RavenArmament
Silent But Deadly

Re: What guns do you own, and why?

Post by RavenArmament »

Ruger 10/22
Kimber 10mm
NEF 20ga single shot
Colt 6920

I entertain myself with one more gun than above but those four are my staples. I usually buy one other gun, shoot it for a while, then sell it to get something else. The others remain my 4 gun battery.
Manufacturer of the best subsonic 9mm ammunition.
Fallschirmjaager
Silent But Deadly

Post by Fallschirmjaager »

dtom29 wrote:I look at this completely different than you. I strive for redundancy...

I subscribe to the theory that "one is none two is one".

Exactly. Granted, every gun in my safe has a specific purpose with maybe one or two exceptions, (old C&R rifles exempted, that's just my collection,) but in a pinch if any one of those weapons goes down I could replace it with another and suffer little to no loss of effectiveness.

My RRA A2 is for training. It's what we have at my unit, bare bones, no frills, shitty trigger, and I use it to keep myself current and to help train other soldiers. It is however comfortable enough that if my Noveske N4 went down I could bring the A2 on line. If my LWRC M6A3 SBR went down I could use the N4 in a pinch, and it would be short enough and maneuverable enough for the CQB environment. If my Noveske SPR goes down I've got a PSL that could suffice in a pinch, (hardly comparable weapons, of course, but either is a force multiplier when used in a DM role,) and if all my AR's s--t the bed at once I've got an AK. I have a .22 pistol, carbine and bolt rifle each, for cheap practice with their respective schools of shooting. Each could replace one other in a pinch. I have a deep carry pistol, an EDC pistol, a full size combat handgun, a competition pistol, and a medium frame pistol that I like to use to teach new shooters once they're comfortable with the P-22. Each could replace one or more others in a pinch.

I have a Stevens 12 Gauge Single Barrel Classic that is gonna get F1'd and cut down into something ridiculous because I'm a little kid on the inside, and I have a Vz.61 Skorpion because it's the Klobb. My justification for those is "F--k you I like guns."

Everything else though, I have a very practical use for, and redundancy is intentionally introduced.
I live in the weak and the wounded... Doc...
continuity
Elite Member

Post by continuity »

Visited this thread several times. OP gave me pause relative trying to get my head around exactly why I do have a few 9mm's, twin P220's, several AR, AK variants and assorted other short, medium, and long range, lead throwers.

Came to the conclusion that with the exception of the tool(s) used at work, I just enjoy possessing some neat mechanisms that will pitch stuff at other stuff. Sorta a progression from the time in life when I loved throwing rocks at s--t. Glocks have a different mechanical operating system from Sig's., bolt action rifles work differently from shotguns type thing. Maybe it's part of the innate personality makeup that provided the motivation to pursue a Mech. Engg. degree.

Suppose the same reasoning would work for collecting Lamborghini's, cool mechanisms that they are, but even if my financial situation was at the level that permitted it, think I'd still be more interested in firearms.

Not sure I really have a good answer for the question. Maybe another Bud light will help me with an epiphany. Gonna give that a shot.
What amount of a man is composed of his own collection of experiences... and the conclusions that those experiences have allowed him to "know" for certain as "Truth"? :Ick
Surly
Silent Operator

Post by Surly »

I've got two 9mm subguns and it goes downhill from there. I have no problem with redundancy, neither does my wife. 8)
Artful
Silent But Deadly

Post by Artful »

I often purchase guns on impulse. I usually purchase more common guns (commercial and milsurp) based upon common caliber availability (22 lr, 7.62x25, 9x19, 45 ACP, 30-30, 223, 30-06, 308, 7.62x39, 7.62x54R, 44 mag, 45-70 etc). Sometimes I purchase because of unusual history or ability to use in specific ways (303 SMLE Mk4 #1 or Nagant 7.62x38R suppressed revolver).

I started like most boys of my era with a 22LR bolt action, worked up to a surplus bolt action (mauser 7x57) that was sportorized some over time. Moved up to commercial new purchases and discovered I liked the surplus military more due to history and inexpensive shooting. Now have moved up to guns that can take suppression as being more interesting. I'd have to say that duplication was a phase I went thru (two Marlin lever 44 mags, two Ruger Mini-14 stainless, two Ruger 10/22) - and I went thru a phase of two weapons same caliber (22LR, 9x19, .357 mag, 44 mag, etc) - then went thru a reduction of duplicates to upgrade what I wanted and I would say they are more objects of interest and fun to have friends shoot now with just a few kept for serious purpose - those that have proven themselves most reliable. As Julius Whelen stated firearms are most interesting when accurate, and I would add reliable and quiet.
"Trying to tax yourself into prosperity is like standing in a bucket and trying to pick yourself up by the handle." - Winston Churchill
eazenutz33
Silent But Deadly

Post by eazenutz33 »

I have reduced my "arsenal" a good amount over the last few years, but still have some extra "flare" in the safe that I dont really need or even really use.

Rifles:
4.5" .22 AR SBR (zombies :lol: .....and squirrel hunting and so on)
8" Noveske 300BLK (deer hunting with OSB bullets, plinking with 208gr AMAX handloads)
12.7" LWRCI M6A3 with Aimpoint T1 (Home Defense/SHTF)
16" 556 LaRue OBR with M4s and Bushnell 1-6.5x24 SMRS (3-Gun, SHTF, Coyotes, Prairie Dogs, deer,....)
18" 762 LaRue OBR with 3.5-21x50 Bushnell HDMR with Trmr2 (long range practice, deer, and possibly elk/antelope next year, and Heavy Metal 3-gun)
Savage .22 (threaded) with BSA sweet .22 scope (squirrel hunting, general "check out how quiet this is")
Savage .17hmr (threaded bull barrel) with 4-14x44 .17hmr calibrated scope (prairie dogs)
Draco SBR Ak47 (hehehehe, and SHTF)
Cricket .22 (teaching my kids to shoot)

Shotguns:
Mossberg 500 .410 shotgun (full choke) (rabbit hunting)
Mossberg 590A1 Blackwater 12ga (home defense)
Mossberg 22" JM930 12ga (3-gun)
Benelli SuperNova 24" 12ga plus Nordic parts (Heavy Metal 3-gun)
Benelli SuperVinci 26" 12ga (dove, turkey, quail, rabbits, geese, ducks,......)

Pistols:
Glock 34 (nowhere close to stock) (3-gun)
Glock 17 with TLR-1 and LWD threaded barrel (suppressor host, home defense, SHTF, plinking, deer hunting)
Springfield SA1911-A1 with lots changed (Heavy Metal 3-gun)
FNP 45 Tactical (suppressor host, deer hunting)
ISSC M22SD (suppressor host, plinking)
FN 57 Pistol with EFK Fire Dragon threaded barrel (suppressor host)

Silencers:
AAC M4-2000 -pulls duty on 556 OBR and LWRC
AAC 762SD -resides on 762 OBR
AAC 762SD-N6 -300BLK
SWR TRident9 -9mm duty
SilencerCo FDE Osprey45 -45 duty
AAC Element -22 rifles
SilencerCo SS Sprarrow -22 pistol and 57 pistol

Right now, the FN 57 seems, to me, to be the only gun that doesnt have a set purpose and is just there because I wanted one. I dont feel it is any more lethal than my 9mm or 45, and when debating on capacity the extended Glock mags hold 23 and are a little shorter than the extended 30rd 5.7 mags.

I need to decide if I should pick up another Bushnell SMRS for the 762 OBR for Heavy Metal Optics, or ditch the offset irons that are on there now for conventional iron sights to shoot in regular Heavy Metal division in 3-gun. Otherwise, everthing is pretty well set up. 556 OBR is setup nicely with two optics for Tac Optics and Tac Irons divisions, is scary accurate for hunting and target shooting...just cant go wrong. LWRC will not die...I've tried to kill it! :twisted:
I got a silencer for my wife.......I think it was a good trade!
rogerme
Silent But Deadly

Post by rogerme »

No matter how many I buy it never seems to be enough. There is always something new or different to get. Or even another of something already owned to mod in some way.
"If you carry a gun, people call you paranoid. That's ridiculous. If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid about?"

Clint Smith
MV10
Silent But Deadly

Post by MV10 »

L1A1Rocker wrote:I make it a rule to NEVER sell a firearm that I acquire.
I felt that way until I bought a Taurus PT24/7. HATED that gun.
For some reason I couldn't hit a damned thing with it. I swear the bullets came out sideways.
Modern American political discourse: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpAOwJvTOio
rogerme
Silent But Deadly

Post by rogerme »

MV10 wrote:
L1A1Rocker wrote:I make it a rule to NEVER sell a firearm that I acquire.
I felt that way until I bought a Taurus PT24/7. HATED that gun.
For some reason I couldn't hit a damned thing with it. I swear the bullets came out sideways.

I agree. I do not buy with the intention of selling BUT being a impulse buyer what looks and or sounds good in the shop or out of the want ad's does not always measure up. Those I like I hold on to.
"If you carry a gun, people call you paranoid. That's ridiculous. If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid about?"

Clint Smith
FlaHunter

Post by FlaHunter »

I own 60 + firearms, the reason i have them range from hunting to plinking to fun to shoot...... :)
Last edited by FlaHunter on Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FlaHunter

Post by FlaHunter »

to list a few
30 cal Standard Arms M1
30cal saginaw M1
1979 Colt Sp1(223)
1985 Colt Comp H Bar (223/5.56)
1993 Colt Gov Carbine (223/5.56)
1986 Bushmaster (223/ 5.56)
2009 Armalite (223/5.56)
2012 YHM lower Model 1 Upper (300blk)
Savage model 12 (223/ 5.56)
Ruger Mini 14 (223)stainless
Ruger M77 (270) all weather
303 British Enfield mk4
7.7 Jap ( rework)
winchester mod 70 (243)
winchester mod 70 (243 wssm)
Winchester mod 70 (7mm rem mag)
thompson contender 22/250
mak 90
2-ruger 10-22
1- marlin bolt 22
1-henry Big Boy 44 mag
1-Winchester 30 wcf
1- winchester 30/30

in hand guns i have
2- Sig p226 (9mm)
2- Remington Rand 1911A1 (45)
1- s&w 99 (9mm)
1- P38 (9mm)
1-Sig 230 sl (9mm Kurtz)
1- H&K compact usp ported (45)
2- CZ52 (7.62x25)
1- S&W 686 (357)
1- S&W 19 (357)
1- S&W 10 snub nose
1- Thompson Contender 9" Barrel 30/30
1- Thompson Contender 14 " Barrel 44 mag
1- Thompson Contender 16" Barrel 223
1- colt 44 Anaconda
1- Ruger red hawk 44
1- Ruger Super black hawk 44
1- ruger single six 22lr/22mag

and also a few shotguns and black powder guns to go more indepth i would have too pull out my records....By the way i reload every round i shoot.....
tylermtech
Silent But Deadly

Post by tylermtech »

I've decided that I like buying guns almost as much as I like shooting them. I often times just look for good deals, shoot them a few times, and then try and sell them on gunbroker for something else. I won't sell family firearms, but everything else if fair game.

I have some guns that are special to me, but mostly they are just things, that I can buy or part with as my needs change. for example, i used to shoot a lot of ground squirrels, so i built up my idea of the ultimate rifle for that. I then moved to WY, where the wind made the ground squirrel rifle rather useless. So....i sold it and got a rifle that suits my needs better. If you buy correctly, you don't get hurt too bad doing this and you dont need to remodel you house to fit in more safes.

That said, i usually have around 20 guns. some that get used more than others
TROOPER
Silent But Deadly

Post by TROOPER »

I saw an M1A1, wooden stock, new at a PX today. $1,360 (no tax, no transfer fee). Next to it was an FNAR for $1,080.

I get nostalgia, but those guns aren't equivalent. It makes me sad that someone would purchase that M1A1.
MV10
Silent But Deadly

Post by MV10 »

TROOPER wrote:I saw an M1A1, wooden stock, new at a PX today. $1,360 (no tax, no transfer fee). Next to it was an FNAR for $1,080.

I get nostalgia, but those guns aren't equivalent. It makes me sad that someone would purchase that M1A1.
That's why I like Mosin Nagants. Damned near the same thing, delivered to my door for ~$80 that I can shoot, beat up, change around, loan to friends, and not feel like I'm risking a stack of benjamins in the process.
Modern American political discourse: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpAOwJvTOio
Furyataurus2.0

Post by Furyataurus2.0 »

I'm all about quality and not quantity.

HK USP 9
HK USPC 40/357Sig(barrel swap)
336 30-30
MSAR STG-556
700 5R .308
Soon: YHM Ti 7.62 can

Still deciding if I want an MSAR 300blackout quick change barrel assembly, an HK USP 45, an FN SLP 18" shotgun and a flamethrower :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: .
Be a fountain, not a drain
edarahk

Post by edarahk »

GoJohnnyGo wrote:I have been thinking about selling my P22 since the day I bought it but I just haven't gotten around to it. It's a fine gun I just wish I'd have gotten a Ruger instead.
22/45 Lite
You won't regret it.
Silencerco Sparrow SS / Ruger 10/22
SWR Spectre II / Ruger 22/45 Lite
SWR Specwar / DDM4 v7
CaribouLou45
Silent Operator

Post by CaribouLou45 »

Most used are:

KAC SR-15 - Don't think I need to explain this one
HK45CT LEM - All in one EDC, night stand gun, range gun, and future suppressor host
Remington 870 - Best shotgun IMO. Great for hunting to bad guys

I really want a KAC SR-25 ECC though because although the SR-15 may be better for a zombie invasion or survival, the SR-25 ECC would make one beast of a hunting rifle and would be more fun to shoot IMO. Would also like to get a M&P 340 for an alternative carry
pneumagger
Silent But Deadly

Post by pneumagger »

Rifles:
.308 AR - At nearly 14 lbs with a 20" Freefloat Hbar that consistently groups around 1moa; it's my <800yd "longstick".
5.56mm AR - When finished, this build, will be an "ultralight" CAV15 build. When your other AR is 14 LBS, it's time for a light AR
WASR AK - Reliable, inexpensive, and packs a punch. The epitome of utilitarian. Refinished nicely with an added RDS mount.

My goal with rifles was to have the 'big 3' calibers covered; 5.56x45mm, 7.62x51mm, and 7.62x39mm. With the exception of 22lr, these rifles pretty much cover all rifle-needs. However about 3 months ago, in the interest of logistical consolidation, I was considering getting rid of all three and replacing them with only an RFB and Rem700. The RFB is shorter, handier AND more powerful than either the AK or AR15 and a Rem700 build would be a much better long distance shooter than the 308 AR. Basically, I'd be able to do everything I can do now BETTER (using one less rifle) AND only have to stock one rifle caliber. I find the idea of only needing 2 rifles and 1 caliber very appealing. (Shoulda pulled the trigger on the RFB 3mos ago because they're now $3k+ due to panic buying morons... so I'll have to wait until they come back down again.)

Shotguns:
Keltec KSG - I'm planning for this to be my primary HD/SHTF gun. If it proves reliable, 15 shotshells is tough to top.
Baikal O/U 12ga - Inexpensive, classy looking, & fun to shoot clays with (my all-time favorite shooting activity).
I have no plans or need to buy any new shotguns or get rid of any.

Pistols:
Ruger LCP .380 - Strictly for very light CCW when nothing else conceals. Cheap, tiny and minimal SD caliber. Everyone needs a pea-shooter!
Glock 19 9mm - Sort of my jack of all trades gun. Good Capacity, good suppression, effective caliber, easy to carry. IMO,
Glock 29 10mm - My primary CCW. Similar size as G19, except a little fatter and ALOT angrier. 165gr GDHP @ 1400fps... 'nuff said.
Ruger 22lr - Awesome suppression, cheap ammo, and great for practice/plinking. By far my most enjoyable handgun.
Gov't 1911-A1 - My first gun and favorite gun. Slim, ergonomic, sexy and has a cavernous muzzle. 100+ year old perfection.

I feel the need to trim down my calibers in this arena too. I'd like to trade the LCP for one of those newfangled 9mm minipistols... maybe a CM9 or LC9 or something. The LCP was a nice little leap in pocket pistols, but it's a bit underpowered and out of date. I'd also like to try out a Glock 36 or XDs as an alternative to the Glock 29... the G29 is awesome but still a tad thick and I think a subcompact single stack large caliber would make a great everyday CCW. If I could replace the LCP and G29sf with a similar sized 9mm and thinner subcompact .45, then I would only have to maintain 2 major pistol calibers. Each gun would have a single purpose: Big 9mm, little 9mm, big 45, little 45, & rimfire. Simple and effective collection.

So I think my gun purchasing habits over the next year or so will focus on streamlining my firearms and calibers. I'd love to be able to satisfy all of my gun needs with only having to buy or reload 4 major calibers; 9mm, 45acp, 12ga, and 308. I'm a big fan of buying quality guns rather than a ton of similar guns. I don't consider 22lr to because it's cheap and I buy them a brick at a time anyways.
I reject your truths and substitute my own realities
ariwhiteboy
Silent Operator

Post by ariwhiteboy »

Hmm interesting topic. Won't list everything, but some of my standouts are:

Can hosts:
Savage FVSR 22
Walther P22

Deer/Hog Rifles:
Marlin 45-70
Remington M77 Scout Rifle in .308
Enfield Carbine in .303
Rossi Lever in .44Mag

Pistolas:
Colt Series 80 1911
Glock 26 (Carry Gun)
S&W M327 TRR8

Oddities:
Mannlicher Carcano 6.5
Schmidt Rubin Straight Pull Alpine Sporter in .308Win (Just purchased, and man is it ever sweet!)
It is a very sad man who requires his opinions to be validated by those around him.

SWR Spectre II (Pending)
clevis hitch

Post by clevis hitch »

I recently moved from Kentucky to Alaska. I had been paring down my collection to arms that I use and carry everyday. A gun is useless when you dont caryy it. I have also oriented around the 35 caliber. It seems to me to lend itself to a good balance between penetration, meplat, available weights and usefullness. I settled on the 35 caliber because alot of the cartridges can still use blackpowder or blackpowder equivalents. From 90 grain to 310 grains bullets are available in various configurations metals and purposes. From the legendary 125 JHP in the 357 magnum wheel gun to the 147/148 grain subsonic. It also seems that the crossover from pistol to rifle rounds have a common weight at 180 grains. In my 77/357 ruger with its custom 1:7 twist I can shoot either the 180 pistol bullets for subsonic (9.1 grains of H4227/ Hornady 180 XTP loaded to 38 spcl COAL for 1005 fps out of a 16 inch gobstopper) or the 180 barnes TTSX. I pull the blue penetrator out by heating the round slightly then I do a full on anneal, quenching it to soften the metal. It doesnt do a complete flower petaling at sub speeds but it does bellow out. I also cast a 158 grain and a 300 grain with a gas check. The 300 grain goes about 2050 fps in my 350 rem mag xp100r pistol. I can send the 180 gr barnes at 2720 fps both using H4895. I am looking at the .358 winchester with a fast twist (gotta be 1:10 to stabilize) the 300 grain cast bullet. I should be able to get 300 yards or better out of it subsonic. The suppressor I use is a form 1 contraption that I designed and built for about $15 and I have shot it next to a production $1000 suppressor and mine was quieter. mostly because I was using 158 grain cast bullets and 2.1 grains of clays in my 38 special rifle. The peak pressure was only 11000 psi. so all of my guns are as follows. 350 Rem Mag pistol XP100R, 38 Special rifle supersneak subgun, Ruger Vaquero 357 SS, Ruger MKIII hunter with custom scope mount and threaded barrel. I am looking to get a 358 winchester in a browning lever gun.
3 weelin geezer
Silent But Deadly

Post by 3 weelin geezer »

I have 2 10-22's. They had a sale and I saved $50. Would have saved more if I hadn't bought them in the first place come to think of it. God, I hate their clever marketing! :lol:

No, actually one has threads for a silencer and the other one has yet to be used even once. it was going to be used on one of those bullpup stocks but I have lost so many parts from that kit that its going in the trash.
continuity
Elite Member

Post by continuity »

TROOPER wrote:I saw an M1A1, wooden stock, new at a PX today. $1,360 (no tax, no transfer fee). Next to it was an FNAR for $1,080.

meh, class is class. if someone did the M1A over the FNAR, I'd call it a class act. Rest easy sensei.
What amount of a man is composed of his own collection of experiences... and the conclusions that those experiences have allowed him to "know" for certain as "Truth"? :Ick
continuity
Elite Member

Post by continuity »

clevis hitch wrote:I recently moved from Kentucky to Alaska. I had been paring down my collection to arms that I use and carry everyday. A gun is useless when you dont caryy it...
Relax private. I don't deploy my 12 gauge to the door of (most) calls for service. Doesn't mean the one I have access to falls into the useless category. Same goes for the suppressed AR in my cruiser gun lock, or the M1A in the trunk. I may not "need" them on every call for service, but then again, they might be needed for a specific evolution.

Rethink your thoughts.
Last edited by continuity on Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tony M.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Tony M. »

My collection is down significantly this year. Now it almost all fits in one safe.

I have redundancy pretty well covered, with such examples as nearly a dozen .32 caliber target revolvers, and over a dozen .22 suppressor hosts.
continuity
Elite Member

Post by continuity »

Tony M. wrote:...Now it almost all fits in one safe...
IKTF bro. It seems that a second safe is in the near future.