What guns do you own, and why?

Random gun talk.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

TROOPER
Silent But Deadly

What guns do you own, and why?

Post by TROOPER »

Long ago, David Hineline posted something to the effect that he had sold a lot of his firearms, and simplified his collection. If I am remembering correctly, and if that happened, it shows a very practical move... one that I have attempted to put into my own firearm purchases -- insofar as any of my guns are used as anything other than recreation.

Specifically what I'm referring to is how a person may end up owning multiple handguns. I feel that owning a full-size 9mm and a full-size 45 is redundant. This isn't meant to be a 9mm v 45 discussion - this example is just meant to point out how regardless of caliber, they both are meant to perform the same basic function; the shooting of human targets at limited distances with relatively easy carry.

In my mind, unless someone is going to "dual wield", then why own two? If you do own both, then please do not worry that this is an attack, or a slander against you.... but tell us how you ended up where you are at.

This is just as true for rifles, though to a lesser extent. 9mm and 45 are more similar to one another than are a 223 or a 308 (decimals dropped out of respect for RSilvers' Wikipedia edit efforts). A 223 Rem cannot perform the same tasks as a 308 Win, or vice versa. They are more akin to complimentary chamberings as opposed to direct competitors with one another.

To that end; I currently own five firearms, with two on order from the base FFL.

17 HMR bolt-action -- for precise 50-125 yard shots without monkeying around with range finding to achieve them.
22 LR Sig 522 -- for semi-auto, inexpensive shooting at cans and other inanimate objects, and also for 'absolute suppression'
22 LR Beretta 87 -- for semi-auto, inexpensive shooting at cans and other inanimate objects from a pistol, and 'absolute suppresion'
9mm GLOCK -- for a "real" handgun (not 22), that also suppresses very well. Cheap to shoot, but still a "serious" caliber.
9mm Beretta CX4 Storm -- rifle meant to host my 9mm silencer, also shoots the least expensive centerfire ammunition available, and is quiet as well.

If I had the chance to do it over again, I probably wouldn't pick up the 17 HMR, because I feel like a 22 bolt-action wouldn't give up too much performance, but would probably do almost the same thing for a lot less. It won't shoot a hole through a nickel, but that 'trick shot' aside, the targets I shoot with the .17 HMR don't really care how powerful the shot is -- so I'm paying extra money for just the flat-shooting, I guess.

I am in the market to buy a lever-action. I won't buy a 22, because I already have a 22 rifle. I won't buy a 357 because, while it is more powerful than my 9mm rifle, the gap isn't great enough to warrant the expenditure. I won't buy a 30/30 because I have been on a buyers' list for (for two Christmases now) for an RFB in 308 Win... and a 30/30 and a 308 do not both have a place in my collection. Therefore I am purchasing a 44 Mag (assuming I can find a Marlin, or settle on a Henry (hate the brass)).

That is the thought process behind my purchases. I assume others' feel the same way? Whenever you go to buy a gun, it probably needs to do something well; either chambering a useful cartridge, an inexpensive cartridge, maybe an easy-to-find cartridge, or even just a very powerful cartridge. I assume you're buying the gun because it was... a decent price? Had a certain look? Reminded you of your childhood? Who knows?

Do other people take care to avoid redundancy in their collection?
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Re: What guns do you own, and why?

Post by Bendersquint »

TROOPER wrote:Long ago, David Hineline posted something to the effect that he had sold a lot of his firearms, and simplified his collection. If I am remembering correctly, and if that happened, it shows a very practical move... one that I have attempted to put into my own firearm purchases -- insofar as any of my guns are used as anything other than recreation.

Specifically what I'm referring to is how a person may end up owning multiple handguns. I feel that owning a full-size 9mm and a full-size 45 is redundant. This isn't meant to be a 9mm v 45 discussion - this example is just meant to point out how regardless of caliber, they both are meant to perform the same basic function; the shooting of human targets at limited distances with relatively easy carry.

In my mind, unless someone is going to "dual wield", then why own two? If you do own both, then please do not worry that this is an attack, or a slander against you.... but tell us how you ended up where you are at.

This is just as true for rifles, though to a lesser extent. 9mm and 45 are more similar to one another than are a 223 or a 308 (decimals dropped out of respect for RSilvers' Wikipedia edit efforts). A 223 Rem cannot perform the same tasks as a 308 Win, or vice versa. They are more akin to complimentary chamberings as opposed to direct competitors with one another.

To that end; I currently own five firearms, with two on order from the base FFL.

17 HMR bolt-action -- for precise 50-125 yard shots without monkeying around with range finding to achieve them.
22 LR Sig 522 -- for semi-auto, inexpensive shooting at cans and other inanimate objects, and also for 'absolute suppression'
22 LR Beretta 87 -- for semi-auto, inexpensive shooting at cans and other inanimate objects from a pistol, and 'absolute suppresion'
9mm GLOCK -- for a "real" handgun (not 22), that also suppresses very well. Cheap to shoot, but still a "serious" caliber.
9mm Beretta CX4 Storm -- rifle meant to host my 9mm silencer, also shoots the least expensive centerfire ammunition available, and is quiet as well.

If I had the chance to do it over again, I probably wouldn't pick up the 17 HMR, because I feel like a 22 bolt-action wouldn't give up too much performance, but would probably do almost the same thing for a lot less. It won't shoot a hole through a nickel, but that 'trick shot' aside, the targets I shoot with the .17 HMR don't really care how powerful the shot is -- so I'm paying extra money for just the flat-shooting, I guess.

I am in the market to buy a lever-action. I won't buy a 22, because I already have a 22 rifle. I won't buy a 357 because, while it is more powerful than my 9mm rifle, the gap isn't great enough to warrant the expenditure. I won't buy a 30/30 because I have been on a buyers' list for (for two Christmases now) for an RFB in 308 Win... and a 30/30 and a 308 do not both have a place in my collection. Therefore I am purchasing a 44 Mag (assuming I can find a Marlin, or settle on a Henry (hate the brass)).

That is the thought process behind my purchases. I assume others' feel the same way? Whenever you go to buy a gun, it probably needs to do something well; either chambering a useful cartridge, an inexpensive cartridge, maybe an easy-to-find cartridge, or even just a very powerful cartridge. I assume you're buying the gun because it was... a decent price? Had a certain look? Reminded you of your childhood? Who knows?

Do other people take care to avoid redundancy in their collection?
Plenty of redundancy in my collection. I try not to have identical firearms but have multiples of them in different configurations. Example.....I have 2 Ruger77/22's. One with a 16" barrel and one with a full length both threaded.

Most often I buy a gun because it looks fun or I have shot a friends/customer and enjoyed it.

I don't know many people that have more than 1 or 2 firearms for a "purpose" and the rest for blasting and just fun.
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

So, I own almost a dozen things you can call firearms and 3 or 4 pellet guns, the pellet guns are for hobby, plinking and pest control

22lr rifle and a 22lr handgun conversion, the rifle is for plinking, the conversion is just for trigger time and plinking, both are suppressor hosts
a couple pocket 380s, shoot a little carry a lots, I tend to think of them as 7 shot stun guns, one is always on me and the other is someplace handy
a couple not so pocketable 9mm handguns, also shoot a little carry a lots, one is sometimes on me and the other is in another handy location
a couple higher capacity 9mm handguns, a full size that fits the 22lr conversion and a compact with 3 swappable barrels in 9mm/357Sig/40S&W the compact is my trusty shoot-almost-any-ammo-handy home defense gun, full size is mostly a range/target gun, both are suppressor hosts
12ga pump, dedicated bird gun, 26" barrel
a 9mm foldable FrankenCamp, it's a handy throw it on the floor of the truck/mule beater and a suppressor host
AR-10ish 308Win, double duty long range hobby and hunting gun, soon to be a suppressor host
a few suppressors (they're firearms right?), those are for making shots quieter :roll: :D

It can be argued I have some redundancy in my handguns but they all serve a purpose at the moment, I don't buy guns just to collect them. But the small 380 and 9mm in handy locations sometimes feel redundant and are in danger of finding new homes every so often, one of these days I'll want the cash out of them.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
DoctorSolo
Silent But Deadly

Post by DoctorSolo »

Last edited by DoctorSolo on Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dtom29
Silent But Deadly

Post by dtom29 »

I look at this completely different than you. I strive for redundancy...

Actually, you sound like my Wife..."why do you need two of those" :wink: :lol:

I subscribe to the theory that "one is none two is one". This came in handy when my 1911 was taken for evidance, just went to the safe and got another out to carry.
I have more than one AR, AK(LOL, actually 9) more than one Sig, more than one Glock (but I'm down to one of each 9mm model), only one RFB, but I'll have another when the rush is over. Since I hunt I have more than one high power rifle, and at last count there were two 11-87's and 5 870's in the safe. Multiple Trap guns...etc
Sometimes I buy something because it interests me, and there is always something new coming out.
One rule I have...I NEVER sell a gun any more, NEVER....I given them to my Son, Son-in Law, Granddaughter, etc. I have sold three in my life, I regret 2 of those and I made up my mind 30 years ago to never do it again.
Which brings up another thing...Why do people take guns that don't work/are broken/junk to gun shows and screw over perfect strangers and think that's ok??? :x but that's a subject for another thread....
rogerme
Silent But Deadly

Post by rogerme »

I not only strive for redundancy but have come to excel at it. I have more 22lr pistols and rifles alone then anyone could ever need but I like em. That is the crux of it for me I do add to my collection as tactically needed but as wanted nothing more. I see something I like I buy it. I may have four others but such is life. I have 6 10/22's cause I like em. Some people buy matchbox cars some spend there time working on there hot rods. I spend my time shooting my firearms. The more you have the more can shoot as long as the ammo lasts but I also hoard ammo..
"If you carry a gun, people call you paranoid. That's ridiculous. If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid about?"

Clint Smith
Bowen1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by Bowen1911 »

10/22- cause its a 10/22
rem 581- bolt 22, cmon
my 4 shotguns- just cause
AR- everyone has one, or 2
mini 14- graduation present
my 380, 9mm, two 357's, 44 mag, 45- they are fun/ hunting with the 44
22/45- silenced pistol
.204- stupid flat shooting squirrel blower upper
.25-06- deer rifle
300 win mag- bigger stuff rifle
mosin- it was $70

I'm forgetting a few.
"I notice that everybody that is pro-abortion already has been born."
--Ronald Reagan

Form 1 .22 can
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mq-XG3tn7s0
Maser
Silent But Deadly

Post by Maser »

Mossberg 500 - Home defense, trap shooting, practical/tactical recreational shooting, small game/varmint hunting.

Ruger 10/22 - Plinking and all around fun, and small game/varmint hunting.

Ruger Security Six - Soon to be CCW.

Daisy Legacy - Oldest son's training rifle.

Marlin Model 200 - Oldest son's training shotgun.

Air Pistols/Rifles & Airsoft - Backyard shooting.
My intelligence is like a suppressed rimfire pistol. You may not be able to hear it, but it certainly always hits its mark.
TROOPER
Silent But Deadly

Post by TROOPER »

Redundancy strikes me as odd... but maybe that's because I am on such a tight budget. If I'm looking for the most "bang-for-the-buck" as a collection, then it makes sense to avoid cartridges and firearms that have such an overlap of purpose and abilities.

That said, given enough time and/or a large budget and little time... I would eventually mentally come to peace with a degree of redundancy.

Right now, however, I cannot bring myself to purchas a firearm if I already have one that does the same thing. The "devil-in-the-details" of that sentence is the phrase, "does the same thing". Because even if I owned a Marlin 1894 in 357 Mag... I guess I could eventually find a way to purchase the exact same gun with a laminate stock... because even if it literally does the exact same thing in weight, cycling, caliber, length, width, price... it'd still look just a touch different. Which means one will look better with my "mossy oak" bibs, and the other will look better with my riding pants, boots, and crop.
rogerme
Silent But Deadly

Post by rogerme »

Redundancy has little to do with want. If it shoots 22lr I likely want one. If it is made by H&K I must have one. If it goes bang I like it.

There are those who buy firearms to own there are those who buy them to shoot some buy them to hunt and some buy them because. My wife asks me all the time why do you need another one I ask her why she need another trinket box ( her collectible ) my answer is always the same because I want it.
"If you carry a gun, people call you paranoid. That's ridiculous. If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid about?"

Clint Smith
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

TROOPER wrote:Redundancy strikes me as odd... but maybe that's because I am on such a tight budget.
I think you just summed up your thought pattern on redundancy.

The tighter your budget means you will have a purpose for each toy and not have overlaps because overlaps could have been used to fill other gaps.

Alot of people think that way and in time will become redundant.
TROOPER
Silent But Deadly

Post by TROOPER »

My strategy to avoid redundancy is to buy three of each.
L1A1Rocker
Silent But Deadly

Post by L1A1Rocker »

Interesting questions. Too bad I recently had an accident moving. They all burned up in crash.
Last edited by L1A1Rocker on Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dweezil
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dweezil »

I have more than I need. Just ask my wife. I could probably make do with a .22 rifle/pistol. 1 centerfire CCW and a .308 bolt gun. The rest just feeds the addiction.
"I'm from the government...I'm here to help."
Bowen1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by Bowen1911 »

L1A1Rocker wrote:Interesting questions. I make it a rule to NEVER sell a firearm that I acquire.

That's what I said, but then I bought a P22 and was given a Ruger Single-Six. Poop and couldn't be suppressed (respectively), so I sold the P22 and bought a 22/45, and sold the revolver and bought a 1911.

I also bought a 357, so I had no use for my old taurus model 83. Blue book value of 185 max, so I traded it for a Burris Fastfire II.
--Ronald Reagan

Form 1 .22 can
kusai
Silent Operator

Post by kusai »

We gun enthusiasts just need another excuse to buy another gun.the is no redundancy and no self defense idea, the whole point is hoard as many as you can ( if possible with cans. )
My wife asks why u need sooo many guns, and I say for the same reason you need soo many clothes and jewelery which you harldy wear once, end of conversation :mrgreen:
Bowen1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by Bowen1911 »

kusai wrote:We gun enthusiasts just need another excuse to buy another gun.the is no redundancy and no self defense idea, the whole point is hoard as many as you can ( if possible with cans. )
My wife asks why u need sooo many guns, and I say for the same reason you need soo many clothes and jewelery which you harldy wear once, end of conversation :mrgreen:

I say the same thing about mountain bikes. Unfortunately, I can't store as many bikes as I can guns, so I have to limit myself there.
--Ronald Reagan

Form 1 .22 can
fstbk65
Silent But Deadly

Post by fstbk65 »

I am currently at 60 guns. I didn't even know how many until I decided to go through them as I was moving the safe and record serial #'s, options, accesories etc on each one. There is redundancy obviously but I do like different things also so I am far from having my collection down to fewer calibers. I do think that you are doing the right thing for a tight budget though. Cover all your bases then as money allows, get guns that you just "want". Hell I have 6 AR's just because I wanted different configurations. Now I sold some cause I thought I had to many but then ended up building more. Just built a dedicated 22lr and love it so much decided to sell my Remington 597. Since I did have 3 semi auto 22lr rifles before the ar build...

I also just picked up a threaded model Buckmark for a host so I'll sell my target model. I do miss some of the ones I sold. At one time I said I'd never sell any either but after a while priorities change and you just realize you can't have everything. :(
TROOPER
Silent But Deadly

Post by TROOPER »

I'm already looking at redundancy now. I'm very seriously considering a Savage FSVR as a suppressed, 22 platform. This annoys me, because I have a Sig 522, and I love it. I have it suppressed, but what about bolt-action suppressed? Worse, I have a Savage in 17 HMR -- how do I explain putting a piece right between these two when I'm already having a hard time justifying the 17 and the 22 rifle?

I could do it... but it means delaying one of three current goals;

Viridian laser for GLOCK 17
Appropriate optics for RFB (not received yet, STILL on order)
Long range bolt-action, which is tentatively scheduled to be a Savage 11 (the least expensive Savage in 243 that has an Accu-Trigger and Accu-Stock). That Model 11 isn't particularly expensive by itself, but I'm having a helluva time making peace with the amount of money that must be put into the glass for that rifle. I want that high magnification, but it seems that anything that ratchets up that high is blurry.... unless you pony up a small stack of Franklins.
jlwilliams
Silent But Deadly

Post by jlwilliams »

fstbk65 wrote:..... At one time I said I'd never sell any either but after a while priorities change and you just realize you can't have everything. :(
True 'dat.
ick
Silent But Deadly

Post by ick »

22 years of collecting here.

Personally I don't understand the whole "simplify my collection" concept. Perhaps it is part of the firearm ownership process that you simply cannot understand until you arrive at that sort of thinking on your own.

If I had financial troubles or large mortgage payments I would probably think differently.... but that would not be "simplifying my collection", that would be a financial move.

Perhaps if I could not afford a Benelli M4 H2O without selling something... it would be different. But this is not my situation at this point.

When I do purchase a rifle I research it to death and really mull it over. I purchase it with the intention of owning it.... for life.

With the money you have sunk into your collection is it really worth your while to sell pistols and rifles for a few hundred... rather than just keep them?

I understand some guys get some jollies from turning a gun over and getting some cash for it... I am not talking about that.... nor am I talking about the idea of "passing on" a well made quality firearm to a friend at a reasonable price...

Perhaps "I have too many" just hasn't hit me yet.
-----
Ick
guitarman1978

Post by guitarman1978 »

i own several different firearms. some just for the variety, some for what i consider to be historical value, some were gifts, and some i use regaularly. i have (for hunting) a weatherby 30-06, a weatherby 300 win mag, a 1965 model 94 30-30 (a gift from my father when i was 12, ans a 1972 winchester M70 custom in 338-06AI. i reload for most of these rifles. i own a 1944 BNZ K98k mauser. they don't make them like they made that one (in concentration camps) anymore. i own a 1945 mosin nagant M44 (the short carbine w/ folding bayonet). this rifle is just plain cool. it is a great shooter, doubtful it was made in time to see action during WWII... unlike my mauser, but it is also ballistically similar to the .308 winchester...so i also use that rifle for hunting in the woods. my father in law gave me a type 99 arisaka 7.7mm that his uncle supposedly brought back from okinawa. it has hash marks through the chrysanthemum, so i'm unsure of how it actually made it stateside. i have a nice bersa 9mm (17rnds) for my ccdw, another bersa in .380, and a superblackhwak 44 mag. that big beauty serves as my back up when hunting. yes, there is some overlap, but i also own a ridiculous number of guitars. some sound different than outhers, some were gifts, and some (like my fifles and pistols) overlap... but all look good and kick ass just the same!

there is some reasoning to redundancy. i like variety and the asthetic beauty of these firearms. i also have the ambition of hunting larger game than just deer. i want to own a middle bore, medium bore, and large bore rifle... so my next rifle will be a 45-70. same thing w/ my pistols: variety, beauty, and since a carry concealed, they all need to be able to do the same thing. that seems practical, in an eccentric sense. firearms are an investment. take care of them, and they can appreciate in value. finally, firarms are also an heirloom, in a general sense. my son will inherit all of my guns, as i will also inherit my father's, and my grandfather's. i'll be reciving the 1903 springfield that my father bought for my pop pop in a few weeks. my pop pop was a marine. he fought on guadalcanal, and several other islands that he never was told the names of. he LOVED his 1903 springfield. my dad gave that 1903 to him as a gift of thanks so he could own the rifle he loved and swore by so much. to that end, some guns are just absolutely priceless.
Beatenplowindustries

Post by Beatenplowindustries »

Started with bb guns around 8 years old with a daisy, I semi-permanently own my brothers crosman. A bunch of other bb guns/ pellet guns some pistol some rifle just too many to list or bother to count.

Real guns
.22s
1910-1915 single shot 22 Stevens pistol
Savage mako 22 Thumbhole stock
1940s remington 22 rifle (great grandpa's)

9mm
Springfield EMP 9(potential ccw if I ever get the permit)

38/357
Dan wesson model 15 revolver SA/DA 357

Larger caliber rifles
.223 Ar15 16" barrel
30-06 Remington model 34
7.62x54 Mosin nagant

Shotguns
12g Mossberg 500

As far as redundancy I have several calibers that are ballistically close but they all have a purpose/sentimental value. The 9 and 357 both pistols but the revolver is a better back up choice in the woods due to stopping power. The 9 is slimmer and cheaper to shoot. My collection is growing but then again other than pellet/bbguns all these came into my possession in the last 4.5-5years
SRM
Silent But Deadly

Post by SRM »

Bowen1911 wrote:
kusai wrote:We gun enthusiasts just need another excuse to buy another gun.the is no redundancy and no self defense idea, the whole point is hoard as many as you can ( if possible with cans. )

I say the same thing about mountain bikes. Unfortunately, I can't store as many bikes as I can guns, so I have to limit myself there.
I saw some vids of a guy with a off road uni. Talk about balls!
GoJohnnyGo
Silent But Deadly

Post by GoJohnnyGo »

I believe in redundancy from the point of ammunition purchasing. I own 2 9mm handguns, 2 22lr (one rifle one pistol) and 2 223 rifles. I started buying two of each caliber because to me it makes more sense to buy ammo in bulk that I can use in more than one gun. It just didn't feel right to have a 2k 9mm rounds and only one pistol to shoot them. What if that pistol broke and I couldn't easily repair it?

I also own a few other guns: 357 revolver, 30.06 rifle, shotgun and 380 pistol but don't stockpile ammo for any of those.

As for the selling guns thing. I have sold a few guns and for the most part don't regret any of them but all of the guns I've sold were major let downs when I bought them. They were guns that I had bought on a whim and never really felt connected to (p3-At and an xd). Both were fine guns, just not for me. I have been thinking about selling my P22 since the day I bought it but I just haven't gotten around to it. It's a fine gun I just wish I'd have gotten a Ruger instead.