What do you think of the Ruger LCP .380

Questions and answers, photos, videos, and discussion.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

stevejobs
Silent But Deadly

Re: .

Post by stevejobs »

Wyatt9k wrote:its just that those little darn pistols (kel tecs for the most part) have somewhat sharp jagged grips that dig into your hand every time u shoot. Hey, I beat the hell out my my monkey everyday as you see, and it still is uncomfortable, so cant blame it on that :P

Damn. No dick pic please.
Davo5o
Silent But Deadly

Post by Davo5o »

:shock: I feel sorry for anything you touch with those! :shock: :lol: :lol:
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free." -Goethe
Wyatt9k
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wyatt9k »

(those arent my hands.. it was funny though, in case if someone thought that really was mine, no... mine are smooth as silk) those hands in the pic are from Turkish people who walk on their hands and feet like animals for some odd reason.
chevy01234

Post by chevy01234 »

Try the low recoil Hydrashocks out of your LCP! I carry and shoot them in mine and they have very, very little recoil!
digitspaw
Silent Operator

Post by digitspaw »

Davo5o wrote:
Mongo wrote:I have a Keltec P3AT and I use it for carry some times since ti is easy to throw into the pocket. It at least covers the first rule of gun fighting.

As for Ruger, I think they are douchebags for blatantly coping the s--t out of Keltec's design, that said Keltec should have patented their design.

The small guns in 380 are not some thing you want to shoot much. Even in what I consider a minimum defence caliber they will give a bit of a stinging recoil to some.
This is exactly what I was going to say.

F--k RUGER!

I actually have 2 P3ATs and carry one in my off side pocket all the time for a second or third gun. They are just too easy to conceal and no reason to not have one.

Again, F--k RUGER!

Tell us how you really feel. Come out of your shell and live a little.

I say the opposite. It serves Kel-Tec right for being negligent in their business practices.

Ruger makes that gun a dream so shoot and I'm planning on buying one in the near future for a BUG.

Just about 1 person in a class of 6 has an LCP. I get to shoot them during qualification at the range and they great. I had a P32 and a P3AT in the past.

Ruger's fit and finish is WAY better than Kel-Tec's, which is no real surprise.

Paw

I have a perfect body. It's in the trunk and starting to stink.

NEVADA CCW INSTRUCTOR
Wakko
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wakko »

F--k Ruger? KelTec never bothered to patent their design, and it's not a great one. I had a P3AT and dad has one. Mine never ran right, and dad's only ran right after he sent it to KelTec to get redone. Yes, the customer service is good, but I don't want to have to send it in. I bought an LCP the week it came out and broke it in with 200 rounds. I was getting 12-18" groups at 50 yards with it. Yes, 50 yards.

I dropped the the pistol on the muzzle and it didn't go off, so I wasn't concerned about the recall. I carry it in a Nemesis with a spare mag in my off pocket. Even though I like the pistol, it's getting replaced with a Kahr P380 as soon as I can find one.
Heroes never die.
ArevaloSOCOM
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by ArevaloSOCOM »

I think Ruger can Lick My Gooch.

I'd buy the Keltec on principle alone.
NFAtalk.org
Muab
Silent But Deadly

Post by Muab »

ArevaloSOCOM wrote:I think Ruger can Lick My Gooch.

I'd buy the Keltec on principle alone.
As much as you are doing with your gooch all the time it must be worn down to a little nub by now.

Oh, and your average ICU nurse is at least as tyranical and power hungry as your average cop.

Take that!

LCP? Whut?
---Something witty that makes me sound smart should be inserted here...
st33ve0
Silent But Deadly

Post by st33ve0 »

I have a P3AT with a CT grip and it fits perfect in a De Santis pocket holster, great little gun that I keep loaded with Glaser safety slugs. My dad has an LCP and the fit and finish does seem nicer, but yeah screw ruger.
smcharchan
Silent But Deadly

Post by smcharchan »

st33ve0 wrote:I have a P3AT with a CT grip and it fits perfect in a De Santis pocket holster, great little gun that I keep loaded with Glaser safety slugs. My dad has an LCP and the fit and finish does seem nicer, but yeah screw ruger.
st33ve0, why would you want to load a gun in a caliber that lacks penetration with ammo that makes the problem even worse?
st33ve0
Silent But Deadly

Post by st33ve0 »

smcharchan wrote:
st33ve0 wrote:I have a P3AT with a CT grip and it fits perfect in a De Santis pocket holster, great little gun that I keep loaded with Glaser safety slugs. My dad has an LCP and the fit and finish does seem nicer, but yeah screw ruger.
st33ve0, why would you want to load a gun in a caliber that lacks penetration with ammo that makes the problem even worse?
Because Glaser's don't usually go through more than one person and I keep a mag full of FMJ's as a spare. It's better than no gun, but I usually carry a .45 with Hydrashocks where I can get away with it.

ETA: I don't carry it to get in a firefight with people who will take cover, I carry it to shoot some dumb gangster who tries to rob me on the street. For that mission I feel it would be sufficient.
MisterWilson
Silent But Deadly

Re: .

Post by MisterWilson »

Wyatt9k wrote:its just that those little darn pistols (kel tecs for the most part) have somewhat sharp jagged grips that dig into your hand every time u shoot. Hey, I beat the hell out my my monkey everyday as you see, and it still is uncomfortable, so cant blame it on that :P
It REALLY helped to deburr my pistol & magazine further. Just take a knife & start scraping off the sharp parts.
Your Mom.
mace

Post by mace »

Stu wrote:I was going to ask how a DAO gun CAN'T have a second fire opportunity, but I guess it's striker fired right?
It's hammer fired, but the hammer gets pre-cocked by the action of the slide. The trigger pull is still long, but it's lighter than it would be otherwise.

Also, I noticed that the size of your hand makes a big difference in how comfortable it is to shoot. I have pretty small hands, and I can get two fingers around the grip easily, so I don't mind shooting it too much. But I let a buddy of mine with big hands shoot it, and he could only get one finger around the grip, which made it much harder to shoot. I guess a gun this tiny isn't for everyone.
QD
Silent Operator

Post by QD »

LCP = Little Copied Pistol
Quiet Dead
gkemper

Post by gkemper »

I've been carrying one for about 6 months on my ankle and I forget that it's there.

I use a Fobus holster which I really like.

I keep it loaded with Hornady's Critical Defense ammo.
daviscustom
Silent But Deadly

Post by daviscustom »

For those of you that don't like the recoil of these little dudes- you don't want anything to do with Buffalo Bore .380's. I got 2 boxes of the gold dot loads and they are no fun at all. I shot one box to check function in the gun (P3AT) and they are a hand full! They are supposed to come close to matching the performance of 38 spec. and all the tests I have seen are getting good penetration, but holy crap they hurt.
tmbg
Silent Operator

Post by tmbg »

for what it's worth, I was looking at the LCP, but then opted for the SIG P238 instead.

The sig is single action, recoil operated, very 1911-esque design. As such, it is MUCH more comfortable to shoot than the LCP, or even any fixed barrel .380 I've ever shot.

It's way more expensive than the LCP, but hey, I'll pay for quality.
TigWiz
Silent But Deadly

Post by TigWiz »

Not many people realize this, but KAHR makes a VERY nice little 380 called the P380. Being that it is a Kahr it is more expensive that your typical pocket pistol, but the quality justifies the cost.

doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

stevejobs wrote:
Davo5o wrote:Yah.

It's between your ears.
har har har

I take it that's a no.
I believe there is a hammer block safety which is decent protection from drops but there is no thumb safety or asinine grip safety or ninja style trigger safety. Safeties like those belong on hunting weapons not defense weapons IMO.

Outside of that it's basically the same gun as the P3AT with a manual slide lock, MANY parts are interchangeable.

Bob's pocket gun chart is up to date with comparisons between nearly anything ... well, small enough to fit in a pocket.

http://www.mouseguns.com/PocketAutoComparison.pdf

I put a laser on my P3AT just to make me feel better at the range, I don't consider the laser to be much value in a SD situation ... the P3AT is basically a 7 shot taser as far as I'm concerned. That said, below are some pictures of what I was able to do with it off-hand on a trip to the range. Yes, I can probably tighten up the 30ft and 45ft groups with practice but I'm really only interested in 0-10ft results with this gun.

Clickety-Pop for BIGGER

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

TigWiz wrote:Not many people realize this, but KAHR makes a VERY nice little 380 called the P380. Being that it is a Kahr it is more expensive that your typical pocket pistol, but the quality justifies the cost.
I don't think it is any higher quality than the Ruger and it is 2.5x the cost. I figure the Kahr is expensive because the company is smaller but what I don't get is why people buy them when you can get a more serious pistol like a Sig for less.
texjames
Silent But Deadly

Post by texjames »

I was at Academy yesterday looking fo ammo and saw they had a LCP for $319.99 so i bought it.Was cheaper out the door then online ads i been looking at.Took it home and cleaned it, out to the range and shot it.
It has one very long trigger pull but shoots good and pretty accurate.
28 rds was all i wanted to shoot as sorta gets painfull.It will be a CCW in hot weather under a T-Shirt in a Crossbreed mini tuck.I like it.Now to try and find some Hornady Critical Defense ammo.
Primary when wearing a jacket or coat...G33
Last edited by texjames on Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
trey_phish83
Silent But Deadly

Post by trey_phish83 »

bought mine, cost me 172 bucks, think i might buy another for my other pocket haha
Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women.
GoJohnnyGo
Silent But Deadly

Post by GoJohnnyGo »

tmbg wrote:for what it's worth, I was looking at the LCP, but then opted for the SIG P238 instead.

The sig is single action, recoil operated, very 1911-esque design. As such, it is MUCH more comfortable to shoot than the LCP, or even any fixed barrel .380 I've ever shot.

It's way more expensive than the LCP, but hey, I'll pay for quality.
These are my thought exactly. As far as shooting none of the other pocket .380s can touch the Sig. It is more expensive but I actually enjoy shooting it so I get practice and pleasure from it. I'd rather spend $450 on a gun that I like to shoot than $300 for a pistol that makes me cringe everytime I pull the trigger. Also, I carried a P3-AT for 6 months before I got the Sig and can say there is no appreciable difference in how they feel. I use IWB and pocket carry depending on the situation.
Rob
Elite Member

Post by Rob »

I've never even remotely been close to considering a Keltec or LCP. For the very rare occasion that I cannot carry my G22 all day long, I carry my Interarms import Walther PPK/S. I like the Sig P238, but I really like double action for a carry gun, particularly one that rides in a pocket.

Other than slightly smaller size and lighter weight, is there a reason to consider a Keltec or Ruger over my Walther?

Rob
crang11
Silent Operator

Re: What do you think of the Ruger LCP .380

Post by crang11 »

My EDC is a NAA Guardian 380. I got to shoot the Ruger a week ago and my groups were cut in half. Trigger was much better as was recoil. 14lb trigger on the Guardian. Made me realize I should deep six the NAA- but probably go with a Kahr 9mm instead for the size, weight and trigger.
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v112/crang11/?action=view&current=ridecowboy.gif