why is my first shot loud

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

alan458

why is my first shot loud

Post by alan458 »

I just got my versa 50 for my 458 socom the first shot is loud and some powders are much louder than others , why is this ? O2 maybe ? I can fill it up with spray dust remover and all is good on the first shot . I don't have to do this for my blackout with the SDN6 so why on the socom?
alan458

Re: why is my first shot loud

Post by alan458 »

sorry I should have asked , why the first shot with a 560gr @950 fps using a fast burning powder be loud and the rest be quiet
a_canadian
Silent But Deadly

Post by a_canadian »

Seems like you've answered your own question with the mention of O2. Of course the other variables between baffle designs and spacing, can dimensions, ammunition used, barrel lengths etc all play a role. So it seems the particular setup with this can makes for a lot of O2 being burned up on your first shot, so loud FRP. Either carry on spraying a non-combustible aerosol into it before shooting, or change some other variable. Perhaps drill a Dater hole in the blast baffle if there isn't one? No idea if that'd work, it's just a thought.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

a_canadian wrote:Seems like you've answered your own question with the mention of O2. Of course the other variables between baffle designs and spacing, can dimensions, ammunition used, barrel lengths etc all play a role. So it seems the particular setup with this can makes for a lot of O2 being burned up on your first shot, so loud FRP. Either carry on spraying a non-combustible aerosol into it before shooting, or change some other variable. Perhaps drill a Dater hole in the blast baffle if there isn't one? No idea if that'd work, it's just a thought.
Just adding a Dater hole to a baffle more often than not makes it louder.
alan458

Post by alan458 »

thanks i thought that was it . but i would had thought that all powder burnt up in 4" it would not do that . but 16" of .458" barrel and 11" of can does hold a lot of air . so a can of inert gas it is .
Rich V
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Rich V »

alan458 wrote:thanks i thought that was it . but i would had thought that all powder burnt up in 4" it would not do that . but 16" of .458" barrel and 11" of can does hold a lot of air . so a can of inert gas it is .
Most smokeless powders are under oxidized. Even when all powder is consumed the resulting gas is flammable. When it mixes with air in a confined space you get secondary burning and an increase in pressure.
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

Most of the quiet 45 caliber suppressed carbines have suppressors of 50ci internal volume or so according to Paulson.A smear of shooters choice grease or lithium on the rear baffle will make your FRP problems go away!.
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
alan458

Post by alan458 »

I talked to Bowers and he said 1teaspoon of water will fix it . And it does :D
Thanks everyone
hardcase
Silent But Deadly

Post by hardcase »

What little experience with suppressors I've had indicates that the larger bore firearms are not as silent relative to the smaller bore firearms. I was surprised at the difference between even a 9 mm subsonic and a .45.