Threaded barrels on handguns will be prohibited w/Obama g.c.

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

OJB4
Silent But Deadly

Re: Threaded barrels on handguns will be prohibited w/Obama

Post by OJB4 »

GatoMontes wrote:
Thanks for the info. I am aware that a ban (if it happens) will take time, but since I assumed when I purchased my cans that actually getting the can would be the time consuming part I didn't much worry about getting hosts for any of them (just hate to end up stuck with my pants down and have cans but no guns). Guess it's time to start researching what I need to make current guns silencer ready and find guns for the other cans. Like you said.....I might as well get in line. Since at this rate I'll have Form 4's for silencers getting approved and not have something to put them on. This is how my luck tends to go in life.
HA! Well, at least I'm not alone. Same exact God damned situation.

See you in line buddy. :lol:

So YOU'RE the reason everything is outta stock!!!! You jackass!!!! HA HA.....I"m just kidding here.....just trying to find something to laugh at in a situation like this. Doesn't this suck????? You figure that, hell, it takes so long to get a can that I'll get a crap load of them and as I wait for approval I'll pick up a host here and a threaded barrel there.......Only to have a trajedy like this strike and silencers come in before threaded barrels......To have threaded barrels become unavailable and have tons of cans without any hosts would likely kill me!

I don't even know where to start when it comes to getting threaded barrels and hosts......I'm pulling my hair out. I'm thinking of getting barrels now and trying to find pistols for them later......I can't see myself being able to afford new guns for all these cans I have on order that come with factory threaded barrels.
I've gotta stop this habit.
jgunner69

Post by jgunner69 »

GreyHammer wrote:Wanted to remind our younger readers that threaded barrels on handguns were probibited on semi-automatic handguns with the expired AWB, any you can bet the new law (we won't be able to stop it) will contain that language. I would move to purchase this week, because there will be a panic after Christmas.

As a reminder to our older readers and to stem the BS panic buying of threaded barrels, threaded handguns most certainly WERE NOT banned during the '94 to '04 AWB. The rule was if the gun had a detachable magazine, it had to have TWO of the following additional features to be considered an "Assault Weapon":

`(i) an ammunition magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of the pistol grip;

`(ii) a threaded barrel capable of accepting a barrel extender, flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer;

`(iii) a shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel and that permits the shooter to hold the firearm with the nontrigger hand without being burned;

`(iv) a manufactured weight of 50 ounces or more when the pistol is unloaded; and

`(v) a semiautomatic version of an automatic firearm;

So if you have regular semi-auto handgun, sig/glock/m&p etc, with a threaded barrel, the threaded barrel counted as ONE "evil" feature. So long as the gun didn't have a second "evil" feature, you'd be ok. And if you see from the list of "evil" features, I'm betting virtually no one will have a second....well, maybe if you are trying to thread an AR pistol. But other than that, the vast majority of threaded handguns will be fine.

You'd have to have a threaded barrel on a TEC-9 or something with a mag outside the grip, a semi-auto Glock 18 (originally fully auto), Desert Eagle (weight over 50 oz), or a foregrip for it to be classified as an "assault weapon".

SEC. 110102 b. 30. c.
http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/F?c ... 9d:e644150:
GreyHammer
Silent Operator

Post by GreyHammer »

"Semi-automatic pistols with detachable magazines and two or more evil features" -
Here's the problem: sound suppressors are considered flash hiders + 1
Threaded barrel +1
That's two and the hangun applies to AWB perview.

Say it ain't so, Sam!
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

jgunner69 wrote:
GreyHammer wrote:Wanted to remind our younger readers that threaded barrels on handguns were probibited on semi-automatic handguns with the expired AWB, any you can bet the new law (we won't be able to stop it) will contain that language. I would move to purchase this week, because there will be a panic after Christmas.

As a reminder to our older readers and to stem the BS panic buying of threaded barrels, threaded handguns most certainly WERE NOT banned during the '94 to '04 AWB. The rule was if the gun had a detachable magazine, it had to have TWO of the following additional features to be considered an "Assault Weapon":

`(i) an ammunition magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of the pistol grip;

`(ii) a threaded barrel capable of accepting a barrel extender, flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer;

`(iii) a shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel and that permits the shooter to hold the firearm with the nontrigger hand without being burned;

`(iv) a manufactured weight of 50 ounces or more when the pistol is unloaded; and

So if you have regular semi-auto handgun, sig/glock/m&p etc, with a threaded barrel, the threaded barrel counted as ONE "evil" feature. So long as the gun didn't have a second "evil" feature, you'd be ok. And if you see from the list of "evil" features, I'm betting virtually no one will have a second....well, maybe if you are trying to thread an AR pistol. But other than that, the vast majority of threaded handguns will be fine.

You'd have to have a threaded barrel on a TEC-9 or something with a mag outside the grip, a semi-auto Glock 18 (originally fully auto), Desert Eagle (weight over 50 oz), or a foregrip for it to be classified as an "assault weapon".

SEC. 110102 b. 30. c.
http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/F?c ... 9d:e644150:
Yes, this is accurate but if you have read what has put out about the new ban they haven't said anything about a FEATURE COUNT. It just says threaded barrel.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

GreyHammer wrote:"Semi-automatic pistols with detachable magazines and two or more evil features" -
Threaded barrel +1

Say it ain't so, Sam!
They didn't count the installation of a silencer as a counted evil item.

Your example would be....

Handgun with detachable magazine and a threaded barrel(+1)

Only counted as one. The method of attachment was the evil part.
jgunner69

Post by jgunner69 »

Bendersquint wrote:
Yes, this is accurate but if you have read what has put out about the new ban they haven't said anything about a FEATURE COUNT. It just says threaded barrel.

And what was put out about a new ban? I have been following this VERY closely and the only thing so far verbal or in writing was Feinstein's quote that there WILL be a grandfather clause. She was explicit in her wording:

“I’m going to introduce in the Senate and the same bill will be introduced in the House, a bill to ban assault weapons. It will ban the sale, the transfer, the importation and the possession. Not retroactively but prospectively."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the ... in-senate/

Other than that, I haven't read or heard any specifics. If you have a source, please post. I'd be curious to see/hear it.
jgunner69

Post by jgunner69 »

GreyHammer wrote:"Semi-automatic pistols with detachable magazines and two or more evil features" -
Threaded barrel +1

Say it ain't so, Sam!

As posted above, attachments on handguns were never considered "evil features" that count toward the max of 2. You are confusing the rifle provision with the handgun part. You can read the distinction between rifle and handgun "evil features" here:

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d103:H.R.3355:
Text of Legislation > 6. H.R.3355.ENR > Title XI Subtitle A:

`(B) a semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least 2 of--

`(i) a folding or telescoping stock;

`(ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;

`(iii) a bayonet mount;

`(iv) a flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor; and

`(v) a grenade launcher;

`(C) a semiautomatic pistol that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least 2 of--

Last edited by jgunner69 on Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:11 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

jgunner69 wrote:
Bendersquint wrote:

And what was put out about a new ban? I have been following this VERY closely and the only thing so far verbal or in writing was Feinstein's quote that there WILL be a grandfather clause. She was explicit in her wording:

“I’m going to introduce in the Senate and the same bill will be introduced in the House, a bill to ban assault weapons. It will ban the sale, the transfer, the importation and the possession. Not retroactively but prospectively."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the ... in-senate/

Other than that, I haven't read or heard any specifics. If you have a source, please post. I'd be curious to see/hear it.
I saw a link a day or 2 ago that had the wording as it stands right now for the ban, the full list and the explanations. There was nothing in it that said a feature count. It was worded simply. The bad gun, that is a semi auto with a detachable magazine and ANY of the following features. Listed all the features of the last ban. Unlike the previous ban said, and any 2 features...
jgunner69

Post by jgunner69 »

Bendersquint wrote:
I saw a link a day or 2 ago that had the wording as it stands right now for the ban, the full list and the explanations. There was nothing in it that said a feature count. It was worded simply. The bad gun, that is a semi auto with a detachable magazine and ANY of the following features. Listed all the features of the last ban. Unlike the previous ban said, and any 2 features...
Even Massachusetts has a "2 count" for evil features so I suspect that the worst they would do is allow 2, not restrict it to 1. I know that California has the incredibly restrictive 1 count but anyone that thinks language like California's AWB will get through a a roughly 233 to 200 Republican majority house, is smoking some really good s--t. Now if the democrats gain a shitload of seats in 2014, that's a different matter. But for now, I think we are very safe with regard to handgun threaded barrels.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

jgunner69 wrote:
Bendersquint wrote:
Even Massachusetts has a "2 count" for evil features so I suspect that the worst they would do is allow 2, not restrict it to 1. I know that California has the incredibly restrictive 1 count but anyone that thinks language like California's AWB will get through a a roughly 233 to 200 Republican majority house, is smoking some really good s--t. Now if the democrats gain a shitload of seats in 2014, that's a different matter. But for now, I think we are very safe with regard to handgun threaded barrels.
Yes California allows pistols with 19 round mag capacity!
jgunner69

Post by jgunner69 »

Bendersquint wrote:
jgunner69 wrote:
Bendersquint wrote:
Yes California allows pistols with 19 round mag capacity!
You lost me there...what does that sentence mean?