatever it is called) and then you can shoot around corners both directions easily without sticking your head out! :D
"If you are mad as hell and aren't going to take it anymore, grab your rifle and head outside.
If you're the only dumbass with a rifle screaming like a maniac, go back inside. It isn't time yet."
renegade
Silent But Deadly

Post by renegade »

DOn't have a pic, but I used a extra arms mount I had laying around.

Now you need to get a ContourHD camera.
CKOD
Silent But Deadly

Post by CKOD »

mx201er wrote:now you need to take off the lcd viewer on the camera, lengthen the wire up a little, and attach the screen to a night vision flip down head harness thingy (whatever it is called) and then you can shoot around corners both directions easily without sticking your head out! :D
This says it has RCA cables for inputs, so if you can get composite out of the camera feed it to these...
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/4 ... ifications
ick
Silent But Deadly

Post by ick »

lol, interesting idea but I would barf all over the place. I am looking for the simplest solution at the moment... so that involves the camera I have.

Cost to date:

$ 0.00 - Camera, already have it ($450 Sony HD with stabilization and other features)

42.00 - A YHM 4" scope riser mount, I probably overpaid for this.

1.00 - A 1/4-20x3/4 flat slotted machine screw (pack) The ½ wasn't the right length.

1.00 - Two 3/16 x 1-14x 1/16 rubber washers to give a bit of grip (Pack).

11.00 - One of those standard Magpul XT rail covers (Probably overpaid for this too)

0.00 - Drill, bit, sander, old pot... already had.
_______
$ 55.00 - Total project cost.
======

In order to get different angles and better shots I could pick up:

More picatinny risers to get the camera up and over optic rails, etc.

Longer rail risers... to get more distance between shooter and camera... or front of weapon and camera.

Picatinny Dovetail Angle Mounts, I have one, could get several to get not only 45º but also 90º and 135º angle..

I had an idea to make this on a swivel... but after working with it I think it is more important to have this very firm and secure. When you start to add "flippability" you invariably end up with a less secure camera that bounces.

Doesn't look like I am going to get to shoot today... so I put it on my SCAR and ran some tests to see how it feels and looks.

Video:
Click for camera on shooter.

Click for forward shot... camera focus doesn't work well with quick movement
-----
Ick
fstbk65
Silent But Deadly

Post by fstbk65 »

So how do you plan on aiming it? Looks cool though
mx201er
Silent But Deadly

Post by mx201er »

CKOD wrote:
mx201er wrote:now you need to take off the lcd viewer on the camera, lengthen the wire up a little, and attach the screen to a night vision flip down head harness thingy (whatever it is called) and then you can shoot around corners both directions easily without sticking your head out! :D
This says it has RCA cables for inputs, so if you can get composite out of the camera feed it to these...
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/4 ... ifications

...I like it :twisted:
"If you are mad as hell and aren't going to take it anymore, grab your rifle and head outside.
If you're the only dumbass with a rifle screaming like a maniac, go back inside. It isn't time yet."