Rossi Ranch Hand

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

smilner01
Senior Silent Operator

Rossi Ranch Hand

Post by smilner01 »

Took my .357 ranch hand to the local smith and he said there was not enough meat on the barrel to thread? I have seen them threaded on here. Any good smiths that have/will do the ranch hand? Also advise on how to ship to a smith (1st timer).
Last edited by smilner01 on Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Re: Local smith won't thread my ranch hand.

Post by Bendersquint »

smilner01 wrote:Took my .357 ranch hand to the local smith and he said there was not enough meat on the barrel to thread? I have seen them threaded on here. Any good smiths that have/will do the ranch hand? Also advise on how to ship to a smith (1st timer).
Not hard to ship, box it up, with no markings on what it contains and ship it to the FFL once you have verified he is an FFL.

I doubt it doesn't have enough meat, most likely the smith didn't want to deal with it.

Can't help you out on getting it threaded we are too backed up to take on threading jobs right now.
smilner01
Senior Silent Operator

Post by smilner01 »

so I do not have to disclose to ups or fedex or??? what is in the box? the smith got his calipers and said it only has 128, and i need 180???
Broken11B
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Broken11B »

I just shipped a 1911 back to Springfield through FedEx. Didn't disclose what was in the box, just said it wasn't flammable or otherwise dangerous. They shipped it right out.
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

If you can't find anyone closer look up JBJ custom guns in New Waverly, a few hours from you by car but easy enough to drop in the mail
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Broken11B wrote:I just shipped a 1911 back to Springfield through FedEx. Didn't disclose what was in the box, just said it wasn't flammable or otherwise dangerous. They shipped it right out.
Handguns are required to be shipped overnight unless between manufacturers.
smilner01
Senior Silent Operator

Post by smilner01 »

I don't understand how the wall could be too thin, look at say a glock barrel. But hey, if a smith tells me he can't do it, I definitely don't want to press him to. :? I am going to do some more looking around DFW, if anyone has a local to DFW, TX they would recommend let me know. If not I guess I will ship, just really don't want to...probably only seems like an ordeal until you do it once.
Last edited by smilner01 on Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

smilner01 wrote:I don't understand how the wall could be too thin, look at say a glock barrel. But hey, if a smith tells me he can't do it, I definitely don't want to press him to. :? I am going to do some more looking around DFW, if anyone has a local to DFW they would recommend let me know. If not I guess I will ship, just really don't want to...probably only seems like an ordeal until you do it once.
We ship guns and cans almost on a daily basis. Its really not a big deal at all to do. Just read the regs they will expect you to know how to ship it, if something happens and you didnt do it right you are liable.

Eachc courier service states how guns are to be shipped on their websites.

If we had the time I would thread it for you but we are too swamped to take threading jobs on right now.
doubleajaybrock
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubleajaybrock »

Don't forget to insure your package as well.
-Form 1 SBR AR
-AAC Ti-rant 45
-Silencerco 22 Sparrow
-AAC 762 SDN-6
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

And you can not insure for the tax stamp if it wears one either.
chrismartin
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by chrismartin »

doubleajaybrock wrote:Don't forget to insure your package as well.
You can only insure it if you are sending it by their regulations.
If you ship it UPS ground (for example) and don't declare it, that will be grounds for a denial of the insurance claim.
Broken11B
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Broken11B »

Bendersquint wrote: Handguns are required to be shipped overnight unless between manufacturers.
I used Springfield's label and they shipped it back to me; I didn't have control over the method of shipment.
ATCDoktor
Silent But Deadly

Post by ATCDoktor »

I am going to do some more looking around DFW,
You could try Hipes Consulting they would be considered local to you and from what I understand they do exceptional work reference threading.

Chili17 owns and operate Hipes with his dad and he is a member here. PM him and see if he can help.
srt-4_uk
Silent But Deadly

Post by srt-4_uk »

Bendersquint wrote:
Broken11B wrote:I just shipped a 1911 back to Springfield through FedEx. Didn't disclose what was in the box, just said it wasn't flammable or otherwise dangerous. They shipped it right out.
They can also be shipped 2 day air
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

srt-4_uk wrote:
Bendersquint wrote:
They can also be shipped 2 day air
Yup! It has to be shipped by air so it limits the amount of crooks that could acquire your handgun.
jaredr
Silent But Deadly

Post by jaredr »

definitely enough in front of the front sight on a ranch hand to thread 1/2 x 28. I ended up with just a little less than the .4" length in the published AAC spec, but it's more than sufficient to get the job done.

I had this done by Mike McClellan at M&M gunsmithing before I had a lathe. very reasonable prices and quality work. I did have to cut down the mag tube and relocate the barrel band/magazine retaining pin, but that was not much effort. feel compelled to point out that the high-quality brazilian labor force was kind enough to dish out and otherwise knarf most of the screws on the firearm for me when the were building it, so I didn't have to worry about marring their fine workmanship... :roll:
here's some detail of the threaded muzzle after all work was done.
and with suppressor mounted.

Also, the birch or whatever cheap wood they use for the forend is only slightly harder than balsa, so bear that in mind if you're getting a rasp or woodfile out when doing any fitting work...
Unobtanium
Silent But Deadly

Post by Unobtanium »

Right or wrong, you owe your smith a huge thank-you for not John Wayning a situation that he's not comfortable with. Examples of that can be seen all over any suppressor forum you care to visit. Good on him!
zeeew
Silent Operator

Post by zeeew »

You might consider going 5/8 threads, with the correct adapter.
smilner01
Senior Silent Operator

Post by smilner01 »

zeeew wrote:You might consider going 5/8 threads, with the correct adapter.
I have a 5/8 x 24 adapter for my mystic, would it be better to have that thread than 1/2 x 28? Bender, any advise?
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

smilner01 wrote:
I have a 5/8 x 24 adapter for my mystic, would it be better to have that thread than 1/2 x 28? Bender, any advise?
All depends on how much wall thickness you are dealing with.

JaredR's works great with the 1/2x28. I would do it a little differently. We will be doing a thread adapter along the lines of the P22 setup.

Looking at the specs the 1/2x28 is looking a little thin on the threading for my tastes.
zeeew
Silent Operator

Post by zeeew »

I have a 5/8 x 24 adapter for my mystic, would it be better to have that thread than 1/2 x 28? Bender, any advise?[/quote][/quote]

Hard to think that a 9mm, at 955 bore, leaves thick enough walls with 1/2x28 thread, but a mere 002 more bore at 357 leaves walls too thin?
If you have a 5/8 adapter already, cant hurt to run it past the local smith again.
I am with Unobtanium on this, a smith that says no to something they are uncomfortable with, is thinking of you and your gun, not just money.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

zeeew wrote:
[/quote]

Hard to think that a 9mm, at 955 bore, leaves thick enough walls with 1/2x28 thread, but a mere 002 more bore at 357 leaves walls too thin?
If you have a 5/8 adapter already, cant hurt to run it past the local smith again.
I am with Unobtanium on this, a smith that says no to something they are uncomfortable with, is thinking of you and your gun, not just money.[/quote]

1/2x28 is a fine threading for the caliber.

I would be more concerned about the shoulder and making it big enough. .4" like Jaredr is saying isn't alot of meat for a magnum cartridge to hang on. Hard to tell how thick the barrel is on it from the picture.

I would personally prefer a muzzle indexing special thread so I didn't have to worry about the shoulder. Then adapt it to the spec needed for the suppressor.
David Hineline
Silent But Deadly

Laws who needs stinking laws

Post by David Hineline »

Other than breaking federal law, declaring machine tool parts, instead of a firearm and insuring them the common carrier is not going to pay off when you put in a claim for a lost gun.

Who needs to worry about pesky federal laws.

Q: May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by common or contract carrier?
A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A), 922(a) (3), 922(a)(5) and 922(e), 27 CFR 478.31 and 478.30]
NFA shooters blow their load with only one pull of the trigger.
smilner01
Senior Silent Operator

Post by smilner01 »

Found a guy to thread it about an hour and a half away, I took it down to a barreled receiver and he is going to thread it and make the adapter as Bender suggested. So, the mag tube will not need to be shortened, as the shoulder on the adapter will be almost where the end of the muzzle is now. Thanks for all the advice guys! :D. I'll post some pics when it comes back home!
smilner01
Senior Silent Operator

Post by smilner01 »

Ok, got the ranch hand barrel back and put together. Here she is.