Deadair sandman S / Fake can?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

1096369fred
Senior Silent Operator

Deadair sandman S / Fake can?

Post by 1096369fred »

Hey Guys,

I am not sure if this is a hair brained d thought or if it has been considered before..... But.....
I just sent the paperwork away on a New Sandman S, which I plan on using on a 300 blackout AR pistol and on a 5.56 AR pistol.....

Here is my question..... I'm running the can under Seekins handguards to shorten AOL and plan on
Using the dead air muzzle breaks..... Does anyon make a fake can that would work with the Deadair brake, or if not directly, mount it to a replacement real Deadair device, that would then mount to the muzzle device..... So that I could use the pistol without the suppressor in place.....

I guess I could remove the handguard, remove the muzzle brake, and directly thread a fake can on the
Barrel..... But pulling the hand guards is kinda a pain.... Which is why I went with the Sandman!

Sorry If I am not very clear!

Thanks!
Fred
quiettime
Silent But Deadly

Re: Deadair sandman S / Fake can?

Post by quiettime »

It could be done by someone with a lathe but you really need the ring and spring that go on the end of the can (locking pieces). It's probably not worth it, just wait for your can
1096369fred
Senior Silent Operator

Post by 1096369fred »

Yeah, I guess I will cool my jets..... But it would be an interesting project/business for someone to
Make fake cans that worked with the mounts of the most popular cans....

I'm doing an end run around the issue untill my Deadair gets out of jail..... I am going to convert my Silencerco Omega to the Deadair mount system....(I was never crazy about the Silencerco ASR mount anyway!) it is a little pricy.... But being able to switch can to can from host to host makes sense to me..... I did pick up a couple of direct thread fake cans in 1/2x28 and 5/8x24.... Just in case I want to use the two pistols without a suppressor.

Thanks!
Fred
quiettime
Silent But Deadly

Post by quiettime »

1096369fred wrote: I'm doing an end run around the issue untill my Deadair gets out of jail..... I am going to convert my Silencerco Omega to the Deadair mount system....(I was never crazy about the Silencerco ASR mount anyway!) it is a little pricy.... But being able to switch can to can from host to host makes sense .
Fred
Winning!

This will also allow you to do a direct head to head comparo of the Omega and Sandman, which I'm sure we'll all be looking forward to...
quiettime
Silent But Deadly

Post by quiettime »

BTW you're going to love the Key mount system, to more I use mine the more I love it!
1096369fred
Senior Silent Operator

Post by 1096369fred »

quiettime wrote:
1096369fred wrote: I'm doing an end run around the issue untill my Deadair gets out of jail..... I am going to convert my Silencerco Omega to the Deadair mount system....(I was never crazy about the Silencerco ASR mount anyway!) it is a little pricy.... But being able to switch can to can from host to host makes sense .
Fred
Winning!

This will also allow you to do a direct head to head comparo of the Omega and Sandman, which I'm sure we'll all be looking forward to...

That sounds like a deal! I am interested in seeing how they compair..... But I did get the sandman primarily to use on 5.56.... Just couldn't see jumping through the hoops, for a dedicated 5.56 can. I'm hopping ATF gets its act together and speeds up approval times.... Hope Springs Eternal!
quiettime
Silent But Deadly

Post by quiettime »

. I'm hopping ATF gets its act together and speeds up approval times.... Hope Springs Eternal!
No one in the Federal Government is in a hurry to do anything. Everyone makes jokes about this but until you work for them you cannot understand just how true it is.

A good dedicated 5.56 can is a wonderful thing but for the recreational user it's really just for kicks. Head to head testing of my Recce 7 and Recce 5 showed me the main difference was slightly different tone. I'm quite sure the 5 is quieter but not really at the shooters ear. But the REAL differenve is in the slightly shorter length and lighter weight which would be a boon to the working shooter or competitor
fishman
Silent But Deadly

Post by fishman »

quiettime wrote:But the REAL differenve is in the slightly shorter length and lighter weight which would be a boon to the working shooter or competitor
...or hunter
300 blackout form 1: http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=137293

5.56 form 1:
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=141800&p=955647#p955647