Help on keeping threads clean

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

glg20

Help on keeping threads clean

Post by glg20 »

I own a SWR Spectre (not the II) and have three rifles and one pistol host that range anywhere from .400 to .600 thread length. When I shoot one of the .400 host, about .200 of the thread get carboned up inside the end cap. Will high temp anti seize help reduce or elimnate this? Also any future host, should I have the gunsmith do .600 thread job?

CZ 452 22lr with hotrod9mm adapter
CZ 455 22 mag shortened to 17 and .600 threads
Ruger 22 Tactical
Ruger 22/45 MKIII TB
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Re: Help on keeping threads clean

Post by Bendersquint »

glg20 wrote:I own a SWR Spectre (not the II) and have three rifles and one pistol host that range anywhere from .400 to .600 thread length. When I shoot one of the .400 host, about .200 of the thread get carboned up inside the end cap. Will high temp anti seize help reduce or elimnate this? Also any future host, should I have the gunsmith do .600 thread job?

Ruger 22 Tactical
Ruger 22/45 MKIII TB
wire brush and hoppes!
glg20

Post by glg20 »

Bendersquint wrote:
glg20 wrote:I own a SWR Spectre (not the II) and have three rifles and one pistol host that range anywhere from .400 to .600 thread length. When I shoot one of the .400 host, about .200 of the thread get carboned up inside the end cap. Will high temp anti seize help reduce or elimnate this? Also any future host, should I have the gunsmith do .600 thread job?

Ruger 22 Tactical
Ruger 22/45 MKIII TB
wire brush and hoppes!
Your reply did not answer my questions. I have the brush and hoppes thing figured out.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

glg20 wrote:
Bendersquint wrote:

Ruger 22 Tactical
Ruger 22/45 MKIII TB
wire brush and hoppes!
Your reply did not answer my questions. I have the brush and hoppes thing figured out.
Sorry my iPhone cut off the rest of the response.

Use the brush to clean off the threads with hoppes. Anti sieze wont do anything to help.

Proper length of a 22lr thread job is .400-.440 depending on the manufacturer you ask.

You bring the muzzle too close you will increase first round pop and erosion of the baffles.

If your threads are .600 you need a .20" spacer
ronin111
Silent But Deadly

Post by ronin111 »

The threads on the Spectre are .630 long. Using it on hosts with shorter threads will cause build up on the mount. My solution was to use a consistent thread length (.400) on my hosts or to use a spacer. I don't believe there's anything you can put on the threads to keep them clean.
glg20

Post by glg20 »

Thanks for the replys. Need to purchase a spacer.
SRM
Silent But Deadly

Post by SRM »

ronin111 wrote:The threads on the Spectre are .630 long. Using it on hosts with shorter threads will cause build up on the mount. My solution was to use a consistent thread length (.400) on my hosts or to use a spacer. I don't believe there's anything you can put on the threads to keep them clean.
The extra threads in the mount can always be removed, solving the problem.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

SRM wrote:
ronin111 wrote:The threads on the Spectre are .630 long. Using it on hosts with shorter threads will cause build up on the mount. My solution was to use a consistent thread length (.400) on my hosts or to use a spacer. I don't believe there's anything you can put on the threads to keep them clean.
The extra threads in the mount can always be removed, solving the problem.
And increasing first round pop in the process! No need to worry about the threads that get dirty, if it bothers you clean after use, its that simple.
SRM
Silent But Deadly

Post by SRM »

Just remove the thread not being used. Do not modify the chamber. That's all I'm thinking .
SRM
Silent But Deadly

Post by SRM »

And people say you don't need access to the crown of the barrel.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

SRM wrote:Just remove the thread not being used. Do not modify the chamber. That's all I'm thinking .
By removing the threads you WILL change the dimensions of the chamber, it may not be too noticeable but it will change it.
nice shot
Silent But Deadly

Post by nice shot »

I spray a light coat of white lithium grease on the threads, then wipe them with my finger to make sure it spreads evenly. So far, my threads have all been relatively clean, and they always open up a lot easier than when I just threw the can on with no prepping.
YHM 7.62 Phantom QD
T.I. Stratus .22
AAC Eco-9
YHM15 SBR (pending)
Trevor2011
Silent But Deadly

Post by Trevor2011 »

Bendersquint wrote:

Use the brush to clean off the threads with hoppes. Anti sieze wont do anything to help.

Proper length of a 22lr thread job is .400-.440 depending on the manufacturer you ask.

You bring the muzzle too close you will increase first round pop and erosion of the baffles.

How do you get a .20 spacer???
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Trevor2011 wrote:
Bendersquint wrote:

How do you get a .20 spacer???
I think silencer store sells them. We haven't done a run of them in awhile.