Kinda new to the whole, thing. GM-45.

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

cotex133

Kinda new to the whole, thing. GM-45.

Post by cotex133 »

I bought the can with a thread pitch count of .578 x 28.
Started to assemble parts for a ar-9. Pistol lower, 9 bolt, side charge handle, Kaw Valley Konza KeyMod Hand Guard with I.D. of 1.65", the can fits underneath really nice. 4.5" 9 barrel w/ 1/2 x 36 thread.
Assuming that the package was marked and sold properly I then bought an adapter, 1/2 x 36 to 5/8 x 28, al good, right.?
Go to assemble last night, waited 6 months for everything to come together. inside guts are stamped 16m x 1.
I do not have any other threaded barrels on the other possible 6 to 7 hosts I have 9's and 45's
WTF
Gun store sold in the interm.
Would Gemtech exchange do you think or am I going to have hundreds of dollar of adapters just for one silencer?
I feel like a thread pitch count expert now from the research I've done in the past 48 hours.
What are my options

Tex
CanOfWhooppass
Silent But Deadly

Re: Kinda new to the whole, thing. GM-45.

Post by CanOfWhooppass »

First, 5/8-28 and .578-28 are not the same.

Second, a 9mm AR should use a direct thread, not a piston, unless you are replacing the spring with a fixed spaced adapter.

If your barrel is 1/2-36, you would want a direct thread mount or piston and spacer for 1/2-36.

Adapters can cause many problems, use with caution.

Strongly suggest you call Gemtech and talk through your needs.
It's not a silencer, it's a can of whoopass!
ECCO Machine
Silent But Deadly

Post by ECCO Machine »

CanOfWhooppass wrote:First, 5/8-28 and .578-28 are not the same.

Second, a 9mm AR should use a direct thread, not a piston, unless you are replacing the spring with a fixed spaced adapter.

If your barrel is 1/2-36, you would want a direct thread mount or piston and spacer for 1/2-36.

Adapters can cause many problems, use with caution.

Strongly suggest you call Gemtech and talk through your needs.
This.

If the piston is still something that can be sold as new, I'd imagine someone will exchange, but you don't want to use recoil boosters on fixed barrel carbines.

cotex133 wrote:I bought the can with a thread pitch count of .578 x 28...........1/2 x 36 to 5/8 x 28, al good, right.?.........I feel like a thread pitch count expert now from the research I've done in the past 48 hours.
Since, as COW noted, you've conflated 5/8" with .578", which is actually 37/64", I'd say continue that research. There are Unified standard pitches, ISO standard pitches, and then there's everything else. Muzzle threads are a hodge podge of UNF, UNEF, ISO/MEF and several oddballs.
FFL07/02SOT Gunsmith & Machinist
Cosmokramer

Post by Cosmokramer »

.578 is standard for 45 acp threads so that should be good for your 45 hosts. You would need 1/2 by 28 thread adapter from Gemtech ($85) or your 9 mm (and 22 for that matter) threaded barrels. If you shoot pistols that having a moving barrel (45 and 9mm), you will need a piston, but for your personal defense weapon/pistol caliber carbine/AR set ups, you don’t need/can’t use the piston and either use direct thread or quick detach set up. If you want to shoot 300 blackout, that will be a 5/8 x 24 thread adapter. Clear as mud. Here’s an article on commonly threaded barrels: https://www.silencershop.com/blog/post/ ... -reference

Yes the adapters/pistons/fixed adapters can be confusing, and get spendy if you want them adapter to everything under the sun, but overall getting your 45 suppressor was the most versatile and least expensive option.
gsyoung54
Silent But Deadly

Post by gsyoung54 »

Strongly suggest that you sell your GM-45 for whatever you can get for it and buy a Liberty Mystic X, or a Cosmic (more versatile, has a core hole big enough for .45), an AAC Tirant 9M or 45M (again, more versatile as it, is designed for .45 but easily and efficiently shoots 9mm), a Rugged Obsidian 9 or 45.. both of which are modular, there are others.

In my humble opinion the GM-45 is the worst performing suppressor in the world. When shot dry it actually hurts my ears. Only packed full of synthetic grease or wire pull gel or any of the suppressor foams like "Dog Slobber" or Seal One spray foam CLP does it work for a limited amount of time. If you are stuck on Gemtech get their Lunar 45 baffle stack can. Gemtech did not get the technology right on their monocores except for the excellent Mist series of 10-22 suppressors and possibly the GM-22, but quiet .22 cans are plentiful...
George from Alaska