Post by TROOPER »

Beginning of 2012, I stood here:
17 HMR bolt-action
22 LR Sig 522
22 LR Beretta 87
9mm GLOCK
9mm Beretta CX4 Storm

Now, in addition to the above, I have added:
Desert Eagle XIX 50AE & 44 Mag (one gun, two barrels)
Kel-Tec RFB - 308 madness
Marlin 1894SS 44 Mag
Savage Mark II - the short, threaded 22 LR bolt-action.
RIA 1911 22 TCM

I have also purchased and sold a Savage... 11? In 204 Ruger. It shot fast, flat, and was hard on a target. I also NEVER shot it... well... never after the first 12 rounds or so. The recoil was very low, and at 4,225 FPS at the muzzle, its point-blank range was just a hair under 300 yards. In fact, with a 200 yard zero, the 100 yard target was only .6 inches off of POA. LASER-beam. It's cost-to-shot of ~$1 was off-putting, and reloads (at that time) could only get 3,900 FPS at the muzzle since Hornady was using a proprietary, not-available-to-reloaders powder. 3,900 is nothing to brush off, but at that point, why not just use a bolt-action in 223? Plus -- and this is all my own fault -- I never stretched it out beyond 100 yards. At that point, with a mild breeze, I was just as well off with the 17 HMR provided I was shooting inanimate objects; which I was.

I'm procrastinating big-time on the reviews and pics of the 22 TCM, and the RFB. It wouldn't hurt to throw out a review of the Desert Eagle as well, but to be honest, I don't know that I can add anything worthwhile to the collective internet pool-of-knowledge on that particular firearm. Same goes for my GLOCK 17. What can I say that isn't already a Google-search away from a reader now?

Also, I did get the dies for the 22 TCM, and my cursory shooting of this gun ... God bless Mr. Craig for this cartridge, because Mr. Craig has certainly blessed us with it. And if I can get any sort of reasonable consistency out of the little reloads (of which I have yet to work up a single one), then maybe I should look into selling the 17 HMR in favor of Mr. Craig's 22 TCM bolt-action. The internet is reporting ~3,000 FPS muzzle-velocity with 40 grain factory loads. I'd like to use the Hornady 32-grain V-Max because I know they fit, and I wonder what the FPS out of that lighter bullet will be. Considering the objects I'd be shooting at, I don't know that there's any benefit whatsoever to the 40 gr. But all of that is for a different day.

Keep this thread going. Part of it is campfire talk for fun... but there are lurkers that silently read what people have, and with limited funds, wonder what might be best for them. Avoiding redundancy (strictly for fiscal reasons) might be an important concept to latch on to for them, and people talking out why they got what they did may end up being more beneficial than it seems on the surface.
Tony M.
Silent But Deadly

Re: What guns do you own, and why?

Post by Tony M. »

continuity wrote:
Tony M. wrote:...Now it almost all fits in one safe...
IKTF bro. It seems that a second safe is in the near future.
:)
firstsgtsteiner
Silent Operator

Post by firstsgtsteiner »

Taurus Judge- Just fun and loud.... gets attention at the range and is a hoot to shoot clays outta the sky
Ruger SR-22- suppressor host and fun rabbit killer
Glock 26- daily carry and supressor host
Keltec sub2000- unique toy
PS90- im a lefty and did not want to build a left handed AR, ( yeah i know different gun, round, and use but whatevs)
Savage MK II- can host and 100yrd 22 naildriver
Huglu 20g o/u- skeet gun
Taurus PT22- 22 gun in the bug out bag
SharkLee

Post by SharkLee »

Redundency in firearms. Interesting concept. I never worried whether that applied to me ..... until I filled my first safe. We are not talking a small one either! When you must consider your next purchase fitting safe storage, you become a master of prioritizing. I could have filled a smaller safe with silver bars for investments, but what fun is that??!!

As for the poster that said his wife asked why he needed more guns.... My purchases always include a gold object liberally applied to the hands of my lovely wife. It's expensive, but so is divorce. Also.....as a side benefit, since my safe literally cannot hold another object, I've convinced my wife I need another safe to store her golden trinkets as well. :wink:
continuity
Elite Member

Post by continuity »

SharkLee wrote:... I've convinced my wife I need another safe to store her golden trinkets as well. :wink:
You brother, could be considered a wizard of forward thinking. I like your style. :D
What amount of a man is composed of his own collection of experiences... and the conclusions that those experiences have allowed him to "know" for certain as "Truth"? :Ick
ick
Silent But Deadly

Post by ick »

These kinds of threads are always a great read. You can see a man's thinking. Neat.

I think I posted in this thread before so please allow me to add....

I bought several AR15 lowers +parts just to keep on-hand.

Seemed like a good idea at the time and only cost a few bucks.

Wondering how some future grandfathering provisions would be worded. Thought it would be a smart move if legislative action goes to a DEFCON4 situation in the near future. At least I would have extra lowers and possible future options.
-----
Ick
timtactical

Post by timtactical »

I sold of my .40 cal glock model 23 & 27 once I started reloading. I wanted to simplify my ammunition and narrow down basically to military calibers.

Beretta 92, Its what I carried when I was in the Marines, I shoot well with it. I have so many holsters, drop legs and magazines its a no brainier for me to keep plus it makes a great host weapon.

As an Armorer I enjoy building AR's, and bolt action rifles, I went from plain AR's to tricked out SBR's, suppressors etc.

I believe that anyone owning a .22 should be in possession of at least 1 10/22, between the options, accessories, magazines, barrels you have so many options its again a no brainier. My first .22 purchase was a Remington Viper, they didn't last long. The only magazines I could find were $40 on ebay. So I sold the rifle and bought a 10/22, now I am up to 4. Between a small bore rifle, tricked out with volquartzen parts threaded .22 host, charger for the wife, and a take down, I am good for a little while. The kids have their guns, my youngest daughter shoots the cricket, my older daughter shoots a 10/22. I plan to build a dedicated .22 for them as a trainer then they will each have their own AR.

I hunt, so obviously I have my larger calibers, I keep with .308 to keep the ammunition simple. I load a 168 gr for hunting so its easy to switch between my smk to an expanding bullet.

Then the 300 blackout cam out and I love it. I have a suppressed sbr, 300 black out bolt gun that I hunt with suppressed. I just save all my worn out 5.56 lc cases, and reform them. I load 110gr amax for hunting and it is definitely a joy, Its quiet and packs a punch. Ive killed 5 deer in 2 years with it.

I have other pistols, lc9 for ccw when dressed up as a pocket gun, glock 19 for otw carry. I plan to build up a 1911 host, for my 45 ti-rant.

For fun shooting besides the .22's I have various AR's , a few in 308 as well. I usually shoot everything suppressed, every rifle has a 51t.
UP2013

Post by UP2013 »

I have a Stevens 12 Gauge Single Barrel Classic that is gonna get F1'd and cut down into something ridiculous because I'm a little kid on the inside, and I have a Vz.61 Skorpion because it's the Klobb. My justification for those is "F--k you I like guns." Everything else though, I have a very practical use for, and redundancy is intentionally introduced.
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

Post by whiterussian1974 »

I'm not going to list "all" my weapons for security purposes.
I WILL list my logic.
ALL pistols are .40 Glocks. Extra parts and mags can be shared.
In Police Academy the Inst said that Depts. should standardize so that spare mags can be shared if needed. While I disagree from Dept standpoint because of multiple caliber preferences, for a family or Prepper group this makes sense.
We have multiple AK-based 7.62x39s. I also have 1 rebarrelled to 9x39mm for suppressed use.
We have .243, 30-06, .300WSM, .375 CheyTac.
And .22lr pistol, rifle, conversions for low cost training.
The Darkest Corners of Hell are reserved for those who remain Neutral!-Dante
The Death of One is a Tragedy, a million only a statistic.-Stalin
silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=135314
Shootsmith

Post by Shootsmith »

I like having multiple guns that can shoot the same caliber.
I like tried and true gun platforms that I can find parts and magazines for, cheaply.
I like popular calibers that I can find at walmart and surplus ammo for cheap.
I like higher end guns/tools, buy once cry once.
I've only ever sold 2 guns but they were to buy better guns.
I prefer short SBRs, heavy barrels, and threaded guns for muzzle breaks and suppressors.
I need to buy better optics.

Pistols - .22LR, .22mag, .38/.357, 9mm, .40, .45 (more 9mm than others) [Sig/S&W/Glock]
Shotguns - 12ga & 20ga. (Semi-auto/pump/single shot with rifled pistol caliber chamber adapters) [Benelli/Rem]
Rifles - .22LR, .22mag, .38/.357, 9mm, 556, 300BLK, 762 (multiple ARs/Bolt guns) [Colt/Rem/Tikka]
continuity
Elite Member

Post by continuity »

JANS0N wrote: ...Shotguns - 12ga... pump...
At least you have the absolute one gun of necessity... :mrgreen:
What amount of a man is composed of his own collection of experiences... and the conclusions that those experiences have allowed him to "know" for certain as "Truth"? :Ick
Shootsmith

Post by Shootsmith »

continuity wrote:
Agreed. But I feel a collection should have the following as a minimum:
At least 1 .22LR rifle
At least 1 shotgun - 12ga
At least 1 handgun - 9mm etc
At least 1 longer range rifle - 5.56, 7.62, etc
BigBoyToyz

Post by BigBoyToyz »

Four 50AE Desert Eagles, 2 Brushed Chrome, And 2 In Gold.
Yes, I Carry All 4 Concealed At All Times.
Who Messes Around With Changing Magazines LOL.
TRX

Post by TRX »

"Because I like them."

If I had more money and space, I'd have a lot more...

There may be too many Mosins here, but I can't accept any responsibility for that. Everyone knows Mosins reproduce by fission. You buy one, a while later there are three, and you don't remember buying them.
continuity
Elite Member

Post by continuity »

TRX wrote:... There may be too many Mosins here, ...
Everyone needs at least one artillery unit... :D
Artful
Silent But Deadly

Post by Artful »

Shootsmith wrote:
continuity wrote:
Agreed. But I feel a collection should have the following as a minimum:
At least 1 .22LR rifle
At least 1 shotgun - 12ga
At least 1 handgun - 9mm etc
At least 1 longer range rifle - 5.56, 7.62, etc
My thoughts have always been
1 rifle and 1 handgun in 22 LR
12 ga shotgun
1 self defense handgun (9mm or larger) - concealable sized
1 Bolt action hunting / long distance Rifle (243 or larger)
1 Semi self defense rifle (223 or larger)

Now being this is a quiet forum I would add that those you do have should be
made into hosts for cans -
1 Can able to be used for self defense pistol and 22 LR hosts (cleanable)
1 Can to be used on long distance rifle and self defense rifle

Examples of this if I had to pick from what I currently own
Ruger Mk2 pistol and Ruger 10/22 rifle both in 22LR to share ammo
Remington 870 pump 12 ga
SIG 225 w/ barsto threaded barrel (9mm)
Remington 700 Varmint bolt rifle - 308
FN-FAL 308 (shares same ammo as precision rifle)
- Pick a 9mm cleanable can like an Octane and a 308 can and you have a good all around battery.
"Trying to tax yourself into prosperity is like standing in a bucket and trying to pick yourself up by the handle." - Winston Churchill
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

I have guns for hunting, guns for plinking, guns for defense, and other guns for historical interests. I never really thought much about why I own them.
- change it back -
TROOPER
Silent But Deadly

Post by TROOPER »

The question is too vague. It was never meant to be "why are you a gun-owner?", but instead, "why did you buy that particular set of guns instead of those guns?"

Are you all over Sig but not a fan of Beretta? Do you drink GLOCK Kool-Aid? Does your moon hang over a Kimber? Why is your favorite gun chambered in that cartridge? Is it your favorite gun because of that cartridge.... or is that your favorite cartridge because of that gun?

I'm interested in the thought process behind the particular firearms that you've chosen.
a_canadian
Silent But Deadly

Post by a_canadian »

I own a Pardini K12 air pistol because when clamped in a vise it will put pellets through the same 1/4" hole all day from 10 metres, and if I'm shooting well it'll come reasonably close to doing the same for me in training and competition. It's a $2,000 tack driver. With the very simple and reliable anti-recoil mechanism (basically using a percentage of the air flow to knock a smooth tungsten cylinder rearward, compensating for the 7gr pellet moving forward at the same instant) there's zero perceived recoil, so I can hold my sights well after the shot which is very useful in analysis of what went right, or went wrong. A perfect trigger and very nice balance complete the package for me... well, almost, as the stock grip was laughable in my hand so I carved one for myself.

No one said 'no air pistols' did they? :D
KriegerWulf

Post by KriegerWulf »

Romanian AKM, built from parts kit, US barrel, and Nodak Spud receiver. Traded a Yugo SKS for the parts kit.

Will soon have a Norinco Tokarev, and I'm also working on building a semi-auto CZ-26 pistol.

As for why? No real reason. I've always liked AKs, and when the opportunity came around to put on together, I jumped.
CMV
Silent But Deadly

Post by CMV »

TROOPER wrote:I'm already looking at redundancy now. I'm very seriously considering a Savage FSVR as a suppressed, 22 platform. This annoys me, because I have a Sig 522, and I love it. I have it suppressed, but what about bolt-action suppressed? Worse, I have a Savage in 17 HMR -- how do I explain putting a piece right between these two when I'm already having a hard time justifying the 17 and the 22 rifle?

I could do it... but it means delaying one of three current goals;

Viridian laser for GLOCK 17
Appropriate optics for RFB (not received yet, STILL on order)
Long range bolt-action, which is tentatively scheduled to be a Savage 11 (the least expensive Savage in 243 that has an Accu-Trigger and Accu-Stock). That Model 11 isn't particularly expensive by itself, but I'm having a helluva time making peace with the amount of money that must be put into the glass for that rifle. I want that high magnification, but it seems that anything that ratchets up that high is blurry.... unless you pony up a small stack of Franklins.
Didn't read the whole thread - just to this point.

Anyway, check out the Nikon Monarch line for a scope. Those are all I use now and I think they are the best value in terms of price vs performance. They cost more than some, less than others, but perform very well. My highest magnification goes to 20x, others I have go to 16x, 12x, 10x, & 9x. They are all bright & crystal clear at their highest magnifications.

I have my CCW, home defense, and zombie apocalypse firearms all set. Outside of those, I have maybe 40 other firearms. I'm not particularly a fanboy or hater of any brand (save Jiminez, HiPoint, Lorcin, etc). Lots of ARs & lots of 1911's that are all "the same but different". Very similar but each has it's own nuances. I tend to buy more 9mm, .45, & .223 than other calibers just because I load those calibers in large batches so they're more economical to shoot & easier to keep fed. I probably won't buy anything else in .357SIG because I dislike loading that caliber. Same for .380 & I might get out of it entirely. Nothing against it, I just hate that the brass is hard to separate from 9mm & hate keeping it segregated (can't shoot any 9mm today because I'm shooting .380, and i have to spend extra time policing the brass so I don't accidentally pick some up next time). I don't have any Glocks because I've never shot one that felt more comfortable than other pistols I own. They don't fit ME well, but I have nothing against them. I have more Sigs, HKs, & Berettas than other brands, but 1 or 2 of very many other brands as well.
--------------------------------------

"Sorry but you cannot use search at this time. Please try again in a few minutes"
"This board is currently disabled"
These things make me :(
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

TROOPER wrote:The question is too vague. It was never meant to be "why are you a gun-owner?", but instead, "why did you buy that particular set of guns instead of those guns?"

Are you all over Sig but not a fan of Beretta? Do you drink GLOCK Kool-Aid? Does your moon hang over a Kimber? Why is your favorite gun chambered in that cartridge? Is it your favorite gun because of that cartridge.... or is that your favorite cartridge because of that gun?

I'm interested in the thought process behind the particular firearms that you've chosen.
Thank you for the clarification of your question.

Shall not go into the 'whys' of variations of Lugers, Broomhandles, Enfields, M1A1's ==> militaria history;
original German PPKs ==> quality, convenience, etc.
All above self evident.

Your echoing succinctly my feelings about plastic-elastic arms sets the context for
the two below.

.45 1911A1 NM Springfield Armory, arched housing, tuned: solid reliability, inherent accuracy that
has, does, and will always surpass my capability ... but a goal always worth striving to.

.45 1911A1 for field carry ... when one absolutely, positively, has to get home from no matter where, when,or why.
Shoulder shrug if one needs to elaborate .45 proven efficiency over "empty-whole-magazine-to-get-same-effect" 9mm.

.22 Smith & Wesson M41. Ergonomics ( Herrett Match Fitted Grips ), solidly made, many barrels interchange, accuracy exceeding my
humble ability ( especially with Ray Brandes Bully Barrel, Red Dot). Joked over the years that with a shoulder brace
it would make a fine hunting carbine.

Trajectory sports, especially with evolved technologies ( e.g., Atlatl, spears, rocks, footballs, etc. )
are embedded in a male's very Y-chromosone.
T-Rex
Silent But Deadly

Post by T-Rex »

Over the years I have made many purchases based on either LGS recommendations, friends, magazines or because they were just cool.
It's taken some time, but I have found what I like and tailor my builds and purchases to suit me.
I've owned most manufacturers pistols that aren't "custom".
Glock, Sig, HK, Beretta, Kahr, Springfield, Remington, S&W, NAA, Ruger, Taurus, Kel-Tec, DE/MR, Uzi, F&N, to name a few.
I daily carry a G23 and use a Kahr PM40 as my backup/concealed piece.
I own many AR type rifles in many, many configurations while usually grabbing a 16" carbine, scratched to death, because "I like it".
I only have a few shotguns, from single shot, Dbl bbl, O/U, pump to semi. Some old, some new, some domestic, some foreign. I have no favorite other than task dependent.
While I have rifles from many different mfrs, I have to say I'm taken by Savages. For the price, I don't think they can be beat.

This is, for the time being, my favorite

Savage SA w/ accutrigger
7.62x39 chamber
17", .308, 1:8 twist SS bbl
240gr subs @ 1005fps
SWR and ATN, because, well, why not :D
Completed Builds www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=79895
Burst Calculator www.engineersedge.com/calculators/pipe_bust_calc.htm
Silencer Porn www.instagram.com/explore/tags/silencerporn/
speed6
Senior Silent Operator

Post by speed6 »

Handguns:
a bunch of 9mm glocks. 2nd and 3rd gen 19s and 3rd gen 26s. Why: they are reliable, fairly cheap and easy to source parts and accessories for. They are also chambered in an acceptable self defense cartridge that is easy to find in sub-sonic loadings. I got these for "utility" use: EDC and SHTF self-defense.

9mm FM (argentine) browning Hi-Power clone. Why: I wanted it and kind of bought it on a whim. This is my favorite center-fire handgun. Super smooth shooting, accurate, nice trigger (compared to glocks especially with removal of mag safety), good ergonomics. Only problem is I don't have a threaded barrel for it.

ruger 22-45 MKIII with TRS-25 red-dot. Why: I wanted a 22 handgun for use with a suppressor. I LOVE this gun, one of my top three.

Rifles:

Ruger 10/22 with Leupold VX-II 3-9x40X scope: why: gift from dad and my first gun. He got it to teach me how to shoot. Dad bought it used in the early 90's and it's still going strong with ZERO problems today. I had the original barrel threaded and use it as a suppressor platform. One of my top three favorites.

Various AKM-47 clones: one of the first guns I bought for myself. Got them for SHTF use and training purposes (cheap mags and ammo and relatively long useful life). My WASR-10s have been reliable as hell, even through multiple rifle classes. They aren't one of my favorites to shoot for fun and are relegated to 2nd string use now that I have some decent AR-15s.

Colt 6940 16" AR-15. Why: bought this as an investment then decided to keep it. Good ergonomics, cheap-ish ammo (for brass-cased center fire rifle at least), cheap plentiful mags, parts and accessories. I like shooting this better than the AKs but it's not in my top 3 favorite.

S&W M&P-15 16" and 7" 9mm SBR: why: bought this as an invesment then decided to SBR it after Sandy Hook when I couldn't find any in-stock AR-15 lowers. The 16" 5.56 upper is what I use for training on the AR platform to preserve the barrel on my 6940. With the 7" 9mm upper and conversion parts it is one of my top 3 favorite guns to shoot, especially when suppressed.

Remington 700 308 W/AAC 18" barrel: why: bought this as a stock 24" lightweight profile R-700 SPS for a hunting trip to Africa. After I got back I put an AAC barrel and thompson machine suppressor on it, as well as vortex-viper optics and a rail scope base and larue QD mount. Right now I use it for plinking at longer range.

Shotguns:

Mossberg 500 20 gauge: why: bought this for hunting and shooting clay pigeons. I haven't used it for either recently unfortunatetly. Fun as hell to shoot clays with this but not in my top three cause I haven't gotten to shoot it in forever.
MattMan

Post by MattMan »

Beretta 87 -fun 22lr pistol. My dad bought it for us on my 15th Birthday

Franchi Para take down 22 rifle. Accurate little gun for plinking

Ruger 10/22 have owned many of these I remember my ffirst was $100 at wal mart.

Stevens 20g pump was my Grandpa's

Franchi 48l 20 gauge. Use to shoot trap with my dad as a kid. He bought it for me the day I was born. Great light weight gun field gun. Only 5.5 pounds but recoil action doesn't kick the snot out of you.

1942 BYF Luger 9mm excellent condition all numbers matching including both magazines, do not shoot. Gun is beautiful had to have been some desk jockey's gun cause it looks almost new never saw any action. Can only go up in value.

1939 Mauser HSC 7.65 (32acp) one of the first 3000 pistols for the German warmacht includes test proof mark on tang this also is very collectable I do not shoot it 95% all numbers matching. Myself nor the gun store I bought it from did not know the significance off the small test proof mark on the tang signifying it was an early test pistol when I bought which increases the value 200%

Sig 226 9mm threaded for my SWR Trident.

Handi Rifle single shot 357 cut down to 16" & threaded. I use 38spl with my 9mm can very quiet.

Daniel Defense AR15 limited run came with a 1:7 Lothar Walther barrel in 5.56 Shopping for a 300blk barrel to use with my Trident. Because black rifles are fun.

Glock 23 for carry.

Mosin Nagant 7.62x54R these were pretty good condition for a 80 year old piece of history could pass it up at $90 my first and only C&R purchase.

Vz58 7.62x39 they were selling these a few years back for $300ish great little rifle in medium caliber

SWD m11/9 1986 full auto 9mm includes a Lage Slow fire upper makes this little bullet hose very tame, I wish I would have know about these years ago when you could pick one up for a grand.

I don't hunt, just enjoy shooting recreationally as well as collecting if it is historically significant.