storing a suppressed weapon?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Re: storing a suppressed weapon?

Post by Bendersquint »

Broken11B wrote:
Bendersquint wrote:
Broken11B wrote:When storing the rifle muzzle down, are the guys that do this suspending the rifles, say from the buttstock, so the weight of the rifle isn't supported by the suppressor, or does it matter?
Doesn't matter, just firing the gun is throwing more force on the threads than your 8 lb gun.

If your barrel can't handle that you shouldn't be shooting it!
Well, I never had any questions or misgivings about weapons storage before this thread. Always went with the: you shoot it, you clean it, you store it method, but I figure asking a simple question is easier than replacing thousands of dollars worth of stuff, even if it does make me look like a window licker in the process.
Nah, perhaps a plate licker but not windows. ;)

Better to ask a question than to pull out the wallet for a new part.
nice shot
Silent But Deadly

Post by nice shot »

All my guns have the suppressors on them. I break the threads after shooting, wipe them clean, make sure the barrel is clean and put the rifle / pistol away in the safe. I run a dehumidifier. . . worry free at my place.
YHM 7.62 Phantom QD
T.I. Stratus .22
AAC Eco-9
YHM15 SBR (pending)
Unobtanium
Silent But Deadly

Post by Unobtanium »

I spoke with SureFire about this. I was told that this is a non-issue and that after I clean my weapon and the blast chamber to assure it doesn't become carbon welded on, I can happily store it "assembled" with no issue what-so-ever.

I assume that if this WERE an issue with a "chamber" causing "condensation" then my barrel, gas-tube, gas-key, gas-block, and bolt/carrier would be FUBAR already, anyway.

How did this myth get started?
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

Unobtanium wrote:I spoke with SureFire about this. I was told that this is a non-issue and that after I clean my weapon and the blast chamber to assure it doesn't become carbon welded on, I can happily store it "assembled" with no issue what-so-ever.

I assume that if this WERE an issue with a "chamber" causing "condensation" then my barrel, gas-tube, gas-key, gas-block, and bolt/carrier would be FUBAR already, anyway.

Its not a myth at the very least you should have the breech open for ventilation.Our MP5SDs did not get cleaned every day,we stored the weapons with the bolt held open with a safety flag or a spent shell.It was done to allow ventilation of gases and evaporation of any moisture.I have and always will follow the Navy's directive on this.Non suppressed weapons were not stored like that.
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
pneumagger
Silent But Deadly

Post by pneumagger »

Clean well and then lubricate with a suitable water-displacing lubricant and there should be no issues. I don't see how it would be an issue unless you live on a houseboat, store your guns in the bathroom cabinet, or do something else abusive. Humidity in a house is generally rather low to be worried about any sort of condensation. If you're that paranoid about it, just leave the action open so humidity can escape.

The only thing thing you should worry about when storing a weapon with a silencer attached is getting a bigger pillow to put on top of it. :mrgreen:
I reject your truths and substitute my own realities
Unobtanium
Silent But Deadly

Post by Unobtanium »

Capt. Link. wrote:
Unobtanium wrote:I spoke with SureFire about this. I was told that this is a non-issue and that after I clean my weapon and the blast chamber to assure it doesn't become carbon welded on, I can happily store it "assembled" with no issue what-so-ever.

Its not a myth at the very least you should have the breech open for ventilation.Our MP5SDs did not get cleaned every day,we stored the weapons with the bolt held open with a safety flag or a spent shell.It was done to allow ventilation of gases and evaporation of any moisture.I have and always will follow the Navy's directive on this.Non suppressed weapons were not stored like that.
My SOP is to clean my suppressor with foaming bore cleaner, then to wash it out with soap and water. This prevents the build-up of copper or other such on the mounting surfaces, and may/may not clean the guts just a little. However, the main reason is to get rid of all of the junk in the can that you are worried about. I then bake it in my oven at 250*F while I go do something else. By the time it goes on the rifle, it's clean and bone dry.

OCD? Maybe, but it's a $1400 can going on a $2500 rifle, so I feel justified.

Further, is this just how the military did it, or did you see an MP5SD injured because someone didn't do it?
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Unobtanium wrote:
Capt. Link. wrote:

My SOP is to clean my suppressor with foaming bore cleaner, then to wash it out with soap and water. This prevents the build-up of copper or other such on the mounting surfaces, and may/may not clean the guts just a little. However, the main reason is to get rid of all of the junk in the can that you are worried about. I then bake it in my oven at 250*F while I go do something else. By the time it goes on the rifle, it's clean and bone dry.

OCD? Maybe, but it's a $1400 can going on a $2500 rifle, so I feel justified.

Further, is this just how the military did it, or did you see an MP5SD injured because someone didn't do it?
The military does this and yes I have seen "injured" cans because of this issue.
Capt. Link.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Capt. Link. »

Code: Select all

The military does this and yes I have seen "injured" cans because of this issue.
Military doctrine is born in blood as they say in most cases all that is needed is a oiled patch and a drop of oil or grease to keep a weapon in perfect condition.Keeping your bolt ajar is advice that was given to me by my uncle and he has experience.
The only reason after 243 years the government now wants to disarm you is they intend to do something you would shoot them for!
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
66427vette
Silent But Deadly

Post by 66427vette »

Any of you guys clean the mufflers on your cars or trucks?
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

66427vette wrote:Any of you guys clean the mufflers on your cars or trucks?
Oh good lord not this argument again, please tell me you arent saying this about cleaning a silencer.
66427vette
Silent But Deadly

Post by 66427vette »

JK :) Most take cleaning way to far. More idiots screw things up by over / improper cleaning methods be it guns or cans.
Broken11B
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Broken11B »

If my muffler rusts out I can easily buy a new one for sixty bucks with no wait period and federal approval. If I can do some preventative maintenance or take some precautionary steps to protect my investment, I'll do it, no matter what other people think.

However, I have had no problems with the "shoot it, clean it, store it" method.