Lifespan of Inconel vs Stainless baffles on a standard AR15

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

wacki
Silent But Deadly

Lifespan of Inconel vs Stainless baffles on a standard AR15

Post by wacki »

Just wondering what the lifespan is for suppressors on a standard AR15 (16" bbl 5.56 semi-auto)

Say stainless 20,000 rounds
Inconel 30,000 rounds?

Just trying to get a ballpark feel.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Re: Lifespan of Inconel vs Stainless baffles on a standard A

Post by Bendersquint »

wacki wrote:Just wondering what the lifespan is for suppressors on a standard AR15 (16" bbl 5.56 semi-auto)

Inconel 30,000 rounds?

If you wear out an inconel baffle on an standard 16" 5.56mm semi-auto I would be surprised.

My safe numbers would be around 25K(non-nickel SS)-50K(inconel). I am talking wear to the point of noticing a sound difference.

Most likely any sound difference you notice will be due to your own ears going deaf not wearing ears while shooting it suppressed.
57fairlane
Silent But Deadly

Post by 57fairlane »

Just to add . . . if this is a thread-on deal, then the gas is much easier on the blast baffle as opposed to the AAC flash hider which channels the gas into 3 streams. I know there were a couple of threads on it with a 762-SD but on a 16", it will probably last longer than you own the gun anyways.
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

Bendersquint wrote:
wacki wrote:Just wondering what the lifespan is for suppressors on a standard AR15 (16" bbl 5.56 semi-auto)

Inconel 30,000 rounds?

If you wear out an inconel baffle on an standard 16" 5.56mm semi-auto I would be surprised.

My safe numbers would be around 25K(non-nickel SS)-50K(inconel). I am talking wear to the point of noticing a sound difference.

Most likely any sound difference you notice will be due to your own ears going deaf not wearing ears while shooting it suppressed.
+1

This important point is never emphasized enough.
eastern_hunter
Silent But Deadly

Post by eastern_hunter »

Barrel length makes a big difference with the 5.56. An 11.5" tube is much harder on a can than a 16" tube.
.300WinMag
Silent But Deadly

Post by .300WinMag »

Firing schedule? (heat)

Good luck
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

.300WinMag wrote:Firing schedule? (heat)

Good luck
Semi-auto, unless he is doing mag dumps it won't be an issue, or some "tactical class" that burns ammo.
OJB4
Silent But Deadly

Post by OJB4 »

Bendersquint wrote:

Inconel 30,000 rounds?

Reading this makes me laugh at myself a little bit. What's funny is that now that I've shot my hearing all to hell and hear ringing in both ears 24/7 from hunting and a bit of shooting without ear protection I'm NOW starting to buy silencers........shoulda coulda woulda huh guys. Or should I say shoulda coulda shoulda

Those who don't wear ear pro should learn from this 33 year old with hearing problems. Just wear 'em! Silencers or no silencers.

Hear's to turning over a new leaf in 2013 when my cans start coming in! I'm gonna wear my ear pro!!!!
I've gotta stop this habit.