Advice Picking Pistol Host and Can

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Taurus50

Advice Picking Pistol Host and Can

Post by Taurus50 »

I've been reading for a while and most guys already have a host and it just boils down to determining which can fits their needs. I am stuck between getting a 9mm to suppress or a .45.

I am not opposed to buying another host to fit the ideal handgun can. As it stands right now, I have a Glock 21 SF and an FNP-40. I have looked at the S&W M&P 9mm or the Glock 17. I have also considered sticking with the Glock 21.

What are some pros and cons of using a 9mm vs a .45 as a host?

Looks like all factory .45 rounds are subsonic (I may be wrong here), and 9mm has to be specially bought as subsonic.

Your help is much appreciated!
fishdude

Re: Advice Picking Pistol Host and Can

Post by fishdude »

Get a 9mm host and a 45 can. Change pistons and viola! Get a 45 host later and enjoy both.
.22 Sparrow.......trying to wear the finish off of it without FA
Cyclone for 300BK
Titan 338 for 300wm
Spectre 2
Tirant 45 waiting on taxes....
LEON54
Silent Operator

Post by LEON54 »

I would stick with a 9mm setup. If you plan to plink, ammo is cheaper. 9mm subsonic rounds on a decent can are noticeably more quite then a 45 with a can. If you are going for absolute Sound reduction 9mm is the way to go. Backyard quite with the right rounds.
Taurus50

Post by Taurus50 »

fishdude wrote:Get a 9mm host and a 45 can. Change pistons and viola! Get a 45 host later and enjoy both.
What do you mean by - change pistons?

I'm still pretty new in the suppressor world.
Taurus50

Post by Taurus50 »

LEON54 wrote:I would stick with a 9mm setup. If you plan to plink, ammo is cheaper. 9mm subsonic rounds on a decent can are noticeably more quite then a 45 with a can. If you are going for absolute Sound reduction 9mm is the way to go. Backyard quite with the right rounds.
Leon, thanks for the info. Any recommendations on what host to go with?
LEON54
Silent Operator

Post by LEON54 »

Can't go wrong with a glock 19. I prefer it over my usp. It's a good all around host and it won't break the bank.
Flipz
Silent But Deadly

Post by Flipz »

I have, or have had, the following 9mm handgun hosts:

Sig P226
HK USP9SD
Glock 17 (sold it)
Glock 19
M&P9

Out of them the P226 is my favorite and the most quiet when suppressed. The USP9SD would be 2nd. And the rest tied for 3rd.
TheSentinel

Post by TheSentinel »

Flipz wrote:I have, or have had, the following 9mm handgun hosts:

Sig P226
HK USP9SD
Glock 17 (sold it)
Glock 19
M&P9

Out of them the P226 is my favorite and the most quiet when suppressed. The USP9SD would be 2nd. And the rest tied for 3rd.

+1 on the P226. My favorite host for my TiRant 45 is my P220. Just picked up the P226 awhile back, and it's a great host too.

Of course now I've started getting it into my head that I need a dedicated 9mm can.

Dammit.......................
ColoradoPacker
Silent But Deadly

Post by ColoradoPacker »

Taurus50, about "changing the piston". The piston is the part of the suppressor that screws onto the firearm's barrel, and it can be changed in many suppressors to fit different thread patterns on certain barrels. Maybe not that way in all of them.

I picked up an AAC EVO-9 about 5-6 years ago with a piston that fits a 1/2x28 threaded barrel for Glock. I have been using it on a Glock 23 with a Lone Wolf 9mm conversion barrel, and on a Glock 19 with a Storm Lake threaded barrel. The function has been great, and I have enjoyed shooting the suppressed Glocks, although I think the Lone Wolf conversion barrel is actually slightly more accurate than the Storm Lake.

However, I just bought a Sig P229 Scorpion TB to use suppressed, and discovered that the factory threaded barrel is much more accurate than my Glocks with stock or threaded barrel. Unfortunately the Sig's barrel came threaded for 13.5x1 LH threads, and I can't use my current suppressor unless I get either (1) a new barrel for the Sig threaded in 1/2x28 or (2) a new piston for the suppressor.

The 1/2x28 barrel for a Sig (made by Sig) is near impossible to find. I read many complaints about lot's of aftermarket barrels for Sig - some swear by Barsto, some by Jarvis, but they get an equal number of accuracy complaints. Other post that they hate the EFKfiredragon barrels for Sig, with fewer posting they like them.

Likewise, I couldn't find a tool in stock anywhere to remove the end cap of the suppressor and change the piston, so I decided to buy a really expensive (i.e. rare) Sig brand barrel that has 1/2x28 threads. A $75 piston and $25 tool would make more sense the next time around if I could find both - http://www.silencershop.com has the pistons in stock, but no tool. However, with the new barrel I will be able to take all three firearms to the range to shoot without needing tools to swap the host because they will all use 1/2x28 threads. With only the piston change I'd be swapping the piston so much that I'd worry about screwing up the suppressor.

Back to the original suggestion to get a .45 auto with a piston change - the .45 uses different threads (.578x28) and the barrel diameter is too big to use the 1/2x28 or 13.5x1 LH threads of the 9mm barrels. So if you use a .45 suppressor on a 9mm you will have to change the piston, unless you can find an adapter similar to ones used with a larger AK suppressor on an AR-15. I didn't go that route because I wanted the quietest suppressor, and using a .45 suppressor on a 9mm (or a .45) will be a bit louder than when using a dedicated 9mm suppressor.

If I had to do it over again, maybe I'd start with the Sig 229 and 13.5x1 LH threads with the proper suppressor and piston for the stock threaded barrel. This gives me a much more accurate weapon system, and one that would eliminate the possibility that someone in my family might accidentally put my .22 suppressor on a 9mm someday (my .22 and 9mm Glock suppressors currently both use 1/2x28 threads - oops).
Larry
EVO-9
M4-2000
Outback II
LCW Predator
AR-15 SBR
Taurus50

Post by Taurus50 »

Thank you for the detailed explanation. I like the idea of a can dedicated to a certain caliber.

It looks like I'll be going with 9mm. I need to do some reading before deciding on which host to go with. If there are several hosts manufacturers that have the same thread pitch it sounds like that would be best in order to limit changing the piston on the can. Or am I making the piston changing process out to be a bigger deal that it actually is.

I just need to find someone that has some 9mm cans in stock and just get the paper work started...haha.
Flipz
Silent But Deadly

Post by Flipz »

Taurus50 wrote:Thank you for the detailed explanation. I like the idea of a can dedicated to a certain caliber.

It looks like I'll be going with 9mm. I need to do some reading before deciding on which host to go with. If there are several hosts manufacturers that have the same thread pitch it sounds like that would be best in order to limit changing the piston on the can. Or am I making the piston changing process out to be a bigger deal that it actually is.

I just need to find someone that has some 9mm cans in stock and just get the paper work started...haha.
Changing out pistons is easy and takes no more than 2 minutes depending on the suppressor. That said, almost all of my 9mm handgun hosts listed in my previous post all share the same thread pitch, 13.5x1LH. The only one that is different is my M&P9 which is threaded 1/2x28. I should note that ALL of my barrels are factory threaded barrels. I don't own a single aftermarket barrel. Stick to factory threaded barrels whenever possible.

If you're looking for suggestions for which 9mm suppressor to purchase I'd recommend the following:
SWR Octane9 HD
Silencerco Osprey
AAC TiRant9

I personally own an Osprey and a Octane9 HD. Along with the TiRant9 they are the Top 3 on the market. You couldn't go wrong with any one of them.
ColoradoPacker
Silent But Deadly

Post by ColoradoPacker »

Flipz wrote:
Taurus50 wrote:Thank you for the detailed explanation. I like the idea of a can dedicated to a certain caliber.

Changing out pistons is easy and takes no more than 2 minutes depending on the suppressor. That said, almost all of my 9mm handgun hosts listed in my previous post all share the same thread pitch, 13.5x1LH. The only one that is different is my M&P9 which is threaded 1/2x28. I should note that ALL of my barrels are factory threaded barrels. I don't own a single aftermarket barrel. Stick to factory threaded barrels whenever possible.

If you're looking for suggestions for which 9mm suppressor to purchase I'd recommend the following:
SWR Octane9 HD
Silencerco Osprey
AAC TiRant9

I personally own an Osprey and a Octane9 HD. Along with the TiRant9 they are the Top 3 on the market. You couldn't go wrong with any one of them.
I'm curious, what are all the hosts are you using? The only factory threaded handguns I've seen lately are from Sig and H&K. At the time I got my EVO-9 I saved $500 by getting the Glock with aftermarket barrel, but now my tastes have matured, hence the move to Sig P229 Scorpion TB.

I have the Sig factory threaded barrel in 13.5x1 LH, plus I have a new Sig barrel threaded in 1/2x28 on the way. Goingquiet.com was able to provide one, but they cost almost twice what they did 2 years ago as the supply dries up and demand goes up. I don't recall seeing stock Glock barrels in any thread pattern.

I have .22 LR Walther P22, Beretta bobcat, and Glock AA 22 conversion all threaded in 12x28. I got lucky and found the Beretta barrel from an individual, and GEMtech sold me my threaded Advanced Armament 22LR conversion barrel for my Outback II (my first suppressor). Then I have the Glock 19 and 23 with EVO-9 as mentioned above with 1/2x28 threads, plus the DPMS SBR with 1/2x28. The Sig is the only one with 13.5x1 LH.

So, one must be careful to not to install the EVO-9 or Outback on an AR-15, nor Outback on a 9mm. It would be funny to see the M4-2000 with flash hider mounted on the Glock, but that would be bad news to pull the trigger too. I almost wish I had a different thread pattern for 22 than 9mm, which should also be different from my AR-15’s. I probably should have done all my 9mm in 13.5x1 LH. This won't be an issue right now unless I die and pass on my NFA gear and the family forgets what goes on what.
Larry
EVO-9
M4-2000
Outback II
LCW Predator
AR-15 SBR
Artful
Silent But Deadly

Post by Artful »

watch this before you buy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0cMuEpVOuQ
"Trying to tax yourself into prosperity is like standing in a bucket and trying to pick yourself up by the handle." - Winston Churchill
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

Getting a high-end 45 caliber silencer as your first can is the way to go. Dedicated cans may sound nice and ideal, but it's the expensive route. I have a TiRant 45 and can shoot any pistol caliber smaller than 45 with impressive results (got a G21sf and G19). To change hosts, all you need is to change the piston. And they only run $50-75 each. Way cheaper than getting a dedicated 2nd or 3rd can.

Try the simple multi-caliber route first and see how you like it. Worst case scenario is you aren't satisfied with some sounds and you end up getting a 2nd dedicated can anyway. At least you've justified it by then. So try the least expensive route first.
Flipz
Silent But Deadly

Post by Flipz »

[quote="ColoradoPacker"]

I'm curious, what are all the hosts are you using?

I don't recall seeing stock Glock barrels in any thread pattern.[/quote]

As posted above, my 9mm handgun hosts are as follows:

Sig P226 (13.5x1LH)
HK USP9SD (13.5x1LH)
Glock 17 (sold it) (13.5x1LH)
Glock 19 (13.5X1LH)
M&P9 (1/2X28RH)

Glock released factory threaded barrels for the G21, G17, and G19 about 1.5-2 years ago. The G17 & G19 are threaded 13.5x1LH, and the G21 barrel is threaded M16x1LH.

G17
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.ph ... 5x1lh.html

G19
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.ph ... 5x1lh.html

G21
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.ph ... 6x1lh.html
Taurus50

Post by Taurus50 »

Thanks again for all of the help. I watched the youtube video and there's something to be said for getting a .45 can and using it on 9mm, .40, or .45 ...initially at least. Too many decisions to make! If money wasn't a factor this would be a lot easier...haha.

I've pretty much decided that whatever caliber I choose it'll come from SWR. Watched a few videos of the assembly and cleaning procedures of SWR and AAC, and the SWR cans look like they're built like a brick shithouse.

I've learned a lot from all of you in the past few days alone. Looking forward to learning more. Thanks for being patient with the noob questions.
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

Taurus50 wrote:Thanks again for all of the help. I watched the youtube video and there's something to be said for getting a .45 can and using it on 9mm, .40, or .45 ...initially at least. Too many decisions to make! If money wasn't a factor this would be a lot easier...haha.

I've pretty much decided that whatever caliber I choose it'll come from SWR. Watched a few videos of the assembly and cleaning procedures of SWR and AAC, and the SWR cans look like they're built like a brick shithouse.

I've learned a lot from all of you in the past few days alone. Looking forward to learning more. Thanks for being patient with the noob questions.
You choose good! :D The Octane is a great can and easiest to clean and best for shooting lead like 22lr (see the 3 22lr vids here >> viewtopic.php?f=5&t=88461 )

I also order the Octane 45 (time to dust off my old 1911's!) but get many use out of the Octaine 9 on many hosts (22lr,9mm,38spl, 300 blk subs.) The Octane 45 is bigger and more heavy so factor this to how many 45's you shoot.

I keep it simple, all my hosts ( many) are RH twist like my rifles (I no like this way,that way!) On Glocks I use the cheaper aftermarket barrels for tighter/support chamber and can shoot lead or reloads with no worry.

Favorite Glock suppressed is the G-34, yes longer but a stinking tack driver and shoots with my custom 1911's! The 19 is handy size but not as smooth as the 34, the G-26 I use mostly with 22 kit for suppress. All take same mags up to 32 rounds and also my 9mm AR takes Glock mags. (again keep it simple) I use the stock barrels for carry but no problems with the LW barrels feeding so far and only $100 ea. Also all my semi 22lr rifles take either AR 22 mags or 10/22 mags so less piles to sort/bring. :mrgreen:

The Sig is quiet suppressed but I sold all mine before getting cans, they where to bulky for *me*, sit really high on the hand and hold less for such a large size, mags where twice the price, less aftermarket, needing oil/cleaning sooner and less easy to detail strip in the dark with no tools . :lol: :mrgreen: BTW, my old $300 CZ 75's shot better and only DA/SA style I own anymore. Still the Sig good pistol if you like them. I never use to like Glocks but they get my respect over time and I finally learn how to shoot them well.

Buy the pistols *YOU* like to shoot and can be threaded, everyone is different.

Picking the can is the easy part. :mrgreen: Also buy a 22 can, you will shoot it the most anyway. :wink:

Good luck!
Member of the LSU, SWR, and RUGGED underground. Shame Silencerco!
LEON54
Silent Operator

Post by LEON54 »

Yeah, my usp 9sd is just to big for me. The smaller glock19 just fits me better. The usp with the octane is a huge set up. I also like the glock26 with the octane, it's a pretty cool little setup. With all this gun control stuff going on you should probably get the ball rolling on the paperwork.
Taurus50

Post by Taurus50 »

LEON54 wrote:Yeah, my usp 9sd is just to big for me. The smaller glock19 just fits me better. The usp with the octane is a huge set up. I also like the glock26 with the octane, it's a pretty cool little setup. With all this gun control stuff going on you should probably get the ball rolling on the paperwork.
I agree, although I've read that NFA class items will not be effected in the looming bans that are being reviewed by Congress.

Seems like everywhere I've looked is out of the Octanes. Anyone have any suggestions on a reputable shop. My circumstances are a bit unique in that I am currently stationed in Germany and will not be back in the US for at least the next 8-10 months. I already have a trust set up with an AAC 762-SD on it that I got a few years ago.