Threading Barrels?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Bruins2011

Threading Barrels?

Post by Bruins2011 »

Who does a good job threading barrels at a fair price? I have an AR15 heavy barrel that I’d like to get threaded.

Thanks in advance!
Captains1911
Silent Operator

Re: Threading Barrels?

Post by Captains1911 »

Until recently I would have recommended ADCO, but due to my recent issue with him, I now recommend against.
ATCDoktor
Silent But Deadly

Post by ATCDoktor »

Until recently I would have recommended ADCO, but due to my recent issue with him, I now recommend against.
Could you PM me the specifics of your problem??

I was considering using ADCO for sevberal threading jobs and would like to hear your review.
Captains1911
Silent Operator

Post by Captains1911 »

ATCDoktor wrote:

I was considering using ADCO for sevberal threading jobs and would like to hear your review.
It's for the most part explained here.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=100497

In summary, he advertises his thread job as being compatible with common suppressors, however it's not compatible with either of mine without the need for a spacer, and he offers no help other than to send it in a pay him to fix it by cutting and re-crowning.
rockman96
Silent But Deadly

Post by rockman96 »

Captains1911 wrote:
ATCDoktor wrote:

It's for the most part explained here.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=100497

In summary, he advertises his thread job as being compatible with common suppressors, however it's not compatible with either of mine without the need for a spacer, and he offers no help other than to send it in a pay him to fix it by cutting and re-crowning.
I read the other thread just now... ADCO did nothing wrong. I'm sorry you're having issues, but when you send something off for machine work you need to tell whoever is doing the work for you what specs you want it done to. Or supply the components you're using to them, and tell them you want 'this' to work with 'that'. If you don't specify what you want then be prepared to take what they give you. This is for ANY machine shop, not just ADCO. For .22, I use a Spectre most of the time and it doesn't care what thread length you screw it on, it always seats. I have sent several things in several calibers to Steve for threading and never had the first issue. But guess what... I told him in a note with a hand drawing what I wanted.

I have no reservation at all in recommending ADCO.
ACKF
Silent Operator

Post by ACKF »

We can do it for you. I do not know where you are located, we are in florida.
Captains1911
Silent Operator

Post by Captains1911 »

Perhaps, but I did exchange a few emails with him before sending the pistol in, explaining what suppressors I had and he made it sound like it would be gtg. In all fairness, from what i hear, the guy does really great work for the most part. He just rubbed me the wrong way.
Bruins2011

Post by Bruins2011 »

Anyone ever use US machine gun for barrel threading??
rogerme
Silent But Deadly

Post by rogerme »

Buy a lathe never worry about it again.. Just got done doing a 10/22 charger about 30 min ago myself.
"If you carry a gun, people call you paranoid. That's ridiculous. If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid about?"

Clint Smith
ACKF
Silent Operator

Post by ACKF »

PM's replied to. Sorry but was offline for a few days.
O2HeN2
Silent But Deadly

Post by O2HeN2 »

Let me put in a good word for Gary at GKCustoms in Colorado Springs. He just did two Contender barrels for me, and I snapped a couple shots after he was done with my .357 threading. He was in seventh heaven when I supplied him with Silencerco’s and Libertycan’s thread specs because it allowed him to thread them exactly to spec. He’s been seeing a huge uptick in threading requests as of late, for some reason!

Forgive me because I’m no machinist, but he used a reference bar to align his lathe, then used two spuds, the muzzle end goes in the bore about 1.5” and rests on the lands, the chamber end does the same - he does NOT index on the chamber but rather the lands beyond the chamber. He has assembled quite an array of spuds lately for doing this kind of work.

My mystic is still in jail, but I have shot the Sparrow on the Contender and the O-ring and mating surface keeps the threads absolutely clean!

He has no web page yet, but if anyone is interested, contact: [email protected]. Gary used to build full house IPSC race guns back in the 90s and compensators have much tighter alignment tolerances than suppressors, so the fact that my threading turned out so well didn’t surprise me.

Anyone looking for threading might want to give him whirl. Very friendly, great guy too.

Note in the picture of the muzzle end you can see a “defect” in the threads - this is where one of the front sight mounting holes was, and I told Gary to just leave it be because it wouldn’t affect the Mystic’s mounting whatsoever.

O2

Last edited by O2HeN2 on Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When seconds count, the police are mere minutes away...
You are the FIRST responder. Police, fire and medical are SECOND responders.
ScottNC
Silent Operator

Post by ScottNC »

Paladin Machine Service
[email protected]

3832 Gates Ford Road
Kershaw SC 29067-9375
1 (803) 475-7542
I had my DD barrel cut, crowned and threaded by him for less than $50 including shipping, turn around time door to door 7 days!
Great work, honest guy. I sent him the specs I needed from my suppressor mfg.
ColoradoPacker
Silent But Deadly

Post by ColoradoPacker »

O2HeN2 wrote:Let me put in a good word for Gary at GKCustoms in Colorado Springs. He just did two Contender barrels for me, and I snapped a couple shots after he was done with my .357 threading. He was in seventh heaven when I supplied him with Silencerco’s and Libertycan’s thread specs because it allowed him to thread them exactly to spec. He’s been seeing a huge uptick in threading requests as of late, for some reason!

Forgive me because I’m no machinist, but he used a reference bar to align his lathe, then used two spuds, the muzzle end goes in the bore about 1.5” and rests on the lands, the chamber end does the same - he does NOT index on the chamber but rather the lands beyond the chamber. He has assembled quite an array of spuds lately for doing this kind of work.

My mystic is still in jail, but I have shot the Sparrow on the Contender and the O-ring and mating surface keeps the threads absolutely clean!

He has no web page yet, but if anyone is interested, contact: [email protected]. Gary used to build full house IPSC race guns back in the 90s and compensators have much tighter alignment tolerances than suppressors, so the fact that my threading turned out so well didn’t surprise me.

Anyone looking for threading might want to give him whirl. Very friendly, great guy too.

Note in the picture of the muzzle end you can see a “defect” in the threads - this is where one of the front sight mounting holes was, and I told Gary to just leave it be because it wouldn’t affect the Mystic’s mounting whatsoever.

O2

If I recall correctly, I think that Gary was the one who threaded my Ruger 10/22 and my Marlin Papoose .22, back in 2006 or 2007. There was no way to keep the front iron sight of the Ruger, but the Papoose was not a problem because the front site sits back a half inch or so. The work was done well.

I was thinking the easiest way to get a Sig brand barrel with 1/2x28 threads for my 229 is to see if I can use a longer 226 barrel, and then have him thread it. I might drop him a line and see. I know changing the piston in my EVO-9 to a 13.5x1 LH would be cheaper, but I want to easily move the EVO-9 between my Sig and my Glock with Lone Wolf barrel.
Larry
EVO-9
M4-2000
Outback II
LCW Predator
AR-15 SBR