HK USP or SIG P220?

Questions and answers, photos, videos, and discussion.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

FB3
Silent But Deadly

HK USP or SIG P220?

Post by FB3 »

I am going to get one of these for my Ti-Rant that is due in the next batch from Major.

I am not familiar with the HK and wonder how it compares to the SIG. Any comments and suggestions appreciated.

Will post this in the SIG forum also.
chrismartin
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by chrismartin »

Generally speaking, the Sig will have a better trigger.
The problem I have with the HKs is the high bore and mediocre trigger.
The HK tends to have more muzzle flip for me than other guns.
They have higher capacity magazines though and work very well.
The P220 is a nice gun all around, my only "issue" is lower capacity (8 rounds vs. 12-13 for a similar sized glock, HK, XD)

I really want to get a P220 SAO.
FB3
Silent But Deadly

Post by FB3 »

Thanks for the reply. I have had 1911's for years and also a few SIGS, but no HK's. I just found a new SIG 220 Elite Dark with factory threaded barrel, so that is what I will get.
chrismartin
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by chrismartin »

FB3 wrote:Thanks for the reply. I have had 1911's for years and also a few SIGS, but no HK's. I just found a new SIG 220 Elite Dark with factory threaded barrel, so that is what I will get.
I'd jump on that over the HK too. the P220 is closer to a 1911 anyway, so it'll feel a bit more like something you already know.
RamblinMan
Silent But Deadly

Post by RamblinMan »

You made a great choice. Given your options, you couldn't go wrong. If you ever get an HK, I would recommend one of the models with the o-ring in a groove around the barrel to snug up the barrel and slide. The USP Elite, Expert, and Tactical all come with it (I think). I am partial to the Expert which has a long slide and a better trigger.

With this pistol I can dependably knock over a steel silhouette six inches in diameter from a hundred yards in a standing position. That's not my normal choice for fun at the range, but it gives me an idea of just how accurate a particular pistol can be. With a P220 Sport I can make the same shot, but I miss more.

Another noteworthy thing about this HK is that it has had thousands of rounds through it and has never jammed, not even once.

Functionally, as far as reloading and general manipulation of the firearm by the operator goes, I prefer the Sig.

They are both great guns. Most pistols don't even come close to that kind of performance... at least not in my hands.

Edit: I thought a picture of the o-ring would be in order.
Edit: Fixed a typo.

Last edited by RamblinMan on Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
[img]http://i752.photobucket.com/albums/xx167/RamblinManPB/General/TS.jpg[/img]
FB3
Silent But Deadly

Post by FB3 »

Ramblinman,

Thanks much for the information and pictures. I have never owned a HK, but I have been interested in them for a while. Perhaps when the finances recover, my next pistol will be one of those.
RamblinMan
Silent But Deadly

Post by RamblinMan »

You're welcome. I'm a variety kind of guy, too.
[img]http://i752.photobucket.com/albums/xx167/RamblinManPB/General/TS.jpg[/img]
MichaelVain
Senior Silent Operator

Post by MichaelVain »

The USP45 Tactical is a very good choice for suppression. The sights are taller to accommodate a suppressor, looking at the SIG 220 Elite Dark, I'm not sure if your front sight is tall enough to go over one.

The USP45T also comes with a match trigger. While it's not a SIG trigger, it's considerably better than a standard USP trigger. The Match trigger allows you to set the overtravel which is a nice function.

I would encourage you to get one after your SIG.
FB3
Silent But Deadly

Post by FB3 »

I am definitely interested in the USP .45 Tactical. Any pros or cons on the compact vs standard? I prefer the compact, but am interested in informed opinions.

Thanks!
malysh
Senior Silent Operator

Post by malysh »

I've had a SIG P220 for years, and also a USP(F) 40 cal.

Two years ago I bought an HK USP 45 CT with the raised Novak night sights. I use a CCF 45acp suppressor on it and it's a great set up.

BTW: the compact tatical HK also uses the O ring around the barrel.

What I like about the USP vs. the SIG is that the USP has a frame mounted safety which can be set up for lefties or righties. In variation 3(can't remember for sure) you have the option of carrying the gun with a loaded chamber, cocked with the safety on just like a M-1911.
I carry both my HKs in this mode to take advantage of the single action/safety choice. This set up also allows you to safely lower the cocked hammer with a loaded chamber because the safety lever is also a decocker and it works the same as a SIG decocker.

My CT has never jammed with or without the suppressor attached, and it's very accurate. It's small enough to carry albeit it's blocky and heavy to some folks. I got a great carry holster for it from Greg Kramer Handgun leather that can be used with the tall sights. The holster is an IWB #2.

HTH
Malysh
RGraff

Re: HK USP or SIG P220?

Post by RGraff »

I currently carry the USP Tactical both on duty and off. I've carried Sigs, 1911s, Glocks and Smiths and I can honestly say this HK is hands down the most reliable and accurate pistol I've ever carried. But it's not perfect. One complaint is that their accessory rail is proprietary. Not a deal breaker for me as adapters are available but a problem none the less. Another issue I have is that a fully loaded magazine takes a concerted effort to "lock in", requiring a stout pressure. I've talked with other owners and this doesn't appear to be unique to my pistol.

Other than those two issues I have no complaints and look forward to buying more in the future.
silencertalk
Site Admin

Re:

Post by silencertalk »

chrismartin wrote:I really want to get a P220 SAO.
I don't get this term. How does a SAO differ from a SA?
chrismartin
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Re: Re:

Post by chrismartin »

silencertalk wrote:
chrismartin wrote:I really want to get a P220 SAO.
I don't get this term. How does a SAO differ from a SA?
I would say that it differentiates the trigger from something like the HK USP/USPc v9 trigger, which is SA with safety, but still retains double action for second strike. So, even though there is no (safe) way to de-cock the hammer and it is SA, it is NOT SAO. The 1911 and P220 are SAO which the HK is SA/DA (backwards DA/SA) but no real easy way to get to the DA without a malfunction.

All of the above, though is just a bit of a justification for using the term.

Without thinking about it, I was just using Sig's designation of Single Action Only. Their part number is P220-45-blahlbahblah-SAO, so I've seen most people use SAO, at least when speaking of the sigs on the sigforum and such.

You also run into the same problem with the pre-tensioned double action triggers like the LEM and DAK which use their marketing names to differentiate them from their traditional DAO triggers.

Also, I bought one last month. They have a good deal going on at CDNN for both the compact P220 and full sized P220 with the SAO trigger. It is a very nice .45.