Suppression of 17hmr

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

dan9591
Silent But Deadly

Suppression of 17hmr

Post by dan9591 »

Has anyone suppressed the 17hmr caliber? I found several treads discussing suppressor compatibility, but nothing posting results.

I know the 17hmr is supersonic and there is no low-velocity or sub-sonic ammo for it, but aside from the crack, how well does it suppress? How is it at the shooter's ear?
lafsnguy
Silent But Deadly

Re: Suppression of 17hmr

Post by lafsnguy »

I use a SWR Spectre on my 17 hmr and its great. I can shoot all day long comfortably without ear protection. Still have the crack but it's not bad at all. If you shoot it straight down into the ground there is very little report with a can on.
ATCDoktor
Silent But Deadly

Post by ATCDoktor »

The 17HMR suppresses well IMHO.

My neighbor and I both hunt small game with the 17HMR, I use mine suppressed and his is not.

The difference between the two in the field is remarkable.

The bang from firing is eliminated and what your left with is a noise that can be likened to that of a pnuematic tool being removed from its hose.

A robust psssssssssssssssst, if you will.

Shitty cell phone pic of my Savage with SWR Spectre.

Worth the effort IMHO.
Broken11B
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Broken11B »

Is the .17hmr as dirty of a round as the .22lr?

I would have to get my barrel threaded on my .17 but if it sounds that good I might have to give it a try.
ATCDoktor
Silent But Deadly

Post by ATCDoktor »

Is the .17hmr as dirty of a round as the .22lr?
Negative, 17 HMR ammo is extremely clean.

What makes 22lr so filthy is that it uses outside lubricated (somewhat soft) lead bullets (regardless of the "wash" be it cooper or brass looking that's used to supposedly used to limit fouling).

Some of the lead and lubricant from the bullets vaporizes when fired and when fired through a suppressor that vaporized s--t is deposited on the baffles of your suppressor. .

17 HMR ammo uses a copper jacketed bullet (just like a center fire rifle) and there is no vaporized lead or lubricant to foul your suppressor.
glocker17
Silent But Deadly

Post by glocker17 »

Not too dirty, you will se more powder fouling than anything. HMR 's sound good with a can. Love mine.

Broken11B
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Broken11B »

Thanks for the info, guys.

Nice setup, glocker.
cajun 22
Silent But Deadly

Post by cajun 22 »

My contribution. It is worth it. I had this barrel shortened to 18" and threaded. Can shoot all day without hearing protection.

rogerme
Silent But Deadly

Post by rogerme »

I have the Gemtech 17hmr and love it. Was worried when I first got it as it is very small it knocks the blast to nada. I can shoot all day with no ear protection at all.

"If you carry a gun, people call you paranoid. That's ridiculous. If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid about?"

Clint Smith
Deja vu
Silent Operator

Post by Deja vu »

I have an Element 2 in pending right now. I may have to get my marlin 17HMR bolt gun threaded.
dan9591
Silent But Deadly

Post by dan9591 »

rogerme wrote:I have the Gemtech 17hmr and love it. Was worried when I first got it as it is very small it knocks the blast to nada. I can shoot all day with no ear protection at all.
Do you think there is a noticable difference between the dedicated 17 can and a 22? I was thinking of the silencerco sparrow and had no idea there was a 17hmr can. Even thought I prefer not to, if there is a noticable difference, I may just break down and buy both...
rogerme
Silent But Deadly

Post by rogerme »

dan9591 wrote:
rogerme wrote:I have the Gemtech 17hmr and love it. Was worried when I first got it as it is very small it knocks the blast to nada. I can shoot all day with no ear protection at all.
Do you think there is a noticable difference between the dedicated 17 can and a 22? I was thinking of the silencerco sparrow and had no idea there was a 17hmr can. Even thought I prefer not to, if there is a noticable difference, I may just break down and buy both...
Noticeable yes significant no. Suppressors made to the caliber they are used on in my personal experience almost always do a bit better.

That said of course if you are not like me and do not mind buying one for each caliber then a multi use is fine. I have used several 22 suppressors on this rifle to see and while you can tell the difference with most all of them it is not enough for most to buy a 17hmr caliber specific model..
"If you carry a gun, people call you paranoid. That's ridiculous. If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid about?"

Clint Smith
OJB4
Silent But Deadly

Post by OJB4 »

cajun 22 wrote:My contribution. It is worth it. I had this barrel shortened to 18" and threaded. Can shoot all day without hearing protection.

Is this a Savage? I have a Savage that I'd like to have threaded but wasn't sure how well it sounded. Just curious if this is the same rig I have.
I've gotta stop this habit.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Looks like a Savage to me.
Broken11B
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Broken11B »

Looks exactly like my Marlin 917VSF only no fluted barrel.
cajun 22
Silent But Deadly

Post by cajun 22 »

It is a Marlin 917vs. Barrel was originally 22" but I had it shortened to 18" and threaded. The suppressor makes a world of difference. THREAD YOUR BARREL you will not be sorry.
Broken11B
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Broken11B »

cajun 22 wrote:It is a Marlin 917vs. Barrel was originally 22" but I had it shortened to 18" and threaded. The suppressor makes a world of difference. THREAD YOUR BARREL you will not be sorry.
Ohhh yeah! I win the prizeless prize. And because of this thread, threading my .17HMR barrel is on the list of things to do (before threading barrels becomes illegal).