Plastic bullets through a suppressor?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

dan9591
Silent But Deadly

Plastic bullets through a suppressor?

Post by dan9591 »

Anyone tried this stuff through a suppressor?:

http://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm? ... 18|830|848

Since there is an actual projectile, I'm wondering what kind of fouling this will leave behind in a sealed can. Do you think it could leave plastic deposits? Especially once the can has warmed up a bit?
Artful
Silent But Deadly

Re: Plastic bullets through a suppressor?

Post by Artful »

probably - but you would have to shoot a bunch to know.
"Trying to tax yourself into prosperity is like standing in a bucket and trying to pick yourself up by the handle." - Winston Churchill
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Those bullets are screaming, I can't imagine that it wouldn't foul the barrel or the suppressor.

Depends on the density of the plastic and the type of powder used.

I personally wouldn't use them myself.
RWBlue
Silent But Deadly

Post by RWBlue »

I have shot a good bit of the 9mm. Although I find it just fine for practice, I am not sure I have the balls to shoot it through a suppressor. It just isn't worth the risk to me.
wacki
Silent But Deadly

Post by wacki »

How safe would this be on a thompson 30 or Octane 9 HD? Those cans are tougher than most.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

wacki wrote:How safe would this be on a thompson 30 or Octane 9 HD? Those cans are tougher than most.
I still wouldn't do it.

Perhaps the 30 could survive a hit but even plastic flying at those velocities has the potential for killing the can.
wacki
Silent But Deadly

Post by wacki »

Anyone know how to clean the plastic out of a barrel? Is there anything that would dissolve this stuff?

I'm contemplating buying some.

Also, who sells 9mm?
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

wacki wrote:Anyone know how to clean the plastic out of a barrel? Is there anything that would dissolve this stuff?

I'm contemplating buying some.

Also, who sells 9mm?
I had a bunch of the 9mm plastic stuff for years, shot it through a can and had a baffle strike if you call it that, found a chunk about 4 grains in size in the tube, not much damage to the aluminum though....funny thing is that it didn't keyhole at all!

Left a good bit of fouling in the barrel as well, it was a Sig P226 I fired it through.
wacki
Silent But Deadly

Post by wacki »

Bendersquint wrote:Left a good bit of fouling in the barrel as well, it was a Sig P226 I fired it through.
That's what I'm most concerned about. If I shoot this it'll probably be unsuppressed. Is it easy to remove the fouling?
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

wacki wrote:
Bendersquint wrote:Left a good bit of fouling in the barrel as well, it was a Sig P226 I fired it through.
That's what I'm most concerned about. If I shoot this it'll probably be unsuppressed. Is it easy to remove the fouling?
Its softer than the gun barrel metal so it does come out. Took a bit of elbow grease and some Sweets762 to come out.

If I have any left I will gladly sell it.
jreinke
Silent But Deadly

Post by jreinke »

I bought a case of the stuff just to fart around with. Some friends and I did some lethality testing on pumpkins last fall. We placed are targets at 25, 35 & 45 yards, and then fired 5 shots at each. First off let me say that at no time did any of the bullet exit the far side or for that matter even hit the meat on the far side of the pumpkins. At 25 yards the bullets mushroomed to about the size of a dime. That surprised me. At 35 yards, the bullets flattened out and curled out maybe a 1/16" of an inch and at 45 yards the tips of the bullets were flat with no curl. Depending on the type of clothes you were wearing, I truly believe that these little plastic pills could be lethal out to 75+ yards.
[url=http://militarysignatures.com][img]http://militarysignatures.com/signatures/member1236.png[/img][/url]
xandrespop

Post by xandrespop »

I have fired Isrealie plastice projectiles through an AAC M4/2000. No issues as far as buildup. I will say that becuase these are really zipping along My guess is above 4000Fps they were very loud. and of course they needed to me single fires, even with an M2 bolt. I have not tried the palstic 9mm, or the russian plastic AK rounds. My guess is they are about the same. They are fun!
xandrespop

Post by xandrespop »

Bendersquint wrote:
wacki wrote:
Its softer than the gun barrel metal so it does come out. Took a bit of elbow grease and some Sweets762 to come out.

If I have any left I will gladly sell it.
Fire a few stadard Ball rounds after your done with plastic. Much easire. also there is a WAD solvent used with shotguns. You may also use ACETONE/ Fingernail polish remover. It eats most plastic. Just dont let it gety on wood, or painbted areas :shock:
wmdaniel70
Senior Silent Operator

Post by wmdaniel70 »

Does anybody have any experiance with TNJ (Total Nylon Jacket) bullets? I guess the nylon is just the coating in place of a copper jacket. Safe in suppressors?? Thanks.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

wmdaniel70 wrote:Does anybody have any experiance with TNJ (Total Nylon Jacket) bullets? I guess the nylon is just the coating in place of a copper jacket. Safe in suppressors?? Thanks.
Link?
jt526
Silent But Deadly

Post by jt526 »

Bendersquint wrote:
wmdaniel70 wrote:Does anybody have any experiance with TNJ (Total Nylon Jacket) bullets? I guess the nylon is just the coating in place of a copper jacket. Safe in suppressors?? Thanks.
Link?
Nylon coated lead, in aluminum casing from Herter's. Haven't seen any for sale in a year?

http://www.cabelas.com/handgun-ammuniti ... -box.shtml
Stupid, stupid NFA items.
wmdaniel70
Senior Silent Operator

Post by wmdaniel70 »

Yes, these are the ones I saw. Cabelas has, or recently had, some for sale. .40 S&W.