Potential gun ban near future

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Liver
Silent But Deadly

Potential gun ban near future

Post by Liver »

So I don't want to make this into a political thread and what not.

I have AR platform rifles and am very happy with the accuracy, modularity, longevity, and of course suppression. I would like to get more AR style rifles but I am happy and thankful for mine.

So if AR and AK style rifles are "banned" and ammo generally used in those platforms are hard to come by, what platform and caliber would you think would be a top contender with suppression in mind?

200 yards
Semi auto
Suppressed
Non common pistol round
Rifle
Optics of your choice

Personally I can't really think of anything, hence my question.
GoodOlDave
Senior Silent Operator

Re: Potential gun ban near future

Post by GoodOlDave »

Liver wrote:So I don't want to make this into a political thread and what not.

I have AR platform rifles and am very happy with the accuracy, modularity, longevity, and of course suppression. I would like to get more AR style rifles but I am happy and thankful for mine.

So if AR and AK style rifles are "banned" and ammo generally used in those platforms are hard to come by, what platform and caliber would you think would be a top contender with suppression in mind?

200 yards
Semi auto
Suppressed
Non common pistol round
Rifle
Optics of your choice

I would still go with the AR and AK style rifles. They will still be available in some form or another because every "assault weapon ban" ever put out has been crafted by retards, and have more loopholes than IRS tax law. Bayonet lugs and flash suppressors? Manufacturers simply take them off. High capacity magazines? The law specifically grandfathers existing high capacity magazines and there are millions of them sitting in warehouses as we speak. Ironically this is literally why that nast evil baby killing assault weapon that fired heat seeking tactical nukes was legal in connecticut despite connecticit already having an assault weapons ban.

Here is an extreme example of how one can get around the upcoming legislation...though I'll admit, you might be tempted to gouge your eyes out afterwards....

http://blog.riflegear.com/archive/2007/ ... e-and.aspx
Liver
Silent But Deadly

Post by Liver »

I know there will be ways around it / pay extra. Whatever.

Wondering if there is another rifle platform and caliber like the AR. I really really don't want a lever gun.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

GoodOlDave wrote:
Liver wrote:So I don't want to make this into a political thread and what not.

200 yards
Semi auto
Suppressed
Non common pistol round
Rifle
Optics of your choice

I would still go with the AR and AK style rifles. They will still be available in some form or another because every "assault weapon ban" ever put out has been crafted by retards, and have more loopholes than IRS tax law. Bayonet lugs and flash suppressors? Manufacturers simply take them off. High capacity magazines? The law specifically grandfathers existing high capacity magazines and there are millions of them sitting in warehouses as we speak. Ironically this is literally why that nast evil baby killing assault weapon that fired heat seeking tactical nukes was legal in connecticut despite connecticit already having an assault weapons ban.

Here is an extreme example of how one can get around the upcoming legislation...though I'll admit, you might be tempted to gouge your eyes out afterwards....

http://blog.riflegear.com/archive/2007/ ... e-and.aspx
If they are not in end-user/consumer hands when the ban goes into effect they are regulated by the ban.

So millions of mags in warehouses/gun shops would be banned from civilian ownership and would be required to comply with the ban.

But be serious for a second, do you think if a ban was even proposed(which it hasn't so far) that they would keep those mags in the warehouse or sell them to the scared hordes of gun owner? They will sell them while they can.
continuity
Elite Member

Post by continuity »

Wondering what you're asking.

200 yards: A 22lr will make it 200 yds. So will a 50 cal. One will dent a tin can at this range, the other will make it disappear.
Semi auto: oooooooo K... wide range of choices.
Suppressed: Suppressors are available for any nature of calibers.
Non common pistol round: why? :shock:
Rifle: Recognize the term. WTF are you trying to accomplish with this thread?
Optics of your choice: For 200 yds., 1x is minute of human. 60x will let you aim at the left inside nostril of a mouse.

If you're looking for a suppressed, ninja quiet, semi auto, non common pistol/rifle round, with appropriate optics... go play warcraft.
What amount of a man is composed of his own collection of experiences... and the conclusions that those experiences have allowed him to "know" for certain as "Truth"? :Ick
Liver
Silent But Deadly

Post by Liver »

continuity wrote:Wondering what you're asking.

200 yards: A 22lr will make it 200 yds. So will a 50 cal. One will dent a tin can at this range, the other will make it disappear.
Semi auto: oooooooo K... wide range of choices.
Suppressed: Suppressors are available for any nature of calibers.
Non common pistol round: why? :shock:
Rifle: Recognize the term. WTF are you trying to accomplish with this thread?
Optics of your choice: For 200 yds., 1x is minute of human. 60x will let you aim at the left inside nostril of a mouse.

If you're looking for a suppressed, ninja quiet, semi auto, non common pistol/rifle round, with appropriate optics... go play warcraft.
If you don't understand the question, don't respond.

I was wondering if there is a ban on AK / AR style weapons in semi auto and there is a relative ban (i.e. hard to find or expensive to find) ammo in 223/556 or 762x39 what rifle platform is out there?

Currently, it's my opinion, that the AR platform has a lot going for it. It's a very mature platform with many options. Options in caliber, availability of aftermarket accessories (drop in triggers, easy plethora of sights, etc.)

Also Warcraft does not have suppressors. Only one toon can use a gun.

I know you responded in a condescending manner for whatever reason you may have. So if your intent is to ridicule and deride, please do it elsewhere. Many insulting things I could have responded with, but I am not. I hope you do the same.
WhisperFan
Silent But Deadly

Post by WhisperFan »

Merry Christmas ....

First of all, there has been no firm legislation proposed as of yet .... so no one know what any potential future law will look like.

If a ban of some type occurs (which - by the way - is by no means a foregone conclusion) I believe the most likely format will be similar to the 1994 AWB and perhaps add more features, and certainly won't have a 'sunset clause' again!
So - if you are looking for a semi-auto that isn't banned or impacted by a ban, you can pretty much exclude the AR, AK, FAL, HK91, M1A, and Ruger Mini-14 platforms .... You may, or may not, find happiness with an M1 Garand (no pistol grip, no removable magazine, 8 rounds internal magazine on enbloc clips, chambered in 30-06 which is no longer a main-stay military cartridge)
The trouble with the Garand is that it is not modular (pretty much at all)

I think we all have to wait and watch, and see what develops.

The good news with the Garand is that you can get one a lot cheaper than an M1A and cheaper than many other centerfire semi-autos out there.
As nightfall does not come all at once, neither does oppression. In both instances, there is a twilight when everything remains seemingly unchanged. And it is in such a twilight that we all must be aware of change in the air -- however slight -- lest we become unwilling victims of the darkness.
Justice William O. Douglas
66427vette
Silent But Deadly

Post by 66427vette »

I predict a surge in high end bolt guns.
Liver
Silent But Deadly

Post by Liver »

66427vette wrote:I predict a surge in high end bolt guns.
Exactly what I was thinking. Yes I understand nothing has passed or been concretely proposed.
66427vette
Silent But Deadly

Post by 66427vette »

I fear a guy with a decent bolt gun and glass more than any a r15.
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

66427vette wrote:I predict a surge in high end bolt guns.
In the 1994 ban everyone was like "Well, if I can have just 10 shots it might as well be 45." It caused a lot of people to shoot larger diameter bullets.
seattlite
Silent But Deadly

Post by seattlite »

Hmmm.....so better get your threaded 45's while they are still reasonably priced and are available.

Anyone make a stainless factory threaded 1911?
66427vette
Silent But Deadly

Post by 66427vette »

Factory threaded mp 9's and 45's are pretty slick and cheap.
seattlite
Silent But Deadly

Post by seattlite »

66427vette wrote:Factory threaded mp 9's and 45's are pretty slick and cheap.
Agreed...how about some 1911 suggestions...I was looking at the Sig Scorpion or the Remington R1 Enhanced threaded. The AAC Knighhawk is really nice, but way out of my price range.
continuity
Elite Member

Post by continuity »

Liver wrote:If you don't understand the question, don't respond.

My bad. Should have just left it alone. Apologize for the spanking. No need to be butt hurt.
Liver wrote:I was wondering if there is a ban on AK / AR style weapons in semi auto and there is a relative ban (i.e. hard to find or expensive to find) ammo in 223/556 or 762x39 what rifle platform is out there?

Currently, it's my opinion, that the AR platform has a lot going for it. It's a very mature platform with many options. Options in caliber, availability of aftermarket accessories (drop in triggers, easy plethora of sights, etc.)...
Well, now... it seems you CAN put nouns, verbs, adjectives together in an understandable, reasonable form, that allows a focused answer. Actually not bad.

One up side to the AR platform, the "legal identity" part of the weapon being the lower, is that one lower can be used for uppers of various calibers. I have a couple of AR lowers, and at least twice that number of uppers. The uppers vary in set-up and caliber. As in a duty setup, varmint hunting setup(s), target shooting, and a couple of just for fun uppers... you get the idea. One additional thought is that different caliber uppers, may/will, require a specific bolt group that is specific to the round caliber used in that upper. All this to say that with one AR lower, many different calibers can be applicable. Very few other platforms offer this ease of caliber change, with the accompanying cost effectiveness of essentially having several different firearms at a fraction of the cost.
Liver wrote:I know you responded in a condescending manner for whatever reason you may have. So if your intent is to ridicule and deride, please do it elsewhere. Many insulting things I could have responded with, but I am not. I hope you do the same.
For the record, sometimes trolls join the forum. Even the 12 year old variety. I have a doctorate in pushing buttons. Trolls are too much fun to kick around, and when their buttons are pushed, the replies usually out them.

Intention was to bait a troll, or prod a big boy firearms guy into sharpening up what they were asking... and IMHO, you did so magnificently. You're still a FNG. Don't push it. Would hate to have to wake up my SSNcN.

Welcome. Hope my input is taken as constructive.

Peace
What amount of a man is composed of his own collection of experiences... and the conclusions that those experiences have allowed him to "know" for certain as "Truth"? :Ick
Tango2249
Silent But Deadly

Post by Tango2249 »

How is he a FNG??? He's been a member for almost 7 years...longer than you have. :roll:
“The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.” - Samuel Adams
kalikraven
Elite Member

Post by kalikraven »

You guys are forgetting that under the old ban a Silencer was considered a flash suppressor...
Going a little more discrete here due to some of my opinions...
2manygunz
Silent But Deadly

Post by 2manygunz »

Personally, I'm considering a sling. Sling stones lobbed in a high trajectory can achieve ranges out to 400m. The current world record is 477m. :shock: And they are absolutely silent!
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

kalikraven wrote:You guys are forgetting that under the old ban a Silencer was considered a flash suppressor...
Only when it was permanently attached to a firearm did it count towards the Ban Count though.
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

http://www.c-spanvideo.org/clip/4254274

She says make them NFA...

Let's just say she succeeded at that:

1. It would mean millons of people would be introduced to NFA, and it would demystify the program for them. If people go through the trouble of NFA registration, most people would just register them as SBRs - so the end effect is millions of SBRs and more silencers. Basically, every AR company would just start to sell NFA and there would be semi-auto M4 clones with 14.5 inch barrels.

2. That may force the $200 tax to be reduced and/or may force an instant check on all NFA. The tax would be exposed for what it is - the same concept as a poll tax - to discourage people.

3. Does that mean 30 round magazines would be allowed if you had an NFA registered gun? Maybe you would have to show NFA paperwork to buy 30 round magazines? Or you would have NFA rifles with 10 round magazines?

4. It would take away the stigma of using NFA for self-defense as NFA would no longer be basically machine guns.

5. She said that the reason to do this is because it is easy to convert an AR15 to full auto, so we may as well treat them as full auto. Does that mean, once they are NFA, she will support the new manufacture of full autos? Maybe if it looks like this will pass, that could be something thrown in. In fact, if this looks like it will pass, part of it should be a $5 tax and an insta-check on all NFA.

6. Obviously this would be an amnesty registration - as even she would not propose that everyone would have to pay $200 to get each of their guns registered.

What I am getting at is - I am not sure she would like the result of everyone getting SBRs and silencers. She should be careful what she wishes for.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

silencertalk wrote: 5. She said that the reason to do this is because it is easy to convert an AR15 to full auto, so we may as well treat them as full auto. Does that mean, once they are NFA, she will support the new manufacture of full autos? Maybe if it looks like this will pass, that could be something thrown in. In fact, if this looks like it will pass, part of it should be a $5 tax and an insta-check on all NFA.
If you think Feinstein would sign off on the new manufacture of machine guns for the civilian masses you haven't paid attention to her gun stances since she took her first office in California.

She has a problem with semi automatic military styled weapons why on Earth would she do ANYTHING to making all of the semi-auto's she fears turn into machineguns?

:roll:

Creative interpretation though, gotta give you that.
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

It is not like it is up to her - this has to be negotiated. She may do it in order to succeed in getting military-style semi autos into NFA.

But yeah, probably not - even if Republicans did push for it, which they won't.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

silencertalk wrote:It is not like it is up to her - this has to be negotiated. She may do it in order to succeed in getting military-style semi autos into NFA.

But yeah, probably not - even if Republicans did push for it, which they won't.

I doubt that she would concede to the allowance of a hundred million or so newly registered owned full auto machineguns in order to get the semi-autos under control.

If semi-autos are a problem then adding 25,000% MORE machineguns would be a solution?
continuity
Elite Member

Post by continuity »

Tango2249 wrote:How is he a FNG??? He's been a member for almost 7 years...longer than you have. :roll:
You feel the need to square off with me? Who TF are YOU? Liver seems to be able to respond to stuff all by himself. It doesn't appear that he needs a wanna be mommy to interject comments on his behalf.

Stuff it. You're a lurker. Got a problem with my post replies? Maybe buttbuddy asschap problem? Walmart has salve for that. Your lifestyle on the other hand isn't my concern.

Go back to the 9 year old airsoft forum discussions where I'm guessing you spend most of your time.

Pffffft.
continuity
Elite Member

Post by continuity »

silencertalk wrote:http://www.c-spanvideo.org/clip/4254274

She says make them NFA...

Let's just say she succeeded at that:

1. It would mean millons of people would be introduced to NFA, and it would demystify the program for them. If people go through the trouble of NFA registration, most people would just register them as SBRs - so the end effect is millions of SBRs and more silencers. Basically, every AR company would just start to sell NFA and there would be semi-auto M4 clones with 14.5 inch barrels.

2. That may force the $200 tax to be reduced and/or may force an instant check on all NFA. The tax would be exposed for what it is - the same concept as a poll tax - to discourage people.

3. Does that mean 30 round magazines would be allowed if you had an NFA registered gun? Maybe you would have to show NFA paperwork to buy 30 round magazines? Or you would have NFA rifles with 10 round magazines?

4. It would take away the stigma of using NFA for self-defense as NFA would no longer be basically machine guns.

5. She said that the reason to do this is because it is easy to convert an AR15 to full auto, so we may as well treat them as full auto. Does that mean, once they are NFA, she will support the new manufacture of full autos? Maybe if it looks like this will pass, that could be something thrown in. In fact, if this looks like it will pass, part of it should be a $5 tax and an insta-check on all NFA.

6. Obviously this would be an amnesty registration - as even she would not propose that everyone would have to pay $200 to get each of their guns registered.

What I am getting at is - I am not sure she would like the result of everyone getting SBRs and silencers. She should be careful what she wishes for.
My SSNcN thinks you've lost your mind.